The Caretakers' Website strongly advises School Caretakers NOT to use bleach in their Schools!


Bleach can be very dangerous. Sodium Hypochlorite is the active ingredient in chlorine bleach, if bleach is mixed with other cleaning products, a chemical reaction takes place, toxic gases called chloramines are produced. Exposure to chloramine gases can cause:  

  • Coughing.
  • Nausea.
  • Shortness of breath.
  • Watery eyes.
  • Chest pain.
  • Irritation to the throat, nose, and eyes.
  • Wheezing.
  • Pneumonia and fluid in the lungs.

Individuals with asthma or other breathing problems are particularly susceptible. A Caretaker who suffered from Asthma died using bleach a few years ago. He went round putting toilet cleaner down his toilets. He was unaware that a cleaner had put bleach down only moments before. The ammonia in the toilet cleaner mixed with the bleach and created dangerous chlorine gas. He died on the way to hospital.

Here are a few other reasons why you should not use bleach in your school:

  • Bleach does not clean lime scale - It whitens lime scale which makes you think it's cleaned it
  • Bleach rots mops and cloth which reduces the life of your equipment
  • Bleach makes floors porous which makes surfaces harder to clean the older they get
  • Bleach often comes in clear white bottles which can be mistaken for some drinks. Kids wouldn't know the difference.

Armed with this information, we very strongly advise Caretakers not to use it in their schools.

Here are a few Bleach related websites and news stories:
Woman Gave infant bleach
Third woman dies after drinks mix-up
http://www.educatingwellness.com/natural-health/dangers-of-bleach/
http://www.doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFamily/HealthyHome/Contaminants/BleachMixingDangers
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/11/children-accidentally-drink-bleach/15449901/
http://www.ivlproducts.com/Health-Library/Health-Concerns/Healthy-Living/The-Dangers-of-Bleach/
https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/AccidentSearch.search?acc_keyword=%22Bleach%22&keyword_list=on
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/probe-launched-after-byker-care-11716748
http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/11/19/why-we-all-need-to-stop-cleaning-with-bleach/
http://www.beyondtoxics.org/work/green-home-cleaning-campaign/bleach/
https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/eyes-ears-nose-throat/are-bleach-fumes-dangerous-bleach-exposure-increases-risk-of-infection-in-kids/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-87805/Nursing-home-residents-drank-chemical-mistake.html
 
The DTI say there are 30,000 accidents involving Infants & Toddlers every year. 60% are due to accidents involving medicines and 20% chemicals such as bleach or lavatory cleaner.

Please, don't store bleach in your school - Do not use it at all! Be safe and keep others safe!

Article originally published: Fri 9th May 2014

Admin log-in only