Cleaner advice needed

Work issues, H&S, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Fire Safety, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

scrubadub
Caretaker
Caretaker

Cleaner advice needed

Post by scrubadub » Mon, 20th Mar 2017, 6:03pm

HI we have a newish cleaner aged 35 and this is her first ever job. The problem is if there is something she doesn't like she goes straight to the HT instead of following procedure. Cleaner> Cleaning supervisor>Premises manager>BM. In reality the HT should have nothing to do with the cleaning staff. This has caused a row between her and cleaning supervisor. I've asked the cleaner to speak to her supervisor but if she doesn't like the answer she goes straight to HT. HT been asked by BM to send her his way but yet again tonight she went to the HT. I now have a stressed out supervisor. The BM and Prem Manager are not often here as we are a MTA and I just don't know how to resolve this......we seem to keep going in circles. After tonight plea to HT all cleaners are off Friday night (parents evening) with pay just Supervisor and I left to clean toilets only. Any ideas how I can get it into this cleaner to follow procedure?

Drone
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Re: Cleaner advice needed

Post by Drone » Mon, 20th Mar 2017, 6:31pm

Why doesn`t the Head point out the line of command to her? I would be inclined to speak to the BM & ask for an intervention at that level. She has been told & has chosen to take no notice.

Special1933
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Post by Special1933 » Tue, 21st Mar 2017, 7:57am

Yep my point too, the HT (or the BM) needs to spell it out to them, tell them straight, type it out, shout it from the roof tops, smoke signals etc ... :)

Pritchard
Trainee Caretaker
Trainee Caretaker

Post by Pritchard » Tue, 21st Mar 2017, 8:28am

It maybe worth trying to get to the bottom of the 'doesn't like the answer' part when the cleaner takes the problem to the supervisor. Is the cleaner asking for help/extra supplies or just moaning and what has the supervisor's response been so far?

JohnE875
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Post by JohnE875 » Tue, 21st Mar 2017, 8:35am

Who employ's the cleaners? If it is in house perhaps get BM to speak to all cleaners to explain how the complaints system works and who they can and cannot report incidents to.
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum

Skoolkeeper
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Post by Skoolkeeper » Tue, 21st Mar 2017, 10:20am

Got one of them have you, fair enough, when she wants to know something and ask you, send her directly to the HT, The long way, otherwise tell her directly to toe the line and get your cleaning supervisor to put it in writing to her, ps is she a parent of a child at the school? theses people seem to be nosy busy-bodies if you know what i mean, :coffee_break:

GARRY E
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Post by GARRY E » Tue, 21st Mar 2017, 10:47am

Is she on a probationary period ? If so, use this as an incentive to bring her around to the correct line of management
Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

"Do you have to use a pencil please Miss Worswick"(Mike Harding)

Lucastone1
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by Lucastone1 » Tue, 21st Mar 2017, 11:12am

I'm afraid that it is the Heads fault. He is accomodating her by letting it happen. The chain of command must be accepted. You are onto a looser otherwise. :coffee_break:

Acaretaker
Trainee Caretaker
Trainee Caretaker

Post by Acaretaker » Tue, 21st Mar 2017, 2:54pm

If this is her first job at 35 then

Cynical

She has been told to get a job that she does not want. If she is sacked within a limited time(think six months) she will go back onto benefits without any loss.

Nice

She has no idea how she should behave in a workplace and needs to be mentored about how the hierarchy works in schools. She has missed nearly 15 years of work experience.

Try to find out which then you can work on the problem.
Last edited by Acaretaker on Tue, 21st Mar 2017, 3:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All warfare is based on deception. Thus, when able to attack, we must seem unable. Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is quick to anger, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant." Sun Tzu (Art of War)

referee125
Trainee Caretaker
Trainee Caretaker

Post by referee125 » Tue, 21st Mar 2017, 3:02pm

I would reissue to ALL staff the correct procedures on how to deal with different aspects of command. if procedures are not followed then as previously stated the probation period could come to a swifter end. I know it sounds harsh but procedures are there to be followed!!
A pat on the back and a kick up the behind are 18 inches apart. Always choose the right one!!!!