Rainwater guttering - Bio hazard

Work issues, H&S, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Fire Safety, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Lucastone1
Caretaker
Caretaker

Rainwater guttering - Bio hazard

Post by Lucastone1 » Thu, 13th Jul 2017, 11:49am

I did wonder after i cleaned the gutters out after two occasions and afterwards i had very bad chest infections that the cause was something in the gutters. Now this year i'm having a firm jet them all out. I asked if the price include taking away all the debris and they said yes they will be removing the Bio hazard waste. So now my suspicions are confirmed. Just a heads up lads, be careful.

UnderPaid
Caretaker
Caretaker

Re: Rainwater guttering - Bio hazard

Post by UnderPaid » Thu, 13th Jul 2017, 11:58am

Yes its all the bird poop.
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort it self out.

adyjay
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by adyjay » Thu, 13th Jul 2017, 11:59am

Legionella can be got from stagnant water, e.g. gutters, car windscreen bottles when you spray the screen and have not used a proper windscreen cleaning fluid in it that kills the bugs, and this is especially more important in the summer, so in all if you are using a jet washer too blasting out the gutters then you could breath the droplets of water in and could be at risk of a respiratory illness.
I often wonder why its easier to complain than praise?
Understanding and co-operation is sadly lacking in schools towards caretakers from the staff etc....
When we are wanted they are all nice, when we ask for something they moan!
Men live their lives in quiet desperation when it comes to the opposite gender!
Don't trust anyone, they will only hurt you!
Its a sad situation really :(

Skoolkeeper
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Post by Skoolkeeper » Thu, 13th Jul 2017, 12:03pm

[Like.png] this post, very informative, [Wink.png]

Dragonrider
Admin
Admin

Post by Dragonrider » Thu, 13th Jul 2017, 1:39pm

Whist I was in hospital late 2015, there was one guy in the ward who was been treated with some weird radioactive goo via intravenous feeds as he had been poisoned by starling poop and had nearly died. He was well on the road to recovery when I left but he'd been in hospital for longer than I was so I can well believe that bird poop is dangerous and should be treated with respect as well as those in the correct PPE.
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.

UnderPaid
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by UnderPaid » Thu, 13th Jul 2017, 2:04pm

I clean the gutters with a toilet brush duct taped to a paint roller extension pole so i'm a good 10ft away from any potential contamination plus face shield and gloves.
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort it self out.

rich76
Caretaker
Caretaker

Post by rich76 » Sun, 16th Jul 2017, 7:56pm

Whilst everything said by all is true I think you are just unlucky Lucastone1. Cleaned gutters since I was a teenager and still do. Never been ill.
Saying that though friend of mine was ditching with me last year and he came down ill after that. I guess my immune system must be top notch. [Happy.png]