How many different cleaning products do you keep?

Work issues, H&S, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Fire Safety, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

spicknspan
Newbie Caretaker
Newbie Caretaker

How many different cleaning products do you keep?

Aug 2017 06 08:49

Post by spicknspan » Sun, 6th Aug 2017, 8:49am

Post by spicknspan by spicknspan Aug 2017 06 08:49

I was wondering how many different products you all have? Do you have different chemicals for cleaning tables, surfaces, floors and toilets etc? Or a product that covers most of those? How do you apply them...everything with a spray or just mixed with water in a bucket from your 5 litre bottle?

What is your opinion on cleaning with bleach in schools?

I work in a school with over 60 toilets to clean, 25 classrooms, various offices. etc Over 550 children etc. There are other cleaners not just me obviously. So quite a big site to cover and I'm finding it hard to get the best method of what to use that is most economical and cost effective and finding that it's easy to get carried away with carrying too many different products which then becomes a headache with regards to COSHH etc and cost.

Any info on your school, advice or ideas would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks

Drone
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Re: How many different cleaning products do you keep?

Aug 2017 06 10:10

Post by Drone » Sun, 6th Aug 2017, 10:10am

Post by Drone by Drone Aug 2017 06 10:10

Hard surface cleaner, anti-bac spray for the loos, toilet descaler. Other chemicals for floor treatment, such as carpet shampoo. In the days when I cleaned windows, I nicked washing up liquid from the Staff Room.

grimoopnorth
Newbie Caretaker
Newbie Caretaker

Aug 2017 07 12:46

Post by grimoopnorth » Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 12:46pm

Post by grimoopnorth by grimoopnorth Aug 2017 07 12:46

Hi I have an anti bac cleaner for loos/tables/doors handles and any other areas children touch. Citrus hard surface cleaner for floors and walls,toilet descaler,window cleaner,polish,cream cleaner. We don't use bleach as the LA has banned it in schools because some numpty(not in my school) put descaler down the loo then bleach after [JawDropped.png] . Shame the actions of a poorly trained/supervised individual spoils it for everyone as personaly I think bleach is good for loos.

Sitemansam
Trainee Caretaker
Trainee Caretaker

Aug 2017 07 13:27

Post by Sitemansam » Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 1:27pm

Post by Sitemansam by Sitemansam Aug 2017 07 13:27

Hi
I use Office Team they came in and sorted it. I have 4 different chemicals for all jobs I had the same problem so asked their advise I must of been ordering 10 different chemicals when I first started they even sort out how much loo roll the school gets through.
All COSHH sheets provided as well. One less hassle

Have a good day Sam

mapper
Caretaker
Caretaker

Aug 2017 07 16:49

Post by mapper » Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 4:49pm

Post by mapper by mapper Aug 2017 07 16:49

I scrapped about 4 different chemicals in favour of a safe bactercide product. Use it on all hard surfaces including loos.

I'm a believer that there is cleaning and there is bacterial control. So, I do still hold MP10 for 'cleaning' when required but then the bactericide disinfects daily. Education was an issue and I found massive dangerous overdosing going on which I reigned in.

I control use of bleach. I took it off them when I arrived as they were splashing it around and it was quite terrifying. I rolled it back out under strict control as it is useful for handling vomit and faecal incidents. It goes down the loos once every other week. I did run a coshh course with my cleaners on its use.

samsmith
Caretaker
Caretaker

Aug 2017 07 18:06

Post by samsmith » Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 6:06pm

Post by samsmith by samsmith Aug 2017 07 18:06

I use:

Jangro Cleaner Heavy Duty for classroom desks, chairs, whiteboards, doors,handles and frames, floors etc

Jangro Blue Away in toilets. This is very popular with the kids as they like the smell it leaves! (Peppermint)

Jangro Glass and Mirror Cleaner for internal and external glass doors and mirrors

Jangro Multi Surface Polish for desks etc

Jangro Purfumed Floor Maintainer for lino or tiled floors

Jangro Fast Acting Floor Polish Remover for lino or tiled floors

Jangro Premium Heavy Duty Satin Floor Polish 5 for lino or tiled floors

Jangro Kitchen De-greaser heavy duty

Jangro Contact Sanitizer used in the kitchen

Jangro Perfumed Toilet Cleaner (Apple) which the kids tell me, makes the toilets smell really nice!
Sam Smith
Devoted, caring and well respected Site Manager, Dad and Foster Carer

"Whenever there a hall that needs a mopping, I'll be there... Whenever there's a urinal mint that needs replacin', I'll be there... Whenever a kid has broken a window or barfed on the floor, I'll be there... All you gotta do is bleep me... You know how to beep me don't you? Just press the phone buttons and hit #" - Hank from Disney's Recess

Check out my blog - https://caretakersam.wordpress.com/

EBJ
Asst. Site Manager
Asst. Site Manager

Aug 2017 08 22:40

Post by EBJ » Tue, 8th Aug 2017, 10:40pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Aug 2017 08 22:40

Retired now so cannot really answer your question truthfully but defo no bleach, most schools ban it and some do not, its a subject that often gets raised on here, my own opinion is ban it and at least you know no one is going to mix up a lethal concoction by mixing two chemicals together, although I remember a caretaker on here had trouble with his cleaners bringing in there own chemicals which is a big no, no as no safety data sheets would be held for them and again who knows what they are mixing with them.
[Shock.png] [JawDropped.png] [Gobsmacked.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

thecaretaker
Admin
Admin

Aug 2017 09 12:12

Post by thecaretaker » Wed, 9th Aug 2017, 12:12pm

Post by thecaretaker by thecaretaker Aug 2017 09 12:12

I've updated the Bleach guide here:
http://www.thecaretakers.co.uk/CMS2/gui ... leach.html

The Caretakers' Website strongly advises School Caretakers 'NOT' to use bleach in their Schools.

I appreciate many of you still use bleach in school and that you always take all the precautions with it. But surely it is better to be safe than sorry.
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

"Vérité Sans Peur"

spicknspan
Newbie Caretaker
Newbie Caretaker

Aug 2017 12 19:27

Post by spicknspan » Sat, 12th Aug 2017, 7:27pm

Post by spicknspan by spicknspan Aug 2017 12 19:27

Some interesting thoughts there. Thanks everyone for your input and views, certainly taking them all on board. I appreciate your help on this one. Putting things into action can be difficult, a lot of people (cleaners where I work) are stuck in their ways and too used to doing what they want!