a new career in caretaking

New to our forum? Introduce yourself and make your first post...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

MrGriffith
Newbie Caretaker
Newbie Caretaker

a new career in caretaking

Oct 2017 11 14:44

Post by MrGriffith » Wed, 11th Oct 2017, 2:44pm

Post by MrGriffith by MrGriffith Oct 2017 11 14:44

Hi All,
Looking forward to starting a new career in caretaking having worked the last 6 years at a university doing online course developing. A drastic career change and drop in wages for me but ulitmately I hope I can get some job satisfaction and be more hands on. The split shifts should hopefully allow more time for my woodworking hobby too.

For too long I've been watching people do very little work for a lot of money and have had enough. I'm looking forward to feeling like I've done an honest days work.

I hope to find the answers to lots of questions I have about the role. I'm new to forums in general so if anyone wan't to give me a run down on how to find things, so I don't annoy anyone with FAQ's, I'm eager to learn.

D [Success.png]

Dragonrider
Admin
Admin

Re: a new career in caretaking

Oct 2017 11 15:17

Post by Dragonrider » Wed, 11th Oct 2017, 3:17pm

Post by Dragonrider by Dragonrider Oct 2017 11 15:17

Welcome Coop,

Wow, THAT is a massive career change! I enjoyed most of my time as a school caretaker, it was great to be able to save the school large amounts of money by doing much of the work, even if it wasn't often appreciated by the powers that be.
It was also really good to see the results of my (and my team's) graft. Unfortunately, new management had a clear out of the old staff and menials and made my life hell to the extent I had to leave for my own sanity and health.

Best of luck.

Okay, new to forums: Check out the Forums FAQ's here.

There's a shed load of Guides written by members of these fantastic forums available for when you've a spare hour or two...

[Hug.png]
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.

Drone
Asst. Site Manager
Asst. Site Manager

Oct 2017 11 15:18

Post by Drone » Wed, 11th Oct 2017, 3:18pm

Post by Drone by Drone Oct 2017 11 15:18

Welcome [Like.png]. If you wish to ask a question or make a point, simply decide on the most appropriate heading on the forum. For instance, a question about working practices or which is the best cleaning chemical to use on a certain job, should usually be posted in the Broom Cupboard heading. If you just want to chat generally - maybe tell us what you did at the weekend, then The Staff Room area is probably for you. But do not worry about it. Just jump right in.

craigus
Caretaker
Caretaker

Oct 2017 11 15:25

Post by craigus » Wed, 11th Oct 2017, 3:25pm

Post by craigus by craigus Oct 2017 11 15:25

Hello and welcome to the site. [Like.png]
FORTITUDINE VINCIMUS

MrGriffith
Newbie Caretaker
Newbie Caretaker

Oct 2017 11 16:01

Post by MrGriffith » Wed, 11th Oct 2017, 4:01pm

Post by MrGriffith by MrGriffith Oct 2017 11 16:01

Thanks all,
my wife is an assistant head at another school so we figured it wasn't worth my constant headaches and stress and we can get by on her wage, other people seem to cope on less than we will earn and job satisfaction is the aim of the game. A lot of people think I am nuts halving my wage but there has to be more than money to life.

Cheers for the advice on the forum, Ill be wading in soon, start the new job on 27th, absolutely terrified but i have to remember that its ok to be nervous and it will be difficult to begin with, but learning new skills will be good for me.

Daren

EBJ
Asst. Site Manager
Asst. Site Manager

Oct 2017 11 16:50

Post by EBJ » Wed, 11th Oct 2017, 4:50pm

Post by EBJ by EBJ Oct 2017 11 16:50

Wishing you all the best in your new roll from a recently retired caretaker, just ask on here when you have a problem as we have loads of experiance and we will be only to glad to assist. [Like.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

bigbird
Trainee Caretaker
Trainee Caretaker

Oct 2017 11 16:59

Post by bigbird » Wed, 11th Oct 2017, 4:59pm

Post by bigbird by bigbird Oct 2017 11 16:59

Good Luck, cooperd.

You’re going to need it!

My only advice is this:

You’re a STAR!
Until do don’t please them on their last request…
Then you’re something else!
Old School keepers saying, who died a long time ago and happy!
Steve [Like.png]

Drone
Asst. Site Manager
Asst. Site Manager

Oct 2017 11 18:20

Post by Drone » Wed, 11th Oct 2017, 6:20pm

Post by Drone by Drone Oct 2017 11 18:20

One more piece of advice. When you are posting on the forum, do not identify your school. And ideally, have a user name that cannot identify your real name. Heads & BMs have been know to trawl this site if they want to lay something on a caretaker.

JohnE875
Asst. Site Manager
Asst. Site Manager

Oct 2017 12 08:44

Post by JohnE875 » Thu, 12th Oct 2017, 8:44am

Post by JohnE875 by JohnE875 Oct 2017 12 08:44

Anonymity rules on here but that aside a great place for advice and tips. I too took a massive wage cut 23 years ago to get into this game and have never looked back. Loved both the schools their staff and students that I have worked in. Life/work balance is far more important than money.
My advice though is don't expect too much to soon. It took a while to get used to school hours and the silliness of the students and staff and there can be a lot of ignorance and arrogance.
Keep a smile on your face and never let the so and so's get you down.
Good luck with the change and your future. There is a mass of knowledge and advice on here, you just have to ask.
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum

MrGriffith
Newbie Caretaker
Newbie Caretaker

Oct 2017 12 10:43

Post by MrGriffith » Thu, 12th Oct 2017, 10:43am

Post by MrGriffith by MrGriffith Oct 2017 12 10:43

Drone wrote:
Wed, 11th Oct 2017, 6:20pm
One more piece of advice. When you are posting on the forum, do not identify your school. And ideally, have a user name that cannot identify your real name. Heads & BMs have been know to trawl this site if they want to lay something on a caretaker.
I'll look into changing my username if it'snot too late, thanks.