weekend work

Discuss Unions, Contracts, T&Cs, Pay, Leave, Performance, Appraisals...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

jcc90
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

weekend work

Aug 2017 07 07:45

Post by jcc90 » Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 7:45am

Post by jcc90 by jcc90 Aug 2017 07 07:45

Hi everyone,

I got a question about working weekends, I am the only member of the site team at my school and do not live on site, I keep getting asked to work weekends and at very short notice.

I have just been informed that the kitchen is having some works done and the company want access over the weekend, I have said no but then when asking the ht she has said just give them keys to let them self in to that particular area.

Have any of you done this before (giving keys to contractors that have NEVER worked at the school)

Also our main contractors keeps asking me to open up as well and if I say no he throws back at me "don't expect the work to be finished then"

sorry for all the moaning just finding this holiday really hard

Thanks in advance

Jay

Eddy
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Re: weekend work

Aug 2017 07 08:00

Post by Eddy » Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 8:00am

Post by Eddy by Eddy Aug 2017 07 08:00

It is a problem we all face and it takes a lot of will power to stick to your guns. I do not do anything at short notice unless it has no real impact on my own day to day life. I am lucky, insofar as i am in full control of all work that gets carried out here. If it is happening i WILL know about it. If i don't then it will not get done.

If the head teacher says give the contractor keys (and have it in writing), then you can do just that, giving the HT number for a contact. Also, make sure that the contractor signs a disclaimer that should anything happen as a direct cause from the being in the building their insurance covers them. Including incidental loss to the school should the be robbed, vandalised, local travelers moving onto site due to gates being left unlocked. Once you ask fior that most contractor either will not, or cannot commit themselves.

As for contractors, if i have arranged for a contractor to come in, then the tender for the job will include access times. If they cannot complete within the timescales then they do not get the contract. I also have clauses put in place that, should there be a need to overrun (it does happen despite all the planning put in place), then there are very good incentives for a member of staff to be paid to accommodate this.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.----------------------------------------
Anything is possible....If you throw enough money at it!

Drone
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker
Birthday

Aug 2017 07 09:42

Post by Drone » Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 9:42am

Post by Drone by Drone Aug 2017 07 09:42

If the Head has instructed you to give the contractors a set of keys, s/he has assumed responsibility for building security. Therefore you have no need to attend or remain on site. Follow the Head`s orders. The matter has been taken out of your hands.

jcc90
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Aug 2017 07 10:29

Post by jcc90 » Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 10:29am

Post by jcc90 by jcc90 Aug 2017 07 10:29

thank you for the replies, I think she has listen to me and agreed they shouldn't be on site with out me no the contractors have to decide what they want to do.

thanks

NGJOBS
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Aug 2017 07 10:55

Post by NGJOBS » Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 10:55am

Post by NGJOBS by NGJOBS Aug 2017 07 10:55

I wonder if said HT will turn out at 3 O'clock in the morning when the alarm goes off because the contractors did not close a door/window!!! [JawDropped.png]

Beartaker
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Aug 2017 07 14:52

Post by Beartaker » Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 2:52pm

Post by Beartaker by Beartaker Aug 2017 07 14:52

Do what the head said. Give the contractor keys and alarm code then turn your phone off when you leave work. Nothing to concern you mate.

jcc90
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Aug 2017 07 16:52

Post by jcc90 » Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 4:52pm

Post by jcc90 by jcc90 Aug 2017 07 16:52

Beartaker wrote:
Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 2:52pm
Do what the head said. Give the contractor keys and alarm code then turn your phone off when you leave work. Nothing to concern you mate.
The thing is she don't want them to have the alarm code its an area were there is not a sensor so it will be a matter of them working with the alarm on

Skoolkeeper
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker

Aug 2017 07 21:38

Post by Skoolkeeper » Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 9:38pm

Post by Skoolkeeper by Skoolkeeper Aug 2017 07 21:38

Why are the other live on site team members not available .why do the kitchen contractors need to work weekends .and as for your main contractor stating works will not be completed on time, tell them that's down to them and not you, as when all works being carried out should have a site meeting before they begin to iron these problems out. I was informed one day before my 2 weeks holiday away begun that contractors would be on site today, I said I would not be available and passed it on to the ht, I have heard no more, and yes I questioned who had arranged these works without my knowledge and informed that person tough, so much for a senior property manager at the county council, do what you think is best, but don't feel guilty if you say NO, good luck.

joethelion
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Aug 2017 07 22:54

Post by joethelion » Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 10:54pm

Post by joethelion by joethelion Aug 2017 07 22:54

Not your worry, it's the Heads school..theyre responsible.

jcc90
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker

Aug 2017 08 09:10

Post by jcc90 » Tue, 8th Aug 2017, 9:10am

Post by jcc90 by jcc90 Aug 2017 08 09:10

Skoolkeeper wrote:
Mon, 7th Aug 2017, 9:38pm
Why are the other live on site team members not available .why do the kitchen contractors need to work weekends .and as for your main contractor stating works will not be completed on time, tell them that's down to them and not you, as when all works being carried out should have a site meeting before they begin to iron these problems out. I was informed one day before my 2 weeks holiday away begun that contractors would be on site today, I said I would not be available and passed it on to the ht, I have heard no more, and yes I questioned who had arranged these works without my knowledge and informed that person tough, so much for a senior property manager at the county council, do what you think is best, but don't feel guilty if you say NO, good luck.
There is no other site team its just me, 3 others are on call ht and 2 dt but there all on holiday.

I gave them a date that works need to be finished and he said sometimes it wont be met so they need weekends, my problem is that the carpenter never turns up so I don't see why I should give my weekends up because he don't want to come to work. I will just let them get on with it if its not done they can explain to the ht not me.

The kitchen contractors are doing a few schools over the holiday and the time they are doing ours is when I'm away, they had the dates before they decided so again they can just get on with it.