Tree survey

New to our forum? This is the board to introduce yourself. Say hello to other members...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Monkey
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2023 01 15:37

Tree survey

Urgh. Help me out please.
I actually don't think I know what I'm doing..we need a tree survey doing.
Someone came out last week, he has quoted us over £5k for work that needs doing on several large trees, but no formal survey done, which is what we wanted.
If I want just the survey how much am I looking at for this?
Been in the job a year and not really had much explained to me, just learning as I go along and sometimes think contractors are taking the proverbial.

I know the work needs doing, some quite urgently but I just want the survey for now to add to the H&S audit then we can gather quotes for the work.

Can anyone recommend a company in the north west, is there anyone at the council?
I just need pointing in the right direction by someone who is experienced with this. Feel like I'm failing sometimes.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2023 01 15:46

Re: Tree survey

If there are trees that you know are dangerous in any way don't wait for a survey, get them done now.

It sounds like you have been unlucky and got a tree surgeon fishing for work.
There are tree surgeons that will do surveys for the purposes of H&S. Ask for a printed report on the condition of trees on site.
Its a matter of being very clear that the report is all you want or require.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Dec 2023 01 16:34

Our local council would send a bod around every year to do a tree survey. No idea as to the cost, I think it was part of some SLA or another.

Report would turn up about a fortnight later for us to action.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
Mastergunner
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2023 01 16:53

We pay a couple of hundred quid once a year for a tree survey. The surveyor then sends us his report followed by a quote for work to be done ( at that point I generally do it myself).
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2023 01 17:07

Just be careful to check that they are an approved tree surgeon. Just looked up our H & S meeting last week, you need to ensure they are ARB accreditation/certificate. We insist on £10million insurance as well. Do ask your county for approved contractors and the need for at least one more quote. If possible, cordon off the area if you believe there is a likelihood of an accident.
Beepy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2023 01 17:09

Just paid £210 + vat for ours. Itemises each tree with description, type, age etc. There is always something needs doing (we have nearly 40 trees), usually just have the urgent ones done where there's a safety issue.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Dec 2023 01 21:53

We used to get the same guy as Jay every year but once we became an academy i used the grounds company we had and they did it as part of the contract. Once i retired and a new BM was appointed she kicked out my frounds company who were great and brought in a one she had used before but I doubt they will even think of having a teee survey done now
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.