What did you want to be?

Pull up a chair, make a brew and chat with other members. Chat about any subject you want...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Apr 2024 10 15:50

Re: What did you want to be?

I suppose my one regret was that I didn’t carry on with my apprenticeship, the money was low and I had recently discovered girls and cars in that order, so needed more money. I drifted into many different jobs that were better paid than the apprenticeship but were all mostly non-skilled.

A few years later I got to know quite a few school caretakers as I had a job delivering general supplies to schools. The caretakers all seemed happy in their jobs and suggested I apply for an assistant caretaker’s job as there were usually vacancies. I did and got a job in a large comprehensive, I soon climbed up the promotion ladder successfully applying for a caretaker’s job in a primary school. The tied accomodation also attracted me as back then I lived in a not very nice area. After a total of 44 mostly happy years in the job, 37 in the same school, I retired.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
eebagum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Apr 2024 11 08:06

eebagum wrote: 8th Apr 2024 at 8:21am When I was a child I always wanted to work in Gardening. And on leaving I went onto become a Landscape gardener until the firm closed down. Then moved onto other areas of work. Did you follow your ambition when a child growing up.

What no train drivers.....
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 11 09:39

eebagum wrote: 11th Apr 2024 at 8:06am What no train drivers.....
I was due to start an apprenticeship in the printing trade. Following my old man. It was due to start in the September after I left school, so in the meantime started working for Sunlight laundries, and further studied Electrical Engineering and 15th edition. So never took up the apprenticeship.

Went on to work for a Office space lettings company as a maintenance man ( electrical) got interested in all the other trades.

I did apply to be a train driver, got all the way to the medical and failed due to my eyesight. they told me i was colour blind. Bit worrying considering the time i was working with electrics.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!
Twodogs64
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 11 10:35

Always wanted to join the army which I did .
I have no idea how I got into caretaking started on a housing estate then secondary school then a collage now for the last twenty years a primary school.
No regrets so that's a good thing .
Twodogs
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 11 10:35

eebagum wrote: 11th Apr 2024 at 8:06am What no train drivers.....
I got to know and was freindly with one of the parents at our school who I later found out was a train driver. It seemed like a good career from what he told me, well paid as well. I doubt there would be any ex-train drivers working as caretakers in schools for around half the take home pay of a train driver. Might be a few that dreamed of becoming a train driver though?

I once knew a caretaker that had an impressive model train layout in his attic, I jokingly along with his wife called it his train set, he didn’t enjoy that classification…
[Scared.png] [Big grin.png]
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... [Crazy.png]
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
OXSET
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Apr 2024 11 13:19

Wanted to be a driver in the army. History teacher then took one of our form class sessions at school and got deep into what the future will look like for my generation. RESOURCE WARS scared the poop out of me and thus ended up doing a maintenance and building course, then fell into an apprenticeship.. then fell into this job. I am happy doing this kind of work.
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Apr 2024 11 16:57

OXSET wrote: 11th Apr 2024 at 1:19pm Wanted to be a driver in the army.
That was me, Royal Corps of Transport. 😀
Got all my licences for ‘free’.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 15 08:23

Always wanted to be in the RAF..( actually just to fly)

But it was the early 80's and these new fangled computers were going to be the next big money earner..

Spoiler alert.. it wasn't.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
Maverick
Registered Member
Registered Member
Apr 2024 16 13:31

I always wanted to be in the RAF going through school and was on course academically then my parents split up and the wheels came off. Left with little to no qualifications and back in the 80s the way to get you off the dole numbers was to put you on a YTS. Moved from place to place and eventually ended up learning how to weld at night school. I then spent over 30 years in the industry until a work place accident left me realising I could no longer continue with no clue as to what else i could do.......then an advert for Site Manager came up and the rest is history.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Haddler
May 2024 07 22:21

I remember one time I wanted to be a singer lol

Admin Edit
Haddler, You registered on 7th May 2024 at 10:19pm and made this post 2 minutes later. You have not logged in since. If you wish to keep your account alive, please join in the community and make further posts or your account will be deleted.
Account deleted