Do you have a news story for us?

If you have a news item for The Caretakers' Website, we would love to hear from you. CLICK HERE to send us the text for your news story and include any images you would like us to show with the article. This is not a commercial service, so no adverts or product releases.


The remains of a former School Caretaker were tragically found in an armchair after a devastating fire. The blaze, at a Midlands home, had tragic consequences for Thomas Capper. He is thought to have leant on the lighter which had fallen between the seat and cushion at his Stoke-on-Trent home. The 83-year-old who had mobility problems and poor eyesight – just had time to use his ‘lifeline’ device to alert the emergency services...

He is reported to have said he was ‘on fire’, an inquest has heard. Our sister title Stoke-on-Trent Live reports Mr Capper’s remains were in the armchair, where he had spent much of his daily life. It wasn’t until firefighters arrived and put out the blaze that they made the grim discovery. CLICK HERE to read the full story on the Birmingham Live news website.

© 2001 - 2019 The Caretakers' Website