The Caretakers' Website is a non-profit making personal website. The Site was started in 2001 to provide a service to School Caretakers. The design and layout of the site was created by myself, when I was a Site Manager at Filsham Valley School in St.Leonards on Sea, East Sussex. A position I held for over 16 years.
I could not run a site of this magnitude totally alone. I rely heavily on the good will and support from many School Caretakers who are registered Caretakers' Website forum members who are prepared to offer their time to contribute toward the site free of charge. This also means that most of the content on this site has been written for Caretakers, by Caretakers which helps create a friendly community atmosphere.
We are a non-profit site. All the services we provide on our website are free for the end user. We do not have pop up adverts to annoy you and we will never sell, share or intentionally give away your personal details. We endeavour to make your experience on our website safe and as secure as possible.
The site has grown over the past few years and we get around 35-40,000 unique visitors every month. We get around 2 million page hits a month.
To cope with the extra demand:
- In March 2005 we completely redesigned our website to reduce the load on the server. We used Mambo, a content management system for the main site and installed a YaBB forum.
- In August 2007, we changed to a new server host Zen with a more professional approach, who was better equipped to meet our requirements.
- In 2014 we upgraded the main website to use the Joomla content management system and switched to a phpBB forum software. Both are constantly updated.
- In May 2017 we changed our domain name from a .net to a co.uk domain due to the additional costs of .net.
- In November 2017 to increase the security of our visitors and forum members, we changed from a standard http:// (port 80) website to an encrypted SSL certificated https:// (port 443) website. The site now uses Comodo TLS 1.2, AES with 256 bit encryption (High); ECDH with 256 bit exchange.
We hope you enjoy your visit and hope that you find our website useful and you visit us again.