About Us - The Caretakers' Website
The Caretakers' Website is a non-profit making personal website. The Site was started in 2001 to provide a service to School Caretakers. The design and layout of the site was created by myself, when I was a Site Manager at Filsham Valley School in St.Leonards on Sea, East Sussex. A position I held for over 16 years.
I could not run a site of this magnitude totally alone. I rely heavily on the good will and support from many School Caretakers who are registered Caretakers' Website forum members who are prepared to offer their time to contribute toward the site free of charge. This also means that most of the content on this site has been written for Caretakers, by Caretakers which helps create a friendly community atmosphere.
We are a non-profit site. All the services we provide on our website are free for the end user. We do not have pop up adverts to annoy you and we will never sell, share or intentionally give away your personal details. We endeavour to make your experience on our website safe and as secure as possible.
The site has grown over the past few years and we get around 35-40,000 unique visitors every month. We get around 2 million page hits a month.
- 2001 First initial html site hosted by BTInternet was set up. All pages were hand written which was extremely time consuming.
- In 2004 we moved to a new budget server host who had Apache servers able to run PHP and MySQL databases.
- To cope with the extra demand, we completely redesigned our website to reduce the load on the server. We used Mambo, a content management system for the main site and installed a YaBB forum. The budget host provider proved very unreliable and we searched for a better server host.
- In August 2007, we changed to a new server host Zen with a more professional approach, who was better equipped to meet our requirements.
- In 2014 we upgraded the main website to use the Joomla content management system and switched to a phpBB forum software. Both are constantly updated.
- In May 2017 we changed our domain name from a .net to a co.uk domain due to the additional costs of .net.
- In November 2017 to increase the security of our visitors and forum members, we changed from a standard http:// (port 80) website to an encrypted SSL certificated https:// (port 443) website. The site now uses Comodo TLS 1.2, AES with 256 bit encryption (High); ECDH with 256 bit exchange.
- We teamed up with a company called ShoutOutSafety to offer caretakers accredited online training at a discount price. Online courses include Asbestos Awareness, Manual Handling, Working at Heights, Display Screen Equipment, Fire Safety Awareness and Essential COSHH Awareness training.
- In March 2018 we took a look at how we can ensure the website and forums is sustainable financially for future years. We decided to add the option for registered forum users to subscribe to our forums. A subscription costs just £1.25 per month (or £15.00 per year). We stopped providing job vacancy information due to the time it is was taking to keep the section updated.
- In July 2018, we abandoned the idea of a subscription payment after problems with Paypal.
- In August 2018, we set up a section on the forum to enable employers to post their own Caretaker job vacancies. The latest job vacancies are automatically updated on the main homepage.
- In May 2019, we optimised the site to reduce the CPU load as we had been limited a few times. We upgraded the PHP on the server to version 7.2 and adjusted the screen width for both the main website and the forum to accommodate people with larger displays while still ensuring people with mobile devices could still visit us. We refreshed some of the graphics on the main website.
We hope you enjoy your visit and hope that you find our website useful and you visit us again.