One for DR: The Starlings are off

Share your photographs with other forum members. Discuss photography and equipment...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Nov 2018 29 16:18

One for DR: The Starlings are off

Just took this a few moments ago. Sorry about the wind noise, it is blowing a hooly out there today. Looks like the Starlings are off for the winter! Well, I think they are Starlings. I did promise DR I would try to grab a few shots the next time they migrated. Not so many as I have seen. Maybe I'll get another show tomorrow at dusk.
starlings.png
2.jpg
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

EBJ
Site Manager
Site Manager
Nov 2018 29 18:41

Re: One for DR: The Starlings are off

They say there is a decline in starling numbers this year, what amazes me is how come they never fly into one another ?. [Confused.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

scrubadub
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker
Nov 2018 30 06:52

we have geese fly over the school now and again. No idea where from or to but when I hear the honking I can't resist going out to watch them normally a fair size flock. No idea why it's not a daily occurrence but about 10 times a year they come over. [Big grin.png]

Jubbs
Assistant Site Manager
Assistant Site Manager
Nov 2018 30 07:42

Sorry mate but they're crows and going home to roost by the look of it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower

JohnE875
Site Manager
Site Manager
Nov 2018 30 08:16

Look far to big to be starling's.
Nils Illigitimi Carborundum

Dragonrider
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Nov 2018 30 09:26

Heck of a lot of crows there, if that is what they are. CT was there, he should know what he saw hopefully.

Up here Starlings are a pretty rare sight these days, never enough for a murmuration, rarely enough to make another starling!!
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.

Drone
Site Manager
Site Manager
Nov 2018 30 10:23

JohnE875 wrote:
Fri, 30th Nov 2018, 8:16am
Look far to big to be starling's.
Rooks possibly? Would the call suggest that?

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Nov 2018 30 11:03

It's a perfectly clear still day so far, so I might get some better shots tonight. Comparing different film footage found on Youtube to what I took last night, mine look too large to be Starlings but compared to crow footage, they look too small to be crows. Lets hope they put on another display tonight [Big grin.png]
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Rockstar
Caretaker
Caretaker
Nov 2018 30 11:15

I agree, they look like crows. But the best starling murmaration display I have ever seen was at Brighton. Masses of them forming spectacular patterns for a good hour or so, then all of a sudden, they all swooped down and roosted under the pier. Certainly one sight I will never forget.

Jubbs
Assistant Site Manager
Assistant Site Manager
Nov 2018 30 12:18

Dragonrider wrote:
Fri, 30th Nov 2018, 9:26am
Heck of a lot of crows there, if that is what they are. CT was there, he should know what he saw hopefully.

Up here Starlings are a pretty rare sight these days, never enough for a murmuration, rarely enough to make another starling!!
Quote from wiki... "In autumn, the young birds of the summer collect into large flocks together with unpaired birds of previous seasons, often in company with jackdaws. It is during the autumn that spectacular aerial displays can be seen by adult birds that seem to delight in the autumn gales. The species is monogamous, with the adults then forming long-term pair bonds."

A rookery can contain anything from 5 to 500 nests or more, depending on how many trees are in close vicinity. Sadly Rooks, Crows, Jackdaws, Choughs and Carrion Crows have all been labelled and hunted as pests/vermin, but in reality, these birds are a farmers best friend. They eat more insects that are harmful to crops than seeds.

An adage in them old days when sowing by hand was, One for the Crop, One for the Store and One for the Birds. Then cereal crops became intensively grown and that was that, they saw the bird as stealing their money. Stupid stupids, now we have to employ, insecticides, Herbicides, Fungicides and Pesticides to do the job of a handful of birds and some small mammals.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower