A pleasant Pheasant at my bird table

Share your photographs with other forum members. Discuss photography and equipment...

Moderators: jay, inspector, Dragonrider, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
May 2020 14 20:23

A pleasant Pheasant at my bird table

My next door neighbour took these photos. Not had anything as large as this visiting my bird table. Pity I missed it myself.

IMG_5523.jpg
IMG_5524.jpg
IMG_5526.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)

Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2020 14 22:31

Re: A pleasant Pheasant at my bird table

A beater once told me that they are bold and stupid birds that would try to outrun a predator over the ground rather than taking flight
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
May 2020 15 09:14

Re: 🐦 A pheasant at my bird table

Drone wrote: ↑Thu, 14th May 2020, 10:31pm A beater once told me that they are bold and stupid birds that would try to outrun a predator over the ground rather than taking flight
I didn't think they could fly. Whenever I've come across pheasants when driving down a country lane, they have always run away on their legs. I assumed they had their wings clipped to stop them flying off by the owners. You live and learn.

I've corrected the typo in the title. Didn't know I had spelt pheasants incorrectly in the title until I went to type it in this post.

I was only a pheasant plucker....

It was a very pleasant pheasant -Big grin.png-
(Truth Without Fear)

Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2020 15 10:36

Re: 🐦 A pheasant at my bird table

thecaretaker wrote: ↑Fri, 15th May 2020, 9:14am I didn't think they could fly. Whenever I've come across pheasants when driving down a country lane, they have always run away on their legs. I assumed they had their wings clipped to stop them flying off by the owners. You live and learn.
They are shot as they fly overhead! they do seem to prefer running though as I found out one summers evening riding my motorbike back from the coast, obviously observing the national speed limit -Wink.png- when a pheasant on the opposite side of the road saw me coming and ran straight into my engine/leg -Shock.png- did`nt half make a mess, blood and guts cooked onto a hot engine!
When I got home and cleared the mess up I realised it must have been a hen pheasant as there was cooked egg on my radiator -JawDropped.png-
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2020 15 11:42

We have a lot of them here in Lincolnshire and they do fly and you can compare them to pigeons as they would sooner walk out of the way than take flight, there is a crazy law regarding pheasants when they are a road kill, if you hit it in your car you cannot have it as a road kill but the driver following you is entitled to pick it up and take it home as a road kill. -Crazy.png-

I once saw a car with a dead pheasant imbedded in his grill driving along in town, i can only presume he hit it and thought it was knocked out of the way, he is going to have a shock when he looks at the front of his car, oh and the male is more brightly coloured then the female and you see more males around than females for some reason. -Waving.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2020 15 11:50

As a nipper out walking our Alsation one day a car stooped and said we just hit this pheasant, it`s stunned but OK could you take it, guessed I lived on farm, yes no problem so I end up passing the farm yard full of workers with a dog on lead in one hand and a pheasant tucked under the other arm -Big grin.png- when I got home and told Dad he rushed down to the farm to explain what happened! they were all laughing at the sight of me walking by with a pheasant and a dog -Crazy.png-
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
May 2020 24 08:41

He has become a regular garden visitor...

1111.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Truth Without Fear)

eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2020 24 11:13

EBJ wrote: ↑Fri, 15th May 2020, 11:42amthere is a crazy law regarding pheasants when they are a road kill, if you hit it in your car you cannot have it as a road kill but the driver following you is entitled to pick it up and take it home as a road kill. -Crazy.png.
Was told the same with deer.
When visiting relatives,I told them we had passed a dead deer.
They wanted it , but in the 15 minutes that had passed since we had seen it someone else had beaten us to it.
No ,there was no way this could have got up & run off
He who can does, he who cannot, teaches.
George Bernard Shaw
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2020 24 16:06

eggy wrote: ↑Sun, 24th May 2020, 11:13am Was told the same with deer.
When visiting relatives,I told them we had passed a dead deer.
They wanted it , but in the 15 minutes that had passed since we had seen it someone else had beaten us to it.
No ,there was no way this could have got up & run off
I had an ex army buddy who would eat any road kill, he had a special freezer just for them containing deer, rabbits, squirrels in fact any thing that walked, crawled or flew that died he would have it. -Crazy.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2020 10 11:20

Well, he was back again this morning. I put some seed down at the bottom of my steps and I sat on the steps. He wasn't phased by me at all. Took some photos with my own phone this time. Lovely colours with deep red around his eyes.

20200610_081738.jpg
20200610_081740.jpg
20200610_081833.jpg
(Truth Without Fear)

Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 10 14:03

The Pheasants we have today are pretty much decendants from the inbred lot they used for shoots, part domesticated, part brother and sister.

More fun shooting fish in a barrel.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower
Sharky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2020 10 14:58

EBJ wrote: ↑Fri, 15th May 2020, 11:42am We have a lot of them here in Lincolnshire and they do fly and you can compare them to pigeons as they would sooner walk out of the way than take flight, there is a crazy law regarding pheasants when they are a road kill, if you hit it in your car you cannot have it as a road kill but the driver following you is entitled to pick it up and take it home as a road kill. -Crazy.png-

I once saw a car with a dead pheasant imbedded in his grill driving along in town, i can only presume he hit it and thought it was knocked out of the way, he is going to have a shock when he looks at the front of his car, oh and the male is more brightly coloured then the female and you see more males around than females for some reason. -Waving.png-
This is very true. It is law. if you kill stop and remove it is classed a poaching!!!! when the next person stops and picks it up it "Fair Game"
"Can you just?....."
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2020 03 21:35

Lordy he is getting tame. He is now coming to the door of our kitchen. Next, he'll be in the kitchen in a pot lol -Big grin.png-

(Truth Without Fear)

inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Jul 2020 04 09:33

EBJ wrote: ↑Fri, 15th May 2020, 11:42am oh and the male is more brightly coloured then the female and you see more males around than females for some reason. -Waving.png-

Aren't we all -Big grin.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2020 26 16:27

He has become a regular daily visitor now. He stands outside the kitchen door 'crocking' very loudly to ask for some bird seed. I fear we might be fattening him up for somebody's ------ The seasonal word only permitted in December ----- dinner.

(Truth Without Fear)