I've always enjoyed polishing my cars

Share your photographs with other forum members. Discuss photography and equipment...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 2020 13 22:05

I've always enjoyed polishing my cars

I've always enjoyed polishing my cars inside and out. I've saved some photos of the cars I've own just after cleaning them up. Thought I'd start this forum off by showing you a few. Nice bit of elbow grease -Big grin.png-

gallery_109841_1612_87477.jpg
gallery_109841_1612_84112.jpg
gallery_109841_1612_47966.jpg
20170415_081649.jpg.d190eb969e953c074f5f1e17342263e4.jpg
20170415_081558.jpg.5fb04e84e311e2030387a0f820aeb9f2.jpg
20170415_081345.jpg.8077c50d152b5ec39de372fc113162b1.jpg
24.jpg
5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 14 10:22

Re: I've always enjoyed polishing my cars

Very smart CT -Like.png-

Back in the early 70’s with my first car it was always a Saturday thing, 2 or more friends would congregate around someone’s dads house wash polish (avoiding the rust of course) and tinker with our cars. Gradually as we all got married off Saturdays were used for shopping or family stuff and our cars no longer gleamed. My car also got keyed right down one side and this put a downer on the whole clean car thing for me.
I do occasionally wash my car now but the memory of my keyed car and the cost of getting it repaired is always in the back of my mind… -Scared.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Sep 2020 14 10:41

I gave up washing my own car many years ago after, on Two occasions, having a severe pain in the back of my Head/kneck that saw me off to hospital, the pain was that bad, and I could not talk to tell the receptionist why I was there, every now and then something will trigger it, I have to use the same pillows all the time or else, I have had it this last few days and have put that down to the Hotel pillows, they were OK, but not for my kneck, so the last few days have been quite painful (well, agony) only today, will my kneck hold my head up. I have had this problem since at least 1963 and has caused some quite funny, if not painful experiences over the years.

Been lucky over the lockdown, our next door neighbor LOVES washing cars, on a Sunday he will do his 2, my car, and another neighbors car.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 14 11:38

Always wash my own. it's a routine that if it's a full clean and polish takes around 6 hours for the camper and around 4 hours for the wife's Beetle.

If it's just a wash then it'll take 1 1/2 hours for the camper and 45 minutes for the Beetle.

I honestly believe that more damage is done to paintwork by the wrong products and techniques (particularly the hand carwashes that abound these days) than actually leaving it dirty until you have the time.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 14 12:16

I find it very relaxing and a pleasure polishing my car. -Like.png-
DSCN2869.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 14 13:40

When my lad was little i picked him up from daycare every friday as i finished early and as we got near the petrol station he would plead with me to go through the car wash.
One day it was out of order, "that's OK" he said "but can i still have the bag of jelly-tots you always get me?"
There's me thinking he enjoyed the car wash, No he just wanted the sweets! -Wink.png-
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 14 13:49

Not as keen as I used to be on cleaning my motorbike but it`s always presentable and the first thing I did when I got it new was to get it treated with https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... ant-review most amazing stuff I have ever used -Like.png-
It will stay on the front of a motorbike engine and protect from salt, when you consider that the front of the engine gets red hot and blasted with debris from the road the fact that it stays there is amazing!
Would be useful on a car to protect cadmium plated fixings under the bonnet and protect wheels from corrosion.
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2020 14 17:48

UnderPaid wrote: Mon, 14th Sep 2020, 1:40pm When my lad was little i picked him up from daycare every friday as i finished early and as we got near the petrol station he would plead with me to go through the car wash.
One day it was out of order, "that's OK" he said "but can i still have the bag of jelly-tots you always get me?"
There's me thinking he enjoyed the car wash, No he just wanted the sweets! -Wink.png-
-Big grin.png- Clever lad -Like.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
seanallen
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 13 16:57

https://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/nxt-tech-wax-2-0 its the best polish I used. Bit pricey but lasts ages.

Techwax.jpg
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2020 13 23:59

seanallen wrote: Fri, 13th Nov 2020, 4:57pm https://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/nxt-tech-wax-2-0 its the best polish I used. Bit pricey but lasts ages.

Techwax.jpg
I currently use Kiwami Extreme Gloss (Light). The Japanese are fanatical about cleaning their cars and have produced some stunning new products. I used to have to buy it from a UK firm who imported the polish from Japan. But now you can buy it on Amazon and the firm Nippon Shine has closed down. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/SOFT99-Kiwam ... 68&sr=8-36

71rv2N1PbhL._AC_SL1102_.jpg

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)