Fitted a Bubble Wall

Share your photographs with other forum members. Discuss photography and equipment...

Moderators: jay, inspector, Dragonrider, thecaretaker

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Aug 2020 01 18:27

Fitted a Bubble Wall

We had 6 fish die in 2 days. Gave everything a clean and think it might have been a lack of oxygen in the water. My son fitted an ornament tresure chest that filled with air and the lid would raise up and let the air out and close again. All very pretty, but it wasn't allowing enough air mix with the water.

So, I bought a new air pump (6w) and fitted a 14" bubble wall bar. copious amounts of air now, so should hopefully solve the problem.

Took a quick video with my phone (in landscape lol). Now all I need to do is buy some more fish to replace them. -Forgive.png-

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)

inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Aug 2020 01 19:33

Re: Fitted a Bubble Wall

Air Curtain is the technical term CT -Big grin.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Aug 2020 01 23:14

OK... I stand corrected. This is what I bought: HALJIA 14" Aquarium Fish Tank Bubble Air Stone Bar for Oxygen Pump

-Crazy.png-
(Truth Without Fear)

rigsby
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2020 02 08:59

How long has the tank been running before you put the fish in. If the tanks not cycled your fish will die .
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2020 02 10:05

I remember adopting a school fish tank years ago that wasn’t being cleaned or generally cared for, I soon learned it’s not an easy task. Lost some fish but read up on it all and after a complete clean a new pump and fish it was all hunky dory. I had to regularly fish out bits of food and other debris I assumed children deposited in the tank but then some bright spark poured some kind of cleaning solution in the tank probably bleach and killed all the fish...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it… -Crazy.png-
inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Aug 2020 02 11:45

I used to have a couple of tanks, but after suffering a few nasty throat infections, one an ulcerated tonsil that was difficult to treat, found that it was always after doing a clean of the tank, so out they went.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Aug 2020 02 16:57

Well, it was basically my sons tank and as with all teenagers, was enthusiastic at first then soon gave up on it. My wife and I decided to take it over.
(Truth Without Fear)

Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2020 04 09:53

Nice one.

It'll help keep the water 'interesting' for the fish to swim about in too.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Aug 2020 04 14:31

Nail wrote: ↑Tue, 4th Aug 2020, 9:53am Nice one.

It'll help keep the water 'interesting' for the fish to swim about in too.
They love it. The bubbles must tickle them as 2 fish spend all day swimming up and down the stream of bubbles. Makes a nice sound too, but the pump which was silent when I first installed it has started to vibrate. I hope it doesn't get any worse.
(Truth Without Fear)

Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2020 04 23:11

https://www.swelluk.com/blog/why-do-my-fish-keep-dying/

Lots of reasons here, shows Rigsby's advice might be helpful.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Aug 2020 05 17:02

Jubbs wrote: ↑Tue, 4th Aug 2020, 11:11pm https://www.swelluk.com/blog/why-do-my-fish-keep-dying/

Lots of reasons here, shows Rigsby's advice might be helpful.
That makes for some interesting reading. Thanks. -Like.png-
(Truth Without Fear)

Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2020 05 21:53

I think a lack of oxygen is unlikely unless you have too many fish or insufficient water movement at the surface, the deaths are more likely due to filter crashing causing new tank syndrome, using tap water without treating it, there are lots of other causes but without knowing what had happened in the 2 or 3 days beforehand its just guess work, do you test your tank water for ammonia nitrite nitrate and pH? I test weekly as it helps keep track of the water quality, I also do 20-50% water changes weekly on all 4 of my tanks and to date have never lost fish due to water issues.
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Aug 2020 05 22:08

thecaretaker wrote: ↑Sat, 1st Aug 2020, 6:27pm We had 6 fish die in 2 days. Gave everything a clean and think it might have been a lack of oxygen in the water. My son fitted an ornament tresure chest that filled with air and the lid would raise up and let the air out and close again. All very pretty, but it wasn't allowing enough air mix with the water.

So, I bought a new air pump (6w) and fitted a 14" bubble wall bar. copious amounts of air now, so should hopefully solve the problem.

Took a quick video with my phone (in landscape lol). Now all I need to do is buy some more fish to replace them. -Forgive.png-

Just a note in case you're not aware but that clown loach could reach 9 to 12 inches and should be kept in a group of 6 or more -Like.png-