Air Raid Shelters

A board to discuss interests away from the workplace...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

premisesq1
Forum Member
Forum Member
Oct 2018 22 15:18

Re: Air Raid Shelters

Ours had a room underneath the main building earmarked as a communications hub for the Council if ever the bomb dropped. Some old GPO wiring still about but mostly stripped out now.

GARRY E
Forum Member
Forum Member
Oct 2018 22 16:30

Just as an aside to this topic ,near my school there is a village in Notts called Linby and i wondered why this particular part was called Linby Docks then i found this on t'internet .
Enjoy
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/linby-docks
Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

"Do you have to use a pencil please Miss Worswick"(Mike Harding)

DAE avatar
Smithy
Oct 2018 22 22:34

Brings back memories of going deep and I mean deep underground to GDOC every six months at a RAF camp I was based at to await the test signal on the nuclear warning system.....any time within a 24 hr period. Longest I ever waited was 18 1/2 hrs.

UnderPaid
Forum Member
Forum Member
Oct 2018 23 08:27

We did have them but long gone now, we did have a Spitfire crash on school field during ww2. The boys boarding here at the time were told not to go near it but by morning they all had a piece as a souvenir, still got some in archives.
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort it self out.

btrousers
Forum Member
Forum Member
Oct 2018 23 08:50

we have a Morrison shelter that was done up about 4 years ago, really cool, used as a museum, for coffee morning, small groups etc.

Nail
Forum Member
Forum Member
Oct 2018 24 08:04

Drone wrote:
Mon, 22nd Oct 2018, 12:36pm
When I worked in secondary we had one round the back of the school, dug into a grass bank. We filled it up with a load of old desks - the sort with the pencil slots & inkwell containers. Then a contractor came along & bricked it up. So I guess that those desks are still in there awaiting some future excavation. They are now selling for about £60 a pop, I believe.
I would be going and chipping those bricks out! [Like.png]

samsmith
Forum Member
Forum Member
Jan 2019 02 03:27

Ours is underneath C Block and is used now as a strong room, where various records etc are stored. Ours even has a toilet. (When C Block was built, the shelter was built in case of Cold War.
Sam Smith
Devoted, caring and respected Site Manager, Husband, Dad and Foster Carer

"Whenever there a hall that needs a moppin', I'll be there... Whenever there's a urinal mint that needs replacin', I'll be there... Whenever a kid breaks a window or barfed on the floor, I'll be there... All you gotta do is bleep me... You know how to beep me don't you Murial? Just press the phone buttons and hit #" - Hank from Disney's Recess

Check out my blog - https://tinyurl.com/swsmith