ATI Parthenon Demo

A board to discuss interests away from the workplace. Chat about interests outside of school...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 03 13:29

ATI Parthenon Demo

Many moons ago, I was a news reporter for the Technology Vault (.TV) website (anyone remember that far back?).

I became good friends with a chap at ATI (in those days they just made graphics cards for computers). To show off their graphics cards, ATI commissioned various people to make short demos. One such chap was a guy named Paul Debevec and he scanned The Parthenon in Athens and made a demo run on the Radeon 1800 graphics card which was to be released in 2005. Or so we were told, the public were never actually given a copy of the running demo program (as was the case with all other demos at the time), but were shown a video of it supposedly running on the Radeon 1800 graphics card. I teased my contact at ATI and asked if I could have a copy of the program to prove it as I had purchased the Radeon 1800.

Well, after many months of begging, he relented and sent me a private link to the massive program that run it. I still have it. And although it never ran as smoothly as the video showed, it did actually run on my computer.

I no longer have an ATI graphics card, I have an Nvidia card which isn't able to run the program. But while having a clean up of one of my hard drives, I found 2 videos which I thought you might be interested in seeing.

A bit of background... In the 1800's, Britain raided the Parthenon in Athens and took all the statues and artwork and put them on display in the British Museum. Paul Debevec took 3D scans of all the statues and artwork and used computers to place them back in their rightful positions back on The Parthenon. The statues and artwork are still in the British Museum to this day. A shameful behaviour by the Brits and is a reflection to how poor archaeology was at that time. The Parthenon was just stripped for our own gains.

The first video is by Paul Debevec showing his initial work. The second video is the demo running on the ATI Radeon 1800 graphics card. This work was considered groundbreaking at the time, but is probably old hat to what can be achieved with today's computers. Happy memories... [Big grin.png]

Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Mick
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 03 14:18

Re: ATI Parthenon Demo

First vid clip is saying "Video unavailable"

Second one plays OK

inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
May 2019 03 18:21

Remember .TV very well, it where I first met you, DR, jay and teabee, really helpfull site, I can also remember the association with graphics card company, and DR helped me install a DVD write/reader.

Keyolder
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 04 13:39

I remember .TV as well, I spent a small fortune buying different graphics cards, ATI Rage 128 pro, 3DFX Voodoo 3 and Banshee, and the first generation of Nvidia Geforce plus later models.
I used to run those manufacturers and 3dMark demo’s trying different drivers with rudimentary overclocking and tweaking settings to get better frame rates,all the time keeping everything crossed to not see the bsod...
[Like.png]
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

Dragonrider
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 05 09:46

Yep, I too remember .tv as well as meeting CT, 'Spector and Jay for the first time.

Sadly can't remember much else about it now...

I am however currently looking for a reasonable low profile video card that will drive two monitors so I can split the screen over the two screens, I used to have a nice one that packed up, and my current computer has multiple video outputs built-in, but no matter how I try, the durn thing will only drive one monitor! Apparently, they are too old for the chassis sockets...
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.

inspector
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
May 2019 05 13:23

Dragonrider wrote:
Sun, Jth May 2019, 9:46am
Yep, I too remember .tv as well as meeting CT, 'Spector and Jay for the first time.

Sadly can't remember much else about it now...

the durn thing will only drive one monitor! Apparently, they are too old for the chassis sockets...
Bit like us all now [Sleepy.png]

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 05 15:27

Graphics cards all seem to have DisplayPort or hdmi connection these days, which my old monitor doesn't have. So if I was to get a new card, I'd have to buy a new monitor too [Angry.png]

Rockstar
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 07 09:17

My son has just told me that a lady who is involved in computer gaming lazer mapped the whole of the inside of Notre Dame cathedral. It turns out that this is the only accurate detailed plan of the place and it will be used in the reconstruction. Modern technology eh? Its fantastic. - Not that I understand most of it! [Shock.png]

Dragonrider
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 11 08:54

thecaretaker wrote:
Sun, Jth May 2019, 3:27pm
Graphics cards all seem to have DisplayPort or HDMI connection these days, which my old monitor doesn't have. So if I was to get a new card, I'd have to buy a new monitor too [Angry.png]
My computer came with RGB (the normal blue plugs), DVI (grey plugs) and HDMI (USB like plugs) but now matter which lead I tried, the second monitor was never recognised. I've just splashed out on a rather nice GeForce GT710 card which has the same sockets as my computer's motherboards, but it has 2Gb onboard memory and is sweet! Not a bad price either, about £35 including delivery. But of course, it still did not recognise my older second monitor.

Then this morning, after sleeping on it, I tried something different, might work for you too CT. Leaving my left-hand monitor plugged into the new card, plugged a second monitor into the RGB socket of the onboard video card. No joy, other than my second (right hand) monitor became the main monitor. The software that came with the new card couldn't find the left-hand monitor, but it did offer to "aggressively" search for a second monitor. Still didn't find it, but then offered to look for a "television" plugged in, and found it. The software even accepted that the left-hand monitor was on the left of my desk and the mouse whizzes between the two monitors and the desktop is now shared over two 20" widescreen monitors.

Which is GREAT for working on websites and editing stuff, I can have a website public site full screen on one screen and the admin side of things on the other screen, which just makes editing a doddle now. [Like.png]
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 11 09:28

To be honest DR, it isn't just my monitor that isn't compatible, my entire system, although still running like lightning, has seen a lot of work over the years. Even the rubberised case (won't be buying one like this again) is perishing. Don't know what the life expectancy of an Asus MB is, but I expect I might have to buy a new system soon. Haven't told Mrs CT yet.