Rat Poison

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

ash70
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 16 13:21

Rat Poison

For the first time i've been asked to put down rat poison in half term. Normally we would get pest control in but this time i've been told to do it. Is this safe to do or should it be performed by a company any ideas
my life is like a game of tetris i never get the block i want
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 16 14:07

Re: Rat Poison

A few times in the past I have been asked to set poison for rodents or insects and I have politely declined alluding to my belief and ethics. I suggest they kill the creatures themselves and point out nowhere in my contract does it say I need to kill. It's always worked and as far as I know no one has actually set poison out. They call someone else.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 16 14:16

Do you have the poison? I seem to remember being told in the past that the stuff that non-professionals can buy is not effective as the rats can be resistant to it. I don't know but I would personally refuse and insist on getting the experts in.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 16 14:59

I have always in the past declined from baiting or laying traps for various pests, professional knowledge experience and their insurance in my mind is required for this task. Expensive yes but takes away the blame if little Johnny or Jane decide to ingest the stuff and heaven forbid suffer trauma because of it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 16 15:17

Pest control should always be done by the professionals not school staff no matter what you are employed as, they know the signs and what to look for and what is the best and human way of disposing off them.

Thye may want you to lay it down during the period children are not in school but what about the climb over the fence brigade to play and also not forgetting other wild life that walk the school grounds during the quite periods,, poison does not discriminate between a rat and any other wildlife creature.

You will also have to write up a complete Risk Assessment and have a metal lockable storage container marked poison and what to do if accidently swallowed. start adding all this additional costs and hiring a professional would not be so dear. -Wink.png-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2020 16 16:44

I believe you need a licence to buy proper rat poison and I am presuming a certificate to get the licence.

Stay well clear. Get in the professionals, there is a time and place to save some cash, this is not one of them.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-