Return of Schools - Honest opinion

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Hedgehog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 24 21:01

Return of Schools - Honest opinion

So come on , realistically what do you expect the following months will bring?

Will we return by Easter, will it be after Easter or will the whole year be pretty much written off and return planned for September? -Disappointment.png- -Scared.png-
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 24 21:36

Re: Return of Schools - Honest opinion

Can't we have schools teaching a relatively small class size for 3 hours a day, twice a week with maybe two sessions a day for each year. No play time or lunch breaks, eat before they come to school or collect pack lunch to go home with.
Thats means each year would get taught one days worth a week at least.
Distancing rules would be relativiely easy to implicate with such small gatherings.
It would keep them synched up to the national curriculum and give them homework for parents to indulge in with online resources ?
It'd keep parents in communication with teachers and what they'd need for home schooling as well.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower
Cliff_Promise
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 07:19

I think we should stay closed until they reach a certain number of people vaccinated.
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 07:49

can not see a return to normal before the return in September and that is only if we all get the jabs ,our school is not set out for any distancing the bubble is popped soon as they come through the gate. We are about half full at the mo I think it should stay that way till things slow down a bit. but we are just pond life
jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 08:36

I don't think for a minute students will return anytime before the Easter holidays.

My hope for after Easter would be Yr's 11 and 13 could return full time for what ever remaining time they have before they finish, and for the other year groups to alternate between being in school and at home remote learning. That would allow the school to run with less bodies on site each day, which has got to better. Once 11 and 13 leave, you could increase the time the other years are in school.

Unfortunately I very much doubt this will become an option, we will just go back to a full school and yet more positive cases again!!
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 09:17

Once they've vaccinated the over 50's, in April, they will have covered the groups that make up 99% of all Covid deaths It's at this point that they'll start doing the remainder of the 1M school staff who have not already had the injection. I imagine it will be at the conclusion of either of these two phases that schools will return. If it's at the earlier point it will be with the promise of school staff being vaccinated promptly.

I reckon that they'll backtrack on the idea of some pupils being examined on what they have been learnt. With the increased likelihood of regional returns, on top of the existing regional disparities of being in school, I think that the plan will hit the rocks. The idea was already flawed in my opinion and that any grading should be done fully by teachers' assessment.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 09:37

Primary here. My view will be offering the jab in February half term for staff- continue until Easter with Critical and vulnerable, enough time for build up of immunity (possible 2nd jabs if they go for 6 weeks gap?). After Easter everyone back, bubbles in operation/staggered starts and finishing (as we were before). Review and back to normality after May half term if things going well.
Possible view if learning is low, to repeat the year, and add a year onto the end- they already have "in education" to 18. That way they can restart proper exams next summer (2022). They could adjust the college/university to reduce the time by "half a year" for a couple of years and condense the courses to allow for catch up. Back to some form of normality in about 3 years time. May be controversial I know but gives the education time to settle back in with impact spread out. Would be good for primary as they will have had some learning of the "years" plan and they will be able to concentrate on those that struggle with home learning. Note- it is only a suggestion -Fever.png- -Fever.png-
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 09:42

Doesn't look as if schools are going back fully before Easter at the earliest, and if they do there is no guarantee they won't close again. The government has quietly extended the lockdown measures period until July so maybe schools won't go back properly until September.

What worries me in particular is that they are talking about an annual jab due to new mutations etc. Does this means lockdowns are going be an annual thing now while the vaccinations are rolled out?
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 12:09

Unfortunately the way COVIDIOTS are still going to unofficial raves and parties of up to 400 or more people i cannot see any we are ever going to reduce the covid infections and death, it is a war which we are not winning as our enemy is from within our own ranks. Schools are a rife place for infections at the best of times with fleas, scabies and the like so with covid 19 they have no chance. -Scared.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 12:48

What do I think? First off we have a government who don't really know what to do. Not that they are unique there. We should have closed borders last march but what I find incomprehensible is that 10 months on MP''s are today discussing whether to quarantine new arrivals. I despair. We stumble from lockdown to lockdown. Kids are safe in schools they claim. Clearly not. Too many people behave like they are immune or worse that this is some kind of hoax. The planning and implementation of track and trace and testing is wanting. Meanwhile the virus mutates and if we aren't careful could keep one step ahead. All this is not only costing lives but will bleed the economy for decades to come. As far as schools go I don't see 'normal' happening this year.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 15:41

greenjack wrote: Mon, 25th Jan 2021, 12:48pm What do I think? First off we have a government who don't really know what to do. Not that they are unique there. We should have closed borders last march but what I find incomprehensible is that 10 months on MP''s are today discussing whether to quarantine new arrivals. I despair. We stumble from lockdown to lockdown. Kids are safe in schools they claim. Clearly not. Too many people behave like they are immune or worse that this is some kind of hoax. The planning and implementation of track and trace and testing is wanting. Meanwhile the virus mutates and if we aren't careful could keep one step ahead. All this is not only costing lives but will bleed the economy for decades to come. As far as schools go I don't see 'normal' happening this year.
well said Greenjack.

I think we shouldn't be back this year but we will probably be back in some form after Easter.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 16:35

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Although it is difficult, we need to not focus on the media sensationalising individual situations- so 400 meet up for a rave, more likely 150- 200 ish. In a population of just shy of 60 million, 400 is an insignificant percentage- and people are hooked on the number 400 as it sounds big. Our local facebook noticeboard is full of people complaining about everyone going out for a walk along the seafront- a clue to out issue is it is a coastal town, thus 180 degrees is inaccessible (they complained when kite surfers were out at sea using this unpopulated area). With a population of up to 30,000 and many wanting to get out during daylight- the popular places are going to be full, added that it is slippery on the field paths. Yes we are going to pay for this for years to come, but so is every country.
Do I blame the government- yes and no. There are things they have done that seem unreasonable, yet if they had a curfew and locked up everyone who was out who shouldn't be then would that be unreasonable? Today they said they are closing much of the arrivals into the county- then a reporter said 10,000 a day arrive for various reasons into Heathrow at the moment- would it be unreasonable to fly into the country for a funeral? arrive back from an approved trip and find you are locked in a hotel for 10 days? What about hauliers, flight crews???
In light of another post today- drinking out of a water butt might kill you- anyone for a cuppa -Fever.png- -Scared.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 25 17:31

twiglets wrote: Mon, 25th Jan 2021, 4:35pm
Do I blame the government- yes and no. There are things they have done that seem unreasonable, yet if they had a curfew and locked up everyone who was out who shouldn't be then would that be unreasonable? No if it controls the infection rate and prevents deathsToday they said they are closing much of the arrivals into the county- then a reporter said 10,000 a day arrive for various reasons into Heathrow at the moment- would it be unreasonable to fly into the country for a funeral? Yes arrive back from an approved trip and find you are locked in a hotel for 10 days? That is the price you will paying in order to prevent the virus from transferring from one country to another What about hauliers, flight crews??? Hauliers can bring loads to and from the border it can be done the other side too so no need for them to cross the border. Flight crews can be quarantined on their layovers so it is not needed when they return there will be far less flights anyway..
In light of another post today- drinking out of a water butt might kill you- anyone for a cuppa -Fever.png- -Scared.png-
The point is this government has been doing the exact same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. look to other countries who have a far better handle on the Virus and have suffered orders of magnitude fewer deaths than we have. I'm thinking Australia, New Zealand etc.
The longer you prolong the experience the more damage you do to the economy and people. Exactly the opposite of what this government is telling us they are trying to prevent..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 26 08:59

Vera wrote: Mon, 25th Jan 2021, 5:31pm The point is this government has been doing the exact same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. look to other countries who have a far better handle on the Virus and have suffered orders of magnitude fewer deaths than we have. I'm thinking Australia, New Zealand etc.
The longer you prolong the experience the more damage you do to the economy and people. Exactly the opposite of what this government is telling us they are trying to prevent..
Well said Vera.
redfern63
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 26 09:29

I can't wait to get back to normal to be honest but i really do think that the way to get schools back to full is to Vaccinate all school staff.
As much as our government seem to have trouble learning the lessons of the past year it doesn't seem to matter what they do they as they can't do right for wrong. It wasn't long ago when the general public saying it was madness to have schools back , now when the reality of home schooling is impacting the daily lives of parents they want the schools to reopen.
We all have different lives and until we walk in their shoes we don't understand their circumastances but this is time when we should pull together and think of others and not shout when it means a little more work for ourselves.
I do feel a little safer now there is testing in schools but I personally think lets leave it until the end of term , see the numbers drop more. if we go back too early are we going to have the shambles of over 1000's of dash each day because of the bad designs made over --- (The word only permitted in December) ---.