Trespass on site

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

rigsby
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 03 06:39

Trespass on site

Hi guys, I haven't put a post on here for some time but I need some advice. I live on site and I keep getting members of the general public walking through the school grounds. Its a private school with a student entrance which isn't locked at weekends however we do have private property signs as you walk in.
How do I stand legally with regards to asking people to leave the site and are any laws being broken with them being on site,any advise would be appreciated.
Schoolbutler
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 03 09:47

Re: Trespass on site

I am not too sure legal implications but whenever I visit my site and there is anyone on grounds I always ask them to leave ,but my site is locked
SB
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 03 10:20

If it is private property you are within your rights to ask people to leave. Additionally, there is signage to indicate that there is no right of way. I am assuming that this path has not been around long for it to become a ROW by reason of custom & practice. Trespass is, I believe, a civil rather than a criminal offence. It becomes a criminal offence if damage is committed while the trespassers are on site. If it is just a question of people walking through, it may cause more grief than you need to challenge people.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 03 10:20

I am now retired but there is a law regarding trespassing on school property but i cannot remember the actual act but some one on here will. -Thumb_up-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 03 11:28

I would lock the student gates if possible if that is a way to stop them. There is a rule somewhere that if people have access for 12 years then the path through becomes a public path that you then cannot lock again, we lock a similar path after 9 years of bother after being told about that rule.
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
halffull
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 03 12:00

Drone is right it is civil rather than criminal law. In theory they are not trespassing, just visiting, they become trespassers when they do something untoward ie damage, start going into buildings that the public wouldn't expect to go in or use your tennis courts. Legally you have a responsibility for their health and safety when they are on site up to a point where they become trespassers (and even then it's a bit icky!). My advice would be put up a sign saying school is closed as are all the facilities and just keep an eye on it.

Difficult one

Good luck -Success.png-
adonis2
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 03 17:37

If you google trespass section 547, one of the first searches gives you a PDF on it.

you can also get signs,
https://www.safetysignsandnotices.co.uk ... sign-sch32
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
May 2021 03 21:25

Here you go...
school security advice.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 04 08:53

Trespass is a civil matter, it can occur on any non public land, or outside those hours when the public would have access. A school is always private land unless there is a footpath or other easement in effect. You can ask someone to leave and if they refuse, use what force is necessary to remove them. I would not recommend this latter course of action but rather wait it out and let the Police remove them for you.

For a school there are specific criminal offences, which do not include walking through the school when it is shut, but would include causing a nuisance, things that would cause alarm harrasment or distress, carrying a knife ( of any sort ) or a sharply pointed article.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 04 12:36

thecaretaker wrote: Mon, 3rd May 2021, 9:25pm Here you go...

school security advice.pdf
That's the one CT it covers the lot, i used to know all this but now retired it is buried in another period of time. -Big grin.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
ash70
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 04 14:07

we used to get loads of problems with kids even though it was locked. one day the police came up took them all out the front of the school and pointed out they had passed a sign saying tresspassers would be prosecuted. although they told me after they left not by them. unless you use the section 547 thingy then it becomes criminal. my advice get gates and lock them. how do you keep jo public out during school time
my life is like a game of tetris i never get the block i want
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
May 2021 05 10:18

We have a sign on our gate stating the it is private property and it is illegal to be on site out of school hours or when the gate is locked. I had a few problems when I took over I did not take any prisoner's and they left with a big flea in the ear -Success.png-