Armitage Vanesta toilet door locks

Work issues, H&S, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

SneakyPete69
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2018 15 17:39

Armitage Vanesta toilet door locks

Our aging KS2 Armitage Vanesta toilets are suffering from door lock fatigue.

They are the sliding plastic 'bolt' type encased in an oval lozenge shaped clip-on plastic cover. Replacements are a staggering £22 each (+ vat!) - and the new ones are of the same pathetically flimsy design.

If I remove these and attempt to fit a viable replacement I will have to fill a large oval hole in each door where these locks are fitted.

Anyone on here had similar issues? Any quick (or slow) fixes?

SneakyPete

ric70
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2018 15 18:05

Re: Armitage Vanesta toilet door locks

They also charge £12.50 postage !!!!

I end up ordering half a dozen at a time

Your right not the best designed lock

browncoat
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2018 16 08:42

Try Ironmongery Direct

hawkwind
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2018 16 10:32

They are useless locks, I contacted Armitage to see if there was something more substantial and preferably that would bolt through the door as the screw holes are no good anymore.
Their suggestion was to buy a new door at the same time as the replacement locks [Angry.png]
They can't fire me. Slaves have to be sold.

DAE avatar
davethegreat
Forum Member
Forum Member
Dec 2018 17 10:48

I have had the exact same problem with Vannesta locks. We had new toilets fitted (£60,000) and within weeks the locks were bending then snapping. the locks were supposed to be aluminium. They technically were, in the same way that chicken bones mixed with husk is technically a Chicken burger. I contacted Vannesta and after a a long drawn out game of email tennis i was told that it was down to misuse and that i would have to pay for new ones at £48 each. At this point i reminded them that we are a primary school and the tiny children that use them probably didn't have the strength required to break a lock that was designed for public use . They still stuck to their guns! I eventually had to give up as they would not entertain the idea that their product was not fit for purpose. 1 year later and the hinges on the stall doors started to beak and snap. I opened up dialogue with them again and surprise surprise it was down to misuse. I have never known any company dig their heels in so hard. I used to be a joiner so i have dealt with a lot of building supply companies. "Shame on you Vannesta" was my last correspondence. I searched for a long time to find a lock that was suitable and got very lucky with an aluminium sliding bolt from a company called Top gun. £18 each after some haggling. There are also plates that can go over any existing holes and fit your new locks to the new plates. they look like they belong to the door and not just been slapped on for ease. Hope this helps and sorry for the rant. Still very annoyed over these locks.

chrismccol
Forum Member
Forum Member
Dec 2018 17 14:32

Vannesta [---- The word only permitted in December ---_laugh.gif] [---- The word only permitted in December ---_laugh.gif] [---- The word only permitted in December ---_laugh.gif] don't get me started on them bunch of crooks.

one of the doors fell off in our infants school when one of the kids decided to try and climb over it. The door was ok but the slim panel that the door hangs on (approx 0.85x1.2m) split in half and broke 2 of the panel brackets. Now get this... £36 for the new panel and a pack of 3 panel brackets. £78 delivery or come and collect it(2.5 hr drive each way). So i sent them a quote for a full size pallet with a 1 ton weight limit, door to door next day delivery, £55. I even played the Primary school poverty card and the best they could do was to reduce the delivery by %10. Spoke to the manager and all sorts, but no change. They phoned me a couple of weeks later and asked if i still wanted the items. Told them I fixed it myself, it doesn't look great but it works. And will serve as a reminder to me not to buy anything from them again.
I'm a caretaker. I solve problems you don't know you have in many ways you can't understand. [JawDropped.png]

beagle
Forum Member
Forum Member
Dec 2018 17 15:25

Its a bit Heath Robinson but can you fit something like this? https://www.screwfix.com/p/jedo-bathroo ... nium/58318

Cover the hole with something like this? https://www.screwfix.com/p/female-wc-si ... 76mm/53305
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain".

hawkwind
Forum Member
Forum Member
Dec 2018 18 10:28

Have you got a link for those locks from top gun please dave.
We are hoping for another toilet refurb in the next few years and Armitage will definitely never be used again as long as I am here.
There equipment is no use for a domestic environment Nevermind commercial.
The plastic is really thin and brittle.
They can't fire me. Slaves have to be sold.