Work base

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

rigsby
Assistant Caretaker
Assistant Caretaker
Jan 2019 11 20:33

Work base

Hi folks
Can I ask you in your opinion What is an ecceptable work base for a team of caretakers to work from, for example an office with a phone,computer,running hot and cold water,a toilet and somewhere to eat your lunch I'm just curious what other caretakers have in other schools.

eggy
Caretaker
Caretaker
Jan 2019 11 21:44

Re: Work base

I used to just have a store that I went to to get things/tools to do jobs . Enough toilets through out school to use . Staff room to eat and drink . I have now a large office that can accommodate 5 staff at their own computers . This is still within the same school just that we have got bigger .
Worked at a college where our base was even bigger.
Take my drum to England, hang it by the shore,And strike it when your powder's running low;If the Dons sight Devon, I'll quit the port of heaven,& drum them up the channel as we drummed them long ago

Keyolder
Assistant Site Manager
Assistant Site Manager
Jan 2019 11 22:07

One-man school here, office with computer phone desk plus storage cupboards for files tools stock etc, sadly no workshop but some Caretakers haven’t even got an office. I use the staff room for hot and cold drinks microwave etc plus staff toilets.
Smile, and the world will smile with you. Laugh and they'll all think you’re a looney [Crazy.png]

OXSET
Caretaker
Caretaker
Jan 2019 12 09:46

I had a large store with all my chemicals, tools and fixings in with a shed for sheet materials and a couple small stores elsewhere on one site

and one small cupboard for all of it in one other school.

Now i have all of that but my own seperate office with one of the school office managers as i have a ct on each site. i use staff facilities as i am a member of staff and nothing less!

EBJ
Site Manager
Site Manager
Jan 2019 12 11:22

I had a 4ft x 6ft cupboard with a belfast sink at one end and shelving to one side, i presume when the school was built it was a claeners storage cupboard and the caretakers room did not exist. [Crazy.png]
"SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI"

Skoolkeeper
Assistant Site Manager
Assistant Site Manager
Jan 2019 12 11:52

Same as above post, but I am only a one man band, [Wink.png]

samsmith
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker
Jan 2019 12 16:13

We have our own area in the basement of J Block, comprising of my office, domestic services offices and stores. I have also got a workshop in the basement under D block and cleaning storage rooms in B and D block. We also have a fleet of 4 cleaning trollies called tinky wonky, dipstick and po!

Additionally, we have a works van and a converted milk float to get around the grounds. My milk float is handy as I can use it for summer fetes etc, as I can carry several tables laid flat and I have used it to transport the school chickens and coops, when building work started on B block!
Sam Smith
Devoted, caring and highly respected Site Manager, Husband, Dad and Foster Carer

"Whenever there a hall that needs a moppin', I'll be there... Whenever there's a urinal mint that needs replacin', I'll be there... Whenever a kid breaks a window or barfed on the floor, I'll be there... All you gotta do is bleep me... You know how to beep me don't you? Just press the phone buttons and hit #" - Hank from Disney's Recess

Check out my blog! - http://caretakersam.blog

scrubadub
Head Caretaker
Head Caretaker
Jan 2019 14 06:56

No office space here per say. Main office let me store files on a bottom shelf, for the computer I grab one when I can, eat in staff room and use staff toilets that are dotted around site. Do have a clean cupboard but that's full of equipment and supplies

lesbedford
Assistant Site Manager
Assistant Site Manager
Jan 2019 14 07:37

I have my own office under the stairs, it has computer/ phone/ fridge & kettle and also stores are kept in it too, a cupboard for all chemicals to be stored & locked away safely and all cleaning areas have there own cleaning cupboards, & the garage doubles as store for old furniture & archiving they want to keep & my work shop
MAN. UNITED RULE OK.

beagle
Caretaker
Caretaker
Jan 2019 14 08:36

10x8 office 1 large store for materials and cleaning products. 1 smaller store for cleaning machines. 1 large container for everything else.
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain".