Why do we bother - another "teachers" just ignore H&S when i suits thread!

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Rawesie
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 14 06:20

Why do we bother - another "teachers" just ignore H&S when i suits thread!

//START VENT//
So with it being SATs week, Y6 have been invited into school early so they can have a chill and breakfast (toast, crumpets, etc)
Last week i was asked for an extension lead so they could put the toasters from the staff room on top of a book case (the faint noise of warning bells in the distance begins)

When i got in yesterday morning there was two post-its on top of the book case, "toaster 1" and "toaster 2" (them bells are getting louder)

I employed the super power that only seems to affect us "uneducated oiks" - common sense, and noticed that this would mean the toasters would not only be within reach of a sink but in fact the extension lead would have to be run across the sink. (Give it a rest Quasimodo!)

Being the conscientious and switched on cookie that i am (occasionally) i sorted another area for the toasters, about 2m from the original location, and, as i would be elsewhere on site when the y6 staff arrived to setup, left a note advising them to put them in the alternative location instead.

Came in last night and not only did they ignore the advice, they left a sarky note on a white board on the sink - no wonder we have so many behavioral issues in y6 if the staff cant even follow simple guidance, and then gob off about not following it.......... grrrrrrrr........is that kettle on!
//END VENT.....for now//
Rawesie

Sparky God, Ex fire alarm engineer and Royal Engineer veteran

"There's no such thing as problems - just opportunities for solutions...
...unless a teacher is involved, then you're gonna have problems"

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 14 07:18

Re: Why do we bother - another "teachers" just ignore H&S when i suits thread!

What was the "sarky note on a white board" they left for you?

All you can do is warn them m8. If they kill themselves, then you can stand up in court and say "I told them and they chose to ignore it". Grab that note for evidence though, you don't wanna be had up for manslaughter lol [Big grin.png]
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Stiggy
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 14 07:49

Last night I went to do my little bit of cleaning (staff toilets) and couldn't find my spray bottle of washroom cleaner (a green liquid) in the wet cupboard, ok I thought, maybe I put it in the dry cupboard on Friday when I locked up but nope not in there either, so at this point I'm starting to worry that I left it out and some child has got hold of it (I should say that all my spray bottles have either a blue trigger or a red trigger, I only buy in 5l bottles and dilute myself) i spent half an hour looking but couldn't find the red spray bottle with my cleaner in it, eventually I noticed that another red bottle in my cupboard was full of a clear liquid that I didn't put there, after more searching I found the green liquid in an unmarked squares garden centre bottle left out for the children to harm themselves with.

What concerns me is that the liquids were swapped over and left out

Jubbs
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 14 07:55

It happens quite often but normally its TiC or joking, but when its to do with H&S I draw the line and go straight to the HT, as this is my job and my integrity to ensure a safe environment for the kids and staff/visitors.

Yes you may well have covered yourself but have you done everything reasonable to stop stupid acts of ignorance from causing danger to life. We're talking electrocution and fire here not a tripping hazard and the authorities may not take it that the school has followed up on any recommendations to ensure H&S standards are upheld.

Take it higher, to the top and insist that staff understand why you moved the cable and equipment and whoever was responsible for the reply to apologise for disobeying H&S regs and leaving a message that contravenes the "Staff Code of Conduct Policy". I've had enough of staff like this, play hard ball with them as your conscience wont stand the test of time if a fatality should occur on your watch.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower

seanallen
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 14 08:26

I find suggesting they don't do something is a waste of time, better to say (emails best) that the law of H&S guidance say's you shouldn't do this , but if you do flout the regulations the responsibility is yours and you would be held to account come the inquest!
Due to the present financial situation, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily switched off.

Skoolkeeper
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 14 08:35

I hope your extension lead and toasters are P.A.T tested, also be careful re the wattage as an average toaster is 800 to 1400 watt, so perhaps two extensions would have been better than one, you never know what could happen when you have C.Os/T.As in charge! but they know who to blame!, be careful my friend and email your H.T your concerns. [Neutral.png]

UnderPaid
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 14 08:37

I don't trust teachers with extension leads anymore after a ---- The word only permitted in December --- fayre when i was asked for one for a water boiler to make teas and coffee for parents. i unreeled it all and plugged it in telling them to leave it as it was so it doesn't over heat.
An hour later got a phone call saying the power has tripped and can i have a look as there is a queue of parents waiting for a drink.
Got there to find the extension had been reeled up and melted all the plastic together!
[Scared.png]
My extension leads all have thermal trip switches on them now but i still won't lend them out, there is one in staff room store they can use and that's it.
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people.... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort it self out.

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 14 08:50

UnderPaid wrote:
Tue, Jth May 2019, 8:37am
I don't trust teachers with extension leads anymore after a ---- The word only permitted in December --- fayre when i was asked for one for a water boiler to make teas and coffee for parents.
I've had the Burco boiler thing when I worked on the local council (we did outside catering events). I came across 2 x large 3500w Burco boilers plugged in to a single (not even 13amp) extension lead on a double adapter. The plugs were red hot and melting. I'm not a genius, but even I know you don't put such a load on a mains socket.

When I was a kid, I had a 3500w electric fan heater and that alone used to make the plug hot. I don't think you can buy domestic equipment that powerful any more (thankfully). So plugging 2 3500w items on a single socket is a disaster waiting to happen [Scared.png]
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional

Drone
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 14 09:53

If they are responding with sarcasm, just raise the issue of concern with the H&S Coordinator & let him/her sort the matter out. You have done your bit.

Gigantor
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 14 10:11

the best one i encountered when volunteering in the community was -

plugged into one extension was -
a water boiler
a 300w speaker
a second extension - and plugged into that was -
a second 300w speaker
and a very powerful sound desk

i shook my head went and spoke the the event coordinator who then sorted it out properly (he used to work as an electrical engineer)