I'm a parking warden now

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Drillbit
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 08:34

I'm a parking warden now

Guys and Gals,

I put cones out on the road everyday to keep the kids safe which is fine, and I stand on the gate for some reason when they come in. I'm no security guard, but I get to say hello to the kids which is nice. Now I have been asked to ensure that staff do not double park and to not allow people in the car park if it is full.
Out of interest, how many of you monitor the staff car park to ensure no one double parks? I have already had a member of staff complain to my line manager that I was rude because I told her she cannot park despite the fact that she has very important things to do.

There is no parking policy in place, they must be just making it up as they go along.

Is this as ridiculous as I think it sounds?

Gazza
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 08:44

Re: I'm a parking warden now

luckily we don't have a car park so no such issues, we have the usual issues with parents parking on the zig zags (private school with rich arrogant parents driving Ferraris, Mercedes and jaguars who pull up right outside the doors kick their kids out before driving off to London)unfortunately we have no way of enforcing the public highway and have basically been told as much by the council. all we can do is ask politely for people to move and put signs out asking for people to be courteous.

In terms of whether its right or not Its tough. whilst it might not be specifically in you jd to be a traffic warden, I suppose you are responsible for the kids safety on your grounds. It a grey area I'm afraid
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff [Success.png]

Skoolkeeper
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 08:48

yes, in my j.d it states I have to monitor the staff car park re h&s, I have put plenty of signs around re keep clear, gates in use, fire exits, deliveries ect, sent emails to h.t how and where to inform staff on parking issues and push bikes and apart from the odd visitor!!! who can not read, the car park it self looks after its self, I do have a purge now and again! and just keep stating the h&s. as for external/outside the school, its nothing to do with me, that's the h.t job. [Neutral.png]

roryeggontoast
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 08:49

I do car park duty every morning and evening mainly to keep taxis out who think it is ok to drop off as near school as possible. I enjoy greating all the kids and parents. Sometimes get a bit of abuse but it just goes over my head as i am only doing my job.
Eee by gum !!!!!!!

Jomell
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 09:01

Probably one of the worst aspects of the job!

I open the gates at 15:00 and for the next 30 minutes I'm supposed to monitor the traffic/carpark. I've never h ad any issues with the staff, but have with many of the parents.

I try to keep out of the way as much as I can, I have no power and the parents know that! Who am I to challenge Blue Badge holders...

Play the game, be seen and then disappear for a bit, saves writing statements when you get a complaint. Everyone's a winner [Big grin.png]

bigbird
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 09:23

Ha Ha, my staff have this all the time, we are open 7 days a week. The public double park, park on the footpaths and then they complain about each others parking! If a teacher can't get out of the car park by 5pm it's double parking and a free for all.

But don't worry, I've sorted it all out! I've told my staff if anyone complains about parking, they are to say "don't worry, I find the owner of the car". After that, they go and get lost for 10-15 minutes or so...
[Success.png]
You're only as Good as Your Last Job!

Taz
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 09:42

We have a parent who got into an altercation with another over parking on the path (blocking it completely for buggies/wheelchairs etc). Abuse started, then the husband was called, and then the other bloke disappeared. Carried onto the following day, seemingly sorted when both were stood in the heads office shouting at each other, whilst the HT and DHT were in attendance. It took me to go in, raise my voice and tell them to stop it all as they're setting no example for THEIR kids, and politely reminded them that they were in a school.

Last week the same instigator decided to come in and mention to the office that there was someone blocking a path, and that "someone needs to come out and look at it". Who was asked? Yeah....

When I was later asked if the car was there I replied "don't know as I didn't go down to play along with his games. If he wants to play parking warden let him carry on, I'm not getting into an argument that he's caused (again). Besides we have no power to do anything beyond those gates. If he has an issue he needs to take it up with the police, council, or give him the email address of the company that come and give tickets."

Have heard nothing since. I also stand at the gate at the end of the day, mainly as the children requested a presence at the end of the day as they feel safer. I like it. Parents do seem to think that you are there to patrol the road though. Fools.

Drillbit
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 10:53

I am going to ask the HT for a parking policy. At least there will be clear rules in place. Right now the teachers think I'm choosing who is allowed to park. [Gobsmacked.png]

bigbird
Forum Member
Forum Member
May 2019 16 11:26

Drillbit wrote:
Thu, Jth May 2019, 10:53am
I am going to ask the HT for a parking policy. At least there will be clear rules in place. Right now the teachers think I'm choosing who is allowed to park. [Gobsmacked.png]
Don't do that, you will be writing it and running the policy and getting all the blame! [Cry.png]
You're only as Good as Your Last Job!

thecaretaker
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
May 2019 16 13:04

Near my home there are 3 schools. One has 2,500 kids, another 600 and a 100 or so at a special school. That's almost 3,500 kids with parents dropping off and picking up twice a day. It is hell on the roads.

The main road gets blocked and all the residential roads around have parents parking on the pavements. The council painted double yellows everywhere but nobody takes any notice. They seem to think if they park on the pavement that double yellows don't apply to them.

When they first painted the double yellows, they sent parking wardens around. That lasted about a week. Even the parking wardens keep clear now.

What gets me is that parents start to park from 2pm onwards to be first to get the nearest to the schools. Schools turn out just after 3pm. That is an hour or more a day parents sit in their cars waiting for kids to churn out. That's 6-7 hours a week life wasted.

All the kids at school (apart from a few special needs that are taxied in) are within a very small catchment area. All are well within walking distance from home. Many of the 3 litre Chelsea tractors haven't even warmed up, yet they sit ticking over with the choke on, keeping warm in winter. I hate the fact that I can't even drive out of my own road and their angry selfish attitude is something else.

What I was trying to say, if the authorities have give up trying to manage parent parking, you sure arn't going to have a chance on your own m8. And what happens outside the school gates is not your responsibiliy. Don't get involved m8
Growing Old is Mandatory - Growing Up Is Optional