Disinfecting a room using fogging or mist

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2020 09 10:10

Disinfecting a room using fogging or mist

Disinfecting a room using fogging or mist is new to me. It wasn't around in my day. Trying to learn more about them and the many different types of foggers, I came across a few interesting facts.

I didn't know there were so many types of machine.
  • Chemical fogging
  • Vaporized hydrogen peroxide
  • Ozone
  • Chlorine dioxide
  • Ionization
With regards to COVID, I read "Currently, fogging does not meet the guidelines for COVID-19 prevention protocol. For the treatment of this specific virus, fogging should be considered an extra precaution, rather than the sole solution".

The HSE has provided guidance and states "Users must be competent and properly trained". (See the link below regarding the training you need)

It seems each type of fogger covers different sized areas, so you need to buy the correct size machine for the size of rooms you want to disinfect.

I would be interested to hear about what type of fogging you use, in what size spaces and what the limitations or problems you have encountered.

They are starting to suggest that some are useful in the home and I would like to look into that. Mainly as my son works from home as an NHS IT technician and spends all day going back and forth visiting hospital offices and wards. I wouldn't want him to bring COVID home with him. In addition to useing bleach on door handles and tops, if a fogger was cheap enough, it might be worth doing once a week to keep my family safe.

Here is the guidance from the HSE for those using them at work https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/disi ... tbreak.htm

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 09 11:23

Re: Disinfecting a room using fogging or mist

thecaretaker wrote: Mon, 9th Nov 2020, 10:10am

The HSE has provided guidance and states "Users must be competent and properly trained". (See the link below regarding the training you need)
One of the Hse definitions of a competent person is someone who can,

"read, understand and follow operators instruction manual"

so as long as you can read no training is needed.
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 09 11:48

So my personal views on these pieces of equipment are that they are simply another band wagon to make money from..... i have had loads of ads sent to me from companies trying to sell these peices of kit and i am soooo skeptical.... i fail to see how it is any different from a spray bottle set to fine mist filled with a virusidal chemical
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff -Success.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 09 11:59

Gazza wrote: Mon, 9th Nov 2020, 11:48am So my personal views on these pieces of equipment are that they are simply another band wagon to make money from..... i have had loads of ads sent to me from companies trying to sell these peices of kit and i am soooo skeptical.... i fail to see how it is any different from a spray bottle set to fine mist filled with a virusidal chemical
Or a pump up garden sprayer and a desk fan...

Our cleaners do use them but always as an extra to normal cleaning methods.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 09 12:03

Vera wrote: Mon, 9th Nov 2020, 11:59am Or a pump up garden sprayer and a desk fan...

Our cleaners do use them but always as an extra to normal cleaning methods.
well quite, i see that working too
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff -Success.png-
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 09 14:31

I have purchased a small atomizer from one of our suppliers. I also bought 10 litres of the Xprotect sanitiser they recommend. My main use is as an addition to normal cleaning and not normal use. It is good as it is a constant spray mist that gets a bit more than just a simple spray as it takes no effort. Will "spread" 800ml in about 5 minutes- or enough for a washroom plus a bit more- it is also quick this way.
If we have a bigger issue then we may call in professionals- we're seek advise first though.
£40 for the machine and £40 for 10 litres not a big outlay as as a precaution.
HandyAndy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 09 16:58

Can anyone recommend a chemical that I can use in a pressure sprayer that can be used on outdoor play equipment and doesn't need wiping off? Been looking online and cant really find what I am looking for but would make cleaning outside equipment much quicker!
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 09 17:22

if somebody mentions they think you should start fogging in school.... RUN
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nov 2020 09 17:52

What is the situation with electrical equipment like computer equipment, TV's etc Does this have to removed from the room before fogging?
Is the chemical used for fogging harmful for electrical equipment?
Does it make metal rust faster?

fa-quote-left Vérité Sans Peur fa-quote-right
(Truth Without Fear)
w4man
Nov 2020 09 20:35

Can i use a 5% bleach solution on outdoor play equipment without wiping down, to disinfect??
5% is what i understand is used in hospitals theatres.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 10 07:28

Bigbear69 wrote: Mon, 9th Nov 2020, 5:22pm if somebody mentions they think you should start fogging in school.... RUN
Clover ultraviolet.

Its what goes in the fogging machine when the cleaners have done a deep clean.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 10 07:31

thecaretaker wrote: Mon, 9th Nov 2020, 5:52pm What is the situation with electrical equipment like computer equipment, TV's etc Does this have to removed from the room before fogging?
Is the chemical used for fogging harmful for electrical equipment?
Does it make metal rust faster?
You just don't direct the fogging directly at the items. (Hand held unit)

We tend to use it after a deep clean particularly in places like storerooms and the pre school where there are lots of items that it would be too time consuming to move and clean conventionally.
Sharky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 10 09:35

I think that as usual, everyone will have their own take and interpretation on the use of these machines.
I personally had received no hard sell or advertisement of these but went looking for a quicker method of being able to sterilise areas. It is not designed to clean anything. The use of the word deep clean is only meant in context as to sterilise. everything still needs to be cleaned by hand first, then a fogging machine is used to blanket cover everything to kill the bacteria. The finer the fog/mist and the longer it can be left to stay airborne the more bacterial particles it can kill.
Its my opinion that hand held versions are a waste of time. if you can stay in a room while doing this the its not effective. (unless you are wearing full breathing apparatus and ppe. Unless i open all doors and windows i cannot enter the room within 40 mins without being very effected by the chemicals.
The model I have purchased has a 5 litre reservoir and the particle size is totally adjustable. It is more than adequate to fog an average class room in little over a minute. Just make sure you turn off or isolate the fire systems.. lesson learnt.. haha. do not just aim at the floor its designed to fog the air and fall to the ground covering everything.
This is the unit i purchased
https://www.kingfisherdirect.co.uk/chem ... ne-5-litre
and i purchased this disinfectant:
https://www.kingfisherdirect.co.uk/chem ... -jerry-can
"Can you just?....."
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 10 10:17

w4man wrote: Mon, 9th Nov 2020, 8:35pm Can i use a 5% bleach solution on outdoor play equipment without wiping down, to disinfect??
5% is what i understand is used in hospitals theatres.
If you are going down that route then use Milton and dilute as directed.
Even then the items should be either rinsed with water or allowed to air dry before children touch or play with them.
seedfut
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2020 17 10:37

we have one. its noisy, heavy, difficult to use and i think pointless. But it makes bm and ht happy. It uses bleach at a dose rate of .75mg/l solution. I started allt his back in may with peroxide in a sprayer watered down to 5% ish but it played havoc with nasal membranes-mine and my cleaners. The bleach isnt too bad, difficult to get a correct droplet size and as long as it smells "clean" we seem to get away with it. We do all surfaces, chairs toilets and hard toys.