Urinal

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Bigmac24
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 08 16:50

Urinal

Evening.

Any suggestions on what to use to unblock urinals, no rod access point. Need some form of acid to break down. have seen some on google but not sure on what to get mixed review.

Thanks
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 08 17:14

Re: Urinal

Be very careful as the urine contains ammonia and might not play well with other chemicals.

I'd be tempted to call in the pro's for that job and get them to fit a rodding point whilst they are there..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 08 19:35

Vera wrote: Fri, 8th Jan 2021, 5:14pm Be very careful as the urine contains ammonia and might not play well with other chemicals.

I'd be tempted to call in the pro's for that job and get them to fit a rodding point whilst they are there..
I remember a plumber putting ‘One Shot’ down our urinal to try and clear it, good job it was a half term as the pungent fumes soon filled the toilet block and adjacent corridor. We left it a full day for the air to clear, it took all the chrome off the urinal strainer but did clear the blockage
-Scared.png-
Take care
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Rich1963
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 12:18

one sot use with care coz its sulphuric acid, gives off stink bomb smell as it works but it'll clear nearly anything......
Richard
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 13:03

I used one shot but did it last thing on a Friday night knowing no one would be in all over the week end, Monday morning in an hour earlier and aired off the last bit of smell and the urinal was unblocked. -Thumb_up-

fa-quote-left SIGILLUM MILITUM XPISTI fa-quote-right
Tel2203
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 13:18

We had a lot of trouble with urinals over the years.

Just had PHS in at --- (The word only permitted in December) --- and they installed Ecoshields which break down the acid in the wee and it takes the smell out too...

They also clean the waste pipes out and fit new traps as part of the contract. So far so good. -Thumb_up-
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 13:48

Rich1963 wrote: Tue, 12th Jan 2021, 12:18pm one sot use with care coz its sulphuric acid, gives off stink bomb smell as it works but it'll clear nearly anything......
Yes it did that almost immediately it was administered, really whiffy... -Big grin.png-
seedfut
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 12 14:00

This is one of my favourite jobs, as long as you can acess the pipework. I just unscrew from urinals, cut it off/ remove it from drain/stack, take in plastic bag to secluded spot and tap it gently with a hammer-this breaks it up without much dificulty, have found the problem is hair that binds it together and causes the blocking. Wear ppe and old clothing- definately glove job.Once the solid urea is moving just jet wash it out. It stinks so dont get on your skin. Buy a joiner and reinstall pipework. . Otherwise get someone in. One of the seven pillars of caretaking this one.
TheTusk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 13 07:21

"They" say that pouring a 2 litre bottle of Coke down a urinal and leaving it overnight unblocks urinals. Not tried it myself but apparently it works.
Give it a go and let us know.
seedfut
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 13 08:23

As an extra.
At a previous post was told to put acid down to break it up. it caused it to pressurise the system. Boss then opened rodding point a day or two later as it hadnt worked. He was directly over it. It was like a bottle of lemonade going off. Good job we had a good relationship he saw the funny side.
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 13 10:11

TheTusk wrote: Wed, 13th Jan 2021, 7:21am "They" say that pouring a 2 litre bottle of Coke down a urinal and leaving it overnight unblocks urinals. Not tried it myself but apparently it works.
Once saw a time lapse of a Tbone steak being dissolved in a bowl of coke, can't remember how long it took but remember being surprised it wasn't longer.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 13 11:24

TheTusk wrote: Wed, 13th Jan 2021, 7:21am "They" say that pouring a 2 litre bottle of Coke down a urinal and leaving it overnight unblocks urinals. Not tried it myself but apparently it works.
I remember seeing that somewhere, maybe on YouTube?