COVID testing on site

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Hedgehog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 10 22:10

COVID testing on site

Anyone getting a weekly COVID test at school? Is it compulsory for site staff?
welshhunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 11 06:59

Re: COVID testing on site

all staff, children and parents are being advised to have a weekly test but it is not compulsory here.
wake me up before you gogo.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 11 08:19

Nothing at all...
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 11 11:15

We start testing on Friday assuming all goes well -Scared.png-
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 14 16:07

It will never be compulsory but they will offer it to all staff on site that are in regularly.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 14 16:57

Seems that gov guidance says we will be receiving testing kits next week in primary schools, and online training next week, if you are lucky enough to get online at the time.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 15 06:57

twiglets wrote: Thu, 14th Jan 2021, 4:57pm Seems that gov guidance says we will be receiving testing kits next week in primary schools, and online training next week, if you are lucky enough to get online at the time.
The online training can be done any time. If they do primary schools the same as secondary, they'll put on some webinars where there's basically people talking you through each process but you would need to do your training after

The actual testing is simple.
- 6 drops of buffer solution in a tube. Subject swabs their tonsils 3 times, then up a nostril and spin it 5 times. Swab into the tube with liquid and swirled round and squeezed out. Cap on the tube, 2 drops on the flow test. Wait 20 - 30 minutes.

The most onerous part is remembering the order in which putting ppe and cleaning is done. Various people are in aprons, gloves, mask and visor. If you process a test, you switch gloves before starting the next test but everything else stays on unless contaminated. Sanitising at various points.
When removing your ppe, very prescribed as to how you remove your gloves, how you remove you apron. Mask doesn't come off until out of the testing area and into a separate bin outside (feels a bit stupid in a school setting where you're all then around each other again.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 15 08:04

Nail- so who does all this?? I read the original booklet when it came out and did realise we have to have additional staff, a place to do them, what about the copious amount of gloves- are they in the kit- one for every test that would equate to 30-40 pairs a day?? I'm all for it as I won't be doing anything other than emptying the bins- is this now clinical waste? is there a separate collection?
As it looks like you are set up, any chance of running through your set up so we can adapt to suit and I can request purchasing anything we might need- including a sense of humour -Thumb_up-
NEITTech
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 15 10:50

twiglets wrote: Fri, 15th Jan 2021, 8:04am Nail- so who does all this?? I read the original booklet when it came out and did realise we have to have additional staff, a place to do them, what about the copious amount of gloves- are they in the kit- one for every test that would equate to 30-40 pairs a day?? I'm all for it as I won't be doing anything other than emptying the bins- is this now clinical waste? is there a separate collection?
As it looks like you are set up, any chance of running through your set up so we can adapt to suit and I can request purchasing anything we might need- including a sense of humour -Thumb_up-
It isn't clinical waste, it's healthcare waste. An important distinction. And yes, all PPE is provided (lots of it). We didn't get the correct yellow and tiger bags until after we had started testing though.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 15 13:31

twiglets wrote: Fri, 15th Jan 2021, 8:04am Nail- so who does all this?? I read the original booklet when it came out and did realise we have to have additional staff, a place to do them, what about the copious amount of gloves- are they in the kit- one for every test that would equate to 30-40 pairs a day?? I'm all for it as I won't be doing anything other than emptying the bins- is this now clinical waste? is there a separate collection?
Whoever you want can do it. We have parent volunteers and plenty of staff who have volunteered as well. It's no more risky than being in the school anyway as it's testing for asymptomatic people only - any with symptoms are sent away as normal. In some respects, more safe as it's so heavy on ppe and sanitiser (you have to sanitise after you take your gloves off then you take your apron off and sanitise, take your visor off and sanitise)

As said, healthcare waste not clinical so in theory simpler but I'm not fully sorted on that yet.

I would wait to purchase other bits needed because plans may change and your set-up would be differetn to mine due to your rooms and how you feel about parts of the process.

It sounds a lot worse than it is though. Hopefully you have someone who is good at managing a set process, alomst like a factory!
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 15 14:54

Thanks, setting up seems straight forward. DHT wants us to look at a gazebo outside(side walls in a sheltered area)- would be cold but their choice- I have suggested an internal room with vinyl floor/ventilation/outdoor accessible etc.
Glad to see they supply PPE- it was this I was looking into.
With the waste- LEA should provide a systems of works as they will confirm who will collect any waste.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 15 15:04

Nail wrote: Fri, 15th Jan 2021, 1:31pm Whoever you want can do it. We have parent volunteers and plenty of staff who have volunteered as well. It's no more risky than being in the school anyway as it's testing for asymptomatic people only - any with symptoms are sent away as normal. In some respects, more safe as it's so heavy on ppe and sanitiser (you have to sanitise after you take your gloves off then you take your apron off and sanitise, take your visor off and sanitise)

As said, healthcare waste not clinical so in theory simpler but I'm not fully sorted on that yet.

I would wait to purchase other bits needed because plans may change and your set-up would be differetn to mine due to your rooms and how you feel about parts of the process.

It sounds a lot worse than it is though. Hopefully you have someone who is good at managing a set process, alomst like a factory!
Was talking to a teacher here last night about testing Kids.
She and her family have been testing for a clinical trial once a week since June last year and she was saying no way would she test other kids.
The process involves being in very close proximity to a child whilst you swab the back of the throat causing coughing and general unpleasantness.
She said she would be deeply concerned doing that to someone else's child because of the coughing in your face (PPE or not) and also in case of claims from parents about their child's treatment.
Latest I heard was that the tests would be given to parents to test at home (was from a colleague at work)
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 15 16:09

Vera wrote: Fri, 15th Jan 2021, 3:04pm Was talking to a teacher here last night about testing Kids.
She and her family have been testing for a clinical trial once a week since June last year and she was saying no way would she test other kids.
The process involves being in very close proximity to a child whilst you swab the back of the throat causing coughing and general unpleasantness.
She said she would be deeply concerned doing that to someone else's child because of the coughing in your face (PPE or not) and also in case of claims from parents about their child's treatment.
Latest I heard was that the tests would be given to parents to test at home (was from a colleague at work)
Primaries will definitely be a challenge. For secondary, they swab themselves.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 15 16:10

twiglets wrote: Fri, 15th Jan 2021, 2:54pm Thanks, setting up seems straight forward. DHT wants us to look at a gazebo outside(side walls in a sheltered area)- would be cold but their choice- I have suggested an internal room with vinyl floor/ventilation/outdoor accessible etc.
Glad to see they supply PPE- it was this I was looking into.
With the waste- LEA should provide a systems of works as they will confirm who will collect any waste.
I would suggest that a gazebo will not be suitable. Too cold (depending on the day) as it needs to be at least 15 degrees C.
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 15 16:28

Thought it might be an issue- hence my second option. I will await the SLT to deal with it next week. The room I suggested would be ideal, but they are concerned with PPA for the teachers in the long run when they all come back. I think they need to look at alternative for teachers so we have a dedicated space for all covid issues. Medical room for normal first aid. As a primary, we don't have spare room anywhere- no one planned for even enough storage.
Next weeks problems/opportunities .