Old worksheets & Site checklists

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

TheYap
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 26 07:47

Old worksheets & Site checklists

Hi All<

I started at my site last February and going through some old documents. I have site documents going back 5 years of old checklists (made by the old caretaker). This includes daily site walks, signing in sheets daily room checks. One of the daily checks are 6 pages long!!. How long would you normally keep documents like this? There is literally stacks

Thanks for you help
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 26 07:51

Re: Old worksheets & Site checklists

there was stuff in our school going back to when it was built 90% went in the bin when I started. for h2o I have the last 3 years most of the other stuff I keep for one year and the bin it, I've been in the job 11 years and never been asked for anything other than the current year up to date stuff
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 26 08:16

In the bin!

Maybe a quick check with your HT to see if there's anything they would want to know but I bet they aren't interested.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 26 08:34

The documentation may be required for any compensation claims which can be up to 10 years after the incident so it is worth keeping them for that long.

We recently had a large claim which we couldn't fight as the documentation was gone this was 9 1/2 years after the incident and a claim going well into the 10's of thousands of pounds
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 26 08:48

Don't bin!! (Sorry Nail) Just about to post this and saw that Vera has also provided a similar response.

This touches on a topic that we have discussed before. If there was a pupil accident, they have until the age of 21 (reaching the age of majority plus 3 years) to lodge an insurance claim. The checklists featuring site walks (where hazards may be seen and removed) are the sort of information that the school's insurers would want to defend any such claim.

I would consult your line manager to see if they want you to hang on to them or are they best kept with other records that have to be kept.

This link will gives you clear and excellent advice on how long to keep school documentation:

https://colegateprimary.org/wp-content/ ... ule-V4.pdf
Derek N
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 26 10:18

Hi

When I started my roll my office was the same full of stuff. I left it all for a while then it just got in my way I had the HT round looking and we came up with the plan to scan it all onto the computer in folders so we know where it all is the binned the paper copy’s. This way if there was a fire or a flood we would still have all the paper work saved on the servers we can be retrieve..
My HT face when she noticed how big my office actually is once it all was completed. Fort is of lost it but 4 years later still in the same room.
Gazza
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 26 10:40

now everything is stored electronically- forever... i have weekly job/task sheets. i record daily jobs on my phone using the MS Word/office for mobiles app, and every Friday i share that document with my school system and send the HT a copy for her files. its simple quick convenient and easy to do.... i open the app on my phone when i see something needs doing or that i must remember and i dont even type- i use the speak to type function to make a note... every week, jobs that i complete come off of my phone (working) version but a record is kept on the schools system
Opinions are like Derry-airs, everyone has one, but some stink and are full of the brown stuff -Success.png-
TheYap
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 28 07:46

Thank you all for your help. I was told that we only need to keep them for a year and then bin them. I think I will archive them for now.
Swatch
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 28 09:18

Dexter wrote: Tue, 26th Jan 2021, 8:48am Don't bin!! (Sorry Nail) Just about to post this and saw that Vera has also provided a similar response.

This touches on a topic that we have discussed before. If there was a pupil accident, they have until the age of 21 (reaching the age of majority plus 3 years) to lodge an insurance claim. The checklists featuring site walks (where hazards may be seen and removed) are the sort of information that the school's insurers would want to defend any such claim.

I would consult your line manager to see if they want you to hang on to them or are they best kept with other records that have to be kept.

This link will gives you clear and excellent advice on how long to keep school documentation:

https://colegateprimary.org/wp-content/ ... ule-V4.pdf
Just to add to what you said, page 45 section 7.2b states "A child may make a claim for negligence for 7 years from their 18th birthday.To ensure that all records are kept until the pupil reaches the age of 25 this retention period has been applied."

I'm not sure of the date of this publication but I'd always been under the same impression, 18+ 3y but it seems that is no longer correct!
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 28 09:28

Swatch wrote: Thu, 28th Jan 2021, 9:18am Just to add to what you said, page 45 section 7.2b states "A child may make a claim for negligence for 7 years from their 18th birthday.To ensure that all records are kept until the pupil reaches the age of 25 this retention period has been applied."

I'm not sure of the date of this publication but I'd always been under the same impression, 18+ 3y but it seems that is no longer correct!
Thanks. That one crept under the radar - I wonder when it changed? Guess it makes it more imperative too keep these things and reduce any potential drain on school spending.