Anyone still with a union? If so which one is best?

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Wazza5
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 28 15:46

Hi guys
Not posted on here in a while.
But just wanted to put a question out there.

I’ve been in this job for about 8 years now and never bothered about it before. But just later as things have changed over the last year, I’m considering joining up to cover my back.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 28 16:59

Re: Anyone still with a union? If so which one is best?

The best idea is usually to ask colleagues which union they are in. It will give you an idea of which union has the strongest presence in your school. As a retired union rep for Unison, I am biased. But they were always there for me. GMB are strongest in some areas. And Unite has a smaller presence in schools, but has a very strong infrastructure behind it. They will never be perfect. You will always hear carping about unions as you do about everything from cars insurance companies. But in these troubled times the important thing is to be in a union. United we bargain, divided we beg.
hotwheels
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 28 17:41

I'm with unison called on them a few times first time they came into school for meetings, if it was not for them having my back I would not be here now. can not recommend them enough everyone working in our position needs to be in a union. I never believed in them but would not be without it now -Wink.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jan 2021 28 18:21

I was advised by County to join a union as they explained, unlike other jobs, if an aligation was ever made about you from a pupil, in schools you will not get any support from senior management or the head. You are on your own. There first obligation is for the pupil and parents, not you. A union might be your only support.

I'm with Drone, ask others in your school to find out which is the strongest.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
tykeman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 28 19:17

Although retired now, when I started working in schools, I was advised to join a Union by the DHT. I joined Unison and I looked on it as an insurance policy to protect me whilst working in schools and took on the role of Unison school co-ordinator at my school. Whenever I had a question or wanted help, a Union rep always rang me back with an answer within a few hours. The subscription are based on what you earn. Don't make the mistake of trying to join after the horse has bolted and expect them to help, there is a cooling off period. I also advise you to take the advise of Drone. -Like.png-
Get out there and do it to them, before they do it to you
Sharky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 29 08:54

Is the Pope Catholic?!!!! It is your only defence. schools will not help you. as i saw further up. any allegation made against you will not be supported by the school. they have a duty towards pupils and parents. but that said, there are times when you will be supported however it is not worth the risk. do some research and choose one that is right for you... stay safe.. -Like.png-
"Can you just?....."
Cliff_Promise
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 29 10:35

I was naïve enough to think I didn't need one. But as others have said you really do NEED a union. Any allegations made against you and the only help you will get will be from a Union.

I'm with GMB.
Wazza5
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 29 12:14

Cheers guys -Thumb_up-
I will definitely look into it over the next few days.
redfern63
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 29 14:16

GMB. all unions are only as good as the members who are in it and how hard they want to fight for good conditions or pay.
I do believe in being in one if only for legal protection
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 29 15:56

Definitely, I was with my local union Unison and glad I was when I saw changes starting to happen, Lost my home and job with a good fight and well worth it. Management did get their way in the end, but at a price? Join one because at the end of the day, the Union will be the only ones on your side as your only a number to your employer.
Schoolbutler
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 08 12:19

Spent my first 12 year here without being in a union has my headteacher was very good and fair.She left 3 years ago and her parting words to me was "take my advice and join union" which I did and it was unison
Sb
stevegods
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 23 15:42

Not really been as active as I'd like or should on here .. but for what its worth, here's my take.

I've been a Site Manager of a large London Primary for nearly 16 years, nearly 1000 pupils.
All of the time I've been a member of UNISON and I would say it was imperative that anyone in a school environment should have some sort of formal backing to cover themselves just in case.

As for which one is best , hmmm that's really down to local members and stewards, and its not just about UNISON over GMB or any other public service Union .. its about finding a good worthwhile rep that will best represent you.

I was a Senior Shop Steward for many years, and understand that this is one of the biggest drawbacks. People pay their dues and then find they get little or know back up. Union facility time is cut , no real Union cover, and bad reps don't help matters. But the fact is , when you work in a school you are vulnerable to a lot of things. Allegations from parents / pupils / even fellow workers . Bullying - racism - discrimination of all kinds . You need to be and feel supported.

Join a Union for sure 100% - but do your research like you would for car insurance or anything else you would purchase. Ask others in the workplace , find out who is your local rep and see how good they are .. and if all else fails , become a Rep yourself .

Keep safe and well

Steve
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 24 07:53

Stevegods makes a good case.

When it comes to accusations/issues with pupils, you may think that school management would have your back but I have witnessed that they tend to take, at best, a neutral position, leaving you effectively isolated and feeling like a criminal. You do need someone in your corner with knowledge of the procedures being used who can explain and advise.