Do your cleaners rule the roost or try to?

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

doffmycap
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 29 08:52

Do your cleaners rule the roost or try to?

Does anyone have trouble regarding cleaners during school holidays? I'm the assistant caretaker and along with the main man we try and cover around when the cleaners come in during school holidays. It is now at a point where they think they can come in when they like and they expect us to just roll over. To give an example, this next half term they normally come in Mon and Tues morning but one of them said I can only come in Friday. She put the sheet in to her boss saying that cleaners would be in Mon, Tues and Friday.When I challenged her on this saying that would mean we'd have to cover 3 days instead of 2 all hell broke loose.
I told her they'd only be in 2 days either Mon and Fri or Tues and Fri. I went to see the business manager who agreed with me and said in future she would be telling the cleaners before each holiday the state of play. Unbelievable, you bend over backwards and they turn into spoilt monsters. Beware!!
Sharky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 29 08:59

Re: Do your cleaners rule the roost or try to?

I dont have this issue. I work closely with my cleaners and we have respect for each other... Ide like to think anyway.. but between us i draw up dates that they have to come in. and we go with the majority. But it is my decision. i can say i do believe in my cleaners i have a great team just now.
"Can you just?....."
doffmycap
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 29 09:24

Yeah thanks for that .We have a great team too but interestingly you say "it is my decision" ....they won't accept that that is the case with us so hopefully the business manager will smooth things over.
ash70
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 29 09:29

yes definately but at the same time we all have a good enough relationship to tell each other where to go
my life is like a game of tetris i never get the block i want
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 29 09:54

Contractors or directly employed by the school?
Cliff_Promise
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 29 10:33

Thankfully I don't line manage the in house cleaners here. The head cleaner also has their own set of keys too so they just work whenever they need to really. I just inform them of any contractor work in the holidays.
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 29 11:19

For anyone starting a job which involves supervising cleaners I would recommend that as soon as possible you accompany each one on their shift to see exactly what they do and how long. This gives you a benchmark which they have set. It's not always comfortable but it's invaluable in seeing how they work. Do it early because doing it after a few months leads to suspicion and gossip. Use the reason that you need to know in case they are absent and need cover.
When it comes to holiday working they should have been informed at interview when they would be expected to work. I always aim for the last week of the holidays. Get it written in their contract's. Do not let them decide when they will work or you will be messed about and will waste time.
Finally. Keep a close eye on standards! People have a tendency to gradually do a little bit less over time if they can get away with it. Some, not all. I have had a few cleaners who wanted to do a good job and took pride in their work. Most are their to get through the shift without attracting complaints. A few are really poor and will get you down! Set your stall early.
redfern63
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 29 14:12

My opinion is I try not to inhibit when my cleaners want their holidays, because we work where you have to use your holidays in non term time to restrict them anymore I feel in unfair. I have 4 cleaners who have access to the keys to the buildings the work in and an alarm fob. We have a kids club on site all year round apart from the mistletoe holiday and two weeks of the summer term
I have an assistant caretaker working with me and once the Kids Club manager asked the head to get us ,only to have holidays at different times.I flatly refused as then it would effectively restrict me to a 6 and half week timezone.
The efforts my lot have put in over the last year have earned them a lot of goodwill from me.
I have only once refused a cleaner's holiday because it was in term time and that was to a cleaner who was always trying to get away with going early and not doing the job properly. I have let a couple of cleaners take their holidays in term time and have covered the cleaning myself.
I can be hard when can some colleagues who will always swing the lead and want it there own way all the time. So when you get good staff be lenient.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 29 19:55

Contract cleaners here so they are already well aware all holiday work runs around the school. I will generally sit down a couple of weeks before any half term with the supervisor and look at they days they can be in, especially if I have holiday booked. All seems to work well but if I was you don’t let them dictate, it will be a slippery slope.
scrubadub
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 30 10:22

Our cleaners are given a list of dates they are expected to work in the holidays 2 years in advance. They are told when to come in, normally it's the last week before the summer break ends and the Monday of the other holidays. To be fair they are only contracted to work term time plus 25 hours spread throughout the year. But they are told in advance and we do not budge on the dates, that way the entire site team know where we are.
Lift your face to the sun, then the shadows will fall behind you.
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 30 12:20

With contract Cleaners there may have been one or two problems, But No problems with the in house Cleaners, Our biggest problem was the Academy management, who wanted more and more in the time allocated !!! and deciding when we could take our holidays just to be awkward !!! When we were a L.A school, we all worked out our time in and out between ourselves. As said all went to pot when we went over to a academy and a new h.t. they could not run a Urine in a brewery, selfish, horrible people, as us support workers did not have families and lives that mattered. No wonder in the end we all left or lost our jobs,
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 30 18:21

I was never too bothered about the hours they worked in non term time cleans. My only stipulation was that in the big holiday deep cleans such as the summer, I wanted them in early in the clean. Generally they were quite amenable to getting their hours done & having four weeks off. I had a very good working relationship with my cleaners most of the time.
Donald1
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2021 30 18:47

I am afraid they have no respect for you, you need to come down hard and professional and things will eventually get better or better still they will leave but be careful they may try sabotage eg, leaving windows/doors open when you have checked them always cover your back.
outdoorman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 01 09:49

Our cleaners have to do the 10 days + the 5 teacher training days.
So as most work 2.5 hours that's 15 x 2.5 = 37.5 hours

I split this amongst the holidays so
Summer hols have two teacher training days + i get them to work at least 3 additional days so thats 12.5 hours

--- (The word only permitted in December) --- has one teacher training day + 2 days I ask them to work so thats 7.5 hours

Easter has 1 teacher training day + 1 additional day thats 5 hours

That's a total of 25 hours

Being frank, there is not much more cleaning that they can do.

So quite often they are quids in but still moan about having to do the hours.

Do any of you get them to do any outside cleaning like litter picking, wiping down UPVC window sills etc