Fixed appliance testing interval

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Bill1958
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 04 15:46

Fixed appliance testing interval

Hi all can someone tell me the fixed appliance testing interval. Seems rather a grey area cheers
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 04 16:08

Re: Fixed appliance testing interval

Funny, I was just about to send something about the thermometer calibrations and included this. Our LEA prefers annual PAT testing and 5 year fixed wiring. It has to be by a competent person- which I chose not to do as there is circa 1000 items to check. I was "trained" which involved wiring a plug even though the trainer didn't check it -Shock.png- then it was "plug an item in, and if it is green it is OK, if it is red it is not OK". I did complain to county that the training was truly shocking (no pun intended) and chose not to buy a cheap tester. I know the better ones have labellers and do more checks, but felt I have enough to do without using up a week to hunt out items- let alone chase up CO's for bringing in all manner of items from home. -Scared.png-
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 04 17:24

It's 5 years bro.
Here is the guide.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=39028
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus, Mortiti.
gadget300
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 04 20:34

Depends on what you mean fixed appliance.

Everyone knows an electric drill comes under portable appliance testing

Everyone knows sockets and switches comes under fixed wire testing /periodic (now called electric installation condition report EICR)

However where would you put a wall mounted hand drier for instance, it is an appliance but most electricians would test up to the fused spur as part of an EICR and as it doesn’t have a plug gets missed off portable appliance testing.

In short as a business/school you need to decide which way you want to go and ensure that it’s tested one way or the other.

I used to work at a tenpin bowling centre as a mechanic many moons ago and the machines there were technically on plugs so done on portable appliance.

But in answer to your question, as a fixed item of equipment the hand drier example is very rarely going to get physically damaged and therefore your risk assessment could dictate a lower frequency of testing.
RED ALERT.............

.....but Sir, that does mean changing the light bulb!
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 05 07:40

gadget300 wrote: Thu, 4th Feb 2021, 8:34pm Depends on what you mean fixed appliance.

Everyone knows an electric drill comes under portable appliance testing

Everyone knows sockets and switches comes under fixed wire testing /periodic (now called electric installation condition report EICR)

However where would you put a wall mounted hand drier for instance, it is an appliance but most electricians would test up to the fused spur as part of an EICR and as it doesn’t have a plug gets missed off portable appliance testing.

In short as a business/school you need to decide which way you want to go and ensure that it’s tested one way or the other.

I used to work at a tenpin bowling centre as a mechanic many moons ago and the machines there were technically on plugs so done on portable appliance.

But in answer to your question, as a fixed item of equipment the hand drier example is very rarely going to get physically damaged and therefore your risk assessment could dictate a lower frequency of testing.

This is a great thought! I agree. But when I done my PAT course last year they said you have to visually inspect the hand drier and then test the fuse then sticker it at the fused spur, which is part of the new PAT regulations apparently. When I got trained they trained us for properly inspecting items by taking the plug apart and inspecting wires are in correctly etc, and that the correct fuse is in and also it conforms to the current BS kite mark. They also trained us to take down the insulation and resistance readings etc.. and how to test each item on quite a few of the more used PAT testing machines which are used such as the Seaward Primetest 50, 100, 150, and 250, and 250+ and 4 different Kewtech ones as they are so simple to use.
-Happy.png-
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. -Success.png-
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 05 12:22

Fixed wiring 5 years fixed appliance (school kitchen fixed electrical items) every 2 years here.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-