Water tank inspection

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Tom 1964
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 11 13:13

Water tank inspection

Recently we were having a survey done for a potential rewire when I was asked what a control box did in KS1 boys toilets.

I explained it contained the timers for the hot water cylinders which are located in the loft spaces. (We have 6). ?

I was then asked if the cylinders were inspected as this is a legal requirement.

Has anybody come across this themselves and if so who do you use.
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
Jomell
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 11 13:35

Re: Water tank inspection

We have our water expansion vessels inspected/tested every year (pressurised vessels).
Tom 1964
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 11 14:11

Any chance of putting me in the right direction of somebody able to do this?
You were only meant to dust the flipping floors off
UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 11 15:09

Our insurance company (Zurich) send someone out to test all pressure vessels annually.
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 11 15:28

Your boiler service company
Jomell
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 11 16:36

Yes, we use our local plumbers who service the boilers, etc.
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 11 19:30

Same as UnderPaid ! The LAs insurer who is also Zurich contact me annually to arrange inspection of pressure vessels.
It has come up before around inspection of cylinders, however iv been told by both boiler service company and H&S that as the cylinders have no actual moving parts (just a holding vessel) no service is required as all associated parts such as pumps etc are part of normal checks and service.
Jomell
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 11 21:42

Yes, we also have an insurance company out to inspect the vessels visually (they don't test them though). When you join a multi-academy trust they want everything tested/inspected -Like.png- Our recent Water Risk Assessment is now asking for these vessels to be tested every 6 months...
Sparky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 11 22:10

Jomell wrote: Thu, 11th Feb 2021, 9:42pm Yes, we also have an insurance company out to inspect the vessels visually (they don't test them though). When you join a multi-academy trust they want everything tested/inspected -Like.png- Our recent Water Risk Assessment is now asking for these vessels to be tested every 6 months...
Interesting Jomell.. is this just because you are a MAT ? When you say vessels are you still meaning pressure ? Or HW cylinders ?
You are right tho, the testing is the loosest possible term ! Some years it’s almost like a kick of a tyre test -Scared.png-
2 years ago an insurance inspector turned up for the pressure vessels inspections all suited and booted, he actually grabbed and rocked it (floor standing) to ensure It was secured correctly !! My words were, I’m not sure you should be doing that...? Cracked the connecting pipe work joins. Low and behold water everywhere!! Emergency call out to our boiler engineers at the insurance company expense. Funny enough he didn’t come last year -Happy.png-
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 23 15:29

Zurich test our PVs but it's not statutory, I think they need to be 250 (bar x litres) in volume x pressure.

I can't find a statutory requirement for servicing unvented water cylinders, but it seems a wise choice to me.
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 23 22:40

It might be better to employ a Water Monitoring Service, we had BMS do our testing every 6 months. We did our own weekly testing of normal outlets etc.

If some units are inaccessible in a normal situation, your heating service engineers should be bable to carry out these tests instead and supply a certificate.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower