Half term

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Schoolbutler
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 14 11:43

Half term

Well in 15 years of doing the job I love its first time I've decided to lock up on the Friday and not go in till after half term. I usually open up for staff even if I'm taking leave , only time I have not done this is if I am away on holiday.The new management have prompted my decision basically by saying good will does not last forever and a incident last week I was busy down in school early when headteacher came in to work and came to room I was working in .I asked if he needed me he said " no just checking you were busy and not sat about" he saw my face and then started to laugh trying to make out he was joking .Tha made my mind up
Sb
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 14 12:08

Re: Half term

The current generation of Heads are essentially Jobsworths. They have to show - because OFSTED or HMIs may ask - that they have their fingers in every pie. The old generation, all gone now, were a joy to work for. You were treated as respected professionals by them. Not saying that they gave us an easy ride. Far from it. They ran a tight ship. But they knew how to get the best out of the crew.
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 14 12:26

New management don't make Jokes and especially laugh!! Start making notes on what times and the work you do, although it will not help you for any future problems you may entail, but something to chuck back at them, although as said it will mean nothing. Good luck my friend, stay safe and healthy and don't let them get you down.
ash70
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 15 08:57

i now do just what im asked to do nothing more nothing less gone are the days of working late for nothing and being appreciated as you say good will does not last forever and i feel far better mentally for it
my life is like a game of tetris i never get the block i want
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2021 15 10:39

Drone wrote: Sun, 14th Feb 2021, 12:08pm The current generation of Heads are essentially Jobsworths. They have to show - because OFSTED or HMIs may ask - that they have their fingers in every pie. The old generation, all gone now, were a joy to work for. You were treated as respected professionals by them. Not saying that they gave us an easy ride. Far from it. They ran a tight ship. But they knew how to get the best out of the crew.
That's very true. With my first head, I was treated like his right hand man (dare I say a bit like Potter in Please Sir). I had regular weekly meetings with him, we discussed that weeks events and what he wanted. He didn't give me an easy time like you said. But we shared our knowledge and feel he gave me a lot of respect which was mutual. He was also appreciative of what I did and would regularly thank me for going beyond the call of duty.

Time moved on, 7 heads later and the introduction of Business Managers and it was a very different job. I never got to see the head personally anymore. BM would dictate what he wanted and often got blamed for his failings. I was never thanked and certainly didn't feel appreciated.

BM had no comprehension about how much effort and time was needed to do tasks. When I was told there was a massive classroom 'change of use' meaning a complete turn around involving 3 levels of classrooms, they expected it to be done in a day 'single handed'. I arranged for a removal firm to carry out the move (at very competitive rates may I add lol). I got all the staff to pack up their equipment in removal boxes the night before. The firm came in, spent all day (8 of them) lugging the boxes up and down stairs and when they had finished, I thanked them and they went on their way. BM turned up, said is the removal firm going to unpack all the boxes and put all the equipment/books etc in the teachers draws for them? "NO, I replied, they are a removal firm. When you move house, they don't unpack everything and set out the house, that's the new home owners job. He them said can I get them back to do it? NO, was my reply. He then asked for their telephone number and he would ask them.... Needless to say, they didn't come back.

OK, I admit, I saw red & lost my temper with the BM and called him raciest comments and threw a 7ft set of lockers at him. He came to my office a week later (he wanted me to calm down and he wanted to buck up some courage) to apologise and said I want you to be the first to know. You made me realise I am not cut out for this work and I have put my notice in. I guess in hindsight that the head was behind all this and he was being treated in the same manor I was from the BM. I was the straw that broke the camels back.

Happy days. I'm so glad I am retired. -Big grin.png-

EDIT: I asked a member of staff who witnessed my outburst what I had said to the BM. He wouldn't tell me apart from "I'm not going to tell you. But just know it was bad".

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
strider
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 15 12:22

I was the same Bend over backwards to help out working late coming back to lock up and all the rest. they took on another care taker who used to be a teacher and my life turned to poo all the cushy jobs ive lost. I now do only what I am asked and when I finish I am finished no checking emails at night or phoning around sorting things out. not for me anymore.
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 15 12:57

I have to admit i had two brilliant head teachers at my school and the teaching staff and support staff were second to none, the BM was great and did say to me "You will get little praise but quite a few complaints" and as it happens i got very few complaints but did fall fowl of the BM and took retirement, an unfortunate time in our relation ship which broke down over a short period of time. -Disappointment.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
Schoolbutler
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 15 14:59

My problem was I had same business manager since I started but she retired at --- (The word only permitted in December) --- she was great .The headteacher who gave me the job was brilliant she didn't presume things and always asked.There was times she stuck up for me above teaching staff ,so I was very accommodating has she was very appreciative.Then when she left we have had 3 temporary headteachers and in all I don't seem to exist in their eyes .I am never asked or even told anything.The new BM is very good and I do get along with her but I feel the headteacher is also putting on the BM and we are supposed to be getting our new Headteacher in August but I may have retired by then
SB