Need Help with these job interview Tasks

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

mrmixedit
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 15 20:32

Need Help with these job interview Tasks

I have been for a job interview today for a site manager in a school. The business manager has given me 2 task questions and i really need help in what to put if someone could help me i would be really grateful
Devise a 3 year rolling maintenance plan. what will be covered and how frequently it will be checked
how will you manage expectations of senior staff to complete projects, whilst also managing budget constraints, staff availability, and team capabilities
EBJ
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 16 20:24

Re: Need Help with these job interview Tasks

Sorry m8 i was only a caretaker. lock and open, clean and repair so the BM did all that at the school. -Wink.png-

Sigillum Militum Xpisti
(The Seal of the Soldier of Christ)
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2021 16 21:52

Welcome aboard. Thanks for registering. -Like.png-

I'm sure some of the members will be able to help you out shortly. Have you had a look to see if there is anything useful in our Guides section? viewforum.php?f=44

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Breezeblock
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 16 22:16

Off the top of my head:

Daily - general site check interior / exterior

Weekly checks - fire fighting equipment, escape routes, flushing water outlets, boundaries & gates

Monthly checks - known asbestos condition check, play equipment, water temperature monitoring, defibrillator, portable power tools

Annual - gas appliances, portable appliances (PAT), sports equipment, ladders & access equipment, thermostatic mixing valves (strip down and de scale)

Three years - tree survey

Five years - fixed wiring

I’m sure I have missed loads but that will get you started. Good luck!
We will never see progressive change until people stop believing what they read in newspapers
Mr H
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 17 07:36

Try and make it clear which jobs you believe should be covered by a contractor or external company and why. They want to know you'll manage not only the site through in house staff and resources, but the companies that come in as well. Mention safeguarding.

Your role in order of relevance is: Safety - Security - Everything else. Maintenance plans should be addressed in that order.

If it's part of your job - mention you'll risk assess everything!

When it comes to keeping senior staff happy... Let's be honest, address issues in a timely manor and within budget. Prioritize work that aids the children's daily learning (it's a school after all)

It's tricky to do maintenance plan at a school you don't work at yet! Service schedules are pretty universal but there's no doubt things that are specific to your site.

Good luck
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 17 09:05

It depends on how well you know the school or have a building survey to inform a 3 year maintenance plan and how much it is likely to cost. With the budget restraints it might be worth mentioning that you will ensure with every job over a certain amount of money you would obtain at least 3 quotes. I think managing senior staff expectations it is about keeping them regularly updated with progress with explanations of why things are happening as they are, e.g. if things seems to be happening slowly because you need to have a thorough asbestos survey done on an area before a refurb can take place etc.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 17 12:13

As mentioned above for the three-year maintenance plan, you would need time to check over the last building survey report taking note of any recommendations highlighted. They are usually listed in order of importance so you could start there balancing budget to importance of maintenance issue.
Good luck
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 17 19:39

What!!....devise a 3 year plan for a school you've never worked in.

I'd have walked out of the interview as the BM sounds like an amateur Hilter. A maintenance plan takes time and experience to work out, extensive knowledge of all the plant installations, as said..... conditional surveys, but also RA's and H&S reports. The whole point of a plan is to itemise priorities and for any ramifications if breakdowns or accidents happen.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower
mrmixedit
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 18 10:56

I Did say this at the Interview. The BM had only been there a few months herself. Ive since been offered something else so i have turned this school down. I got a bad vibe when i went for the interview
Mr H
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 19 07:06

Sounds like a smart move, she doesn't sound like someone easy to work with at all.

Congratulations!