Talking about making the school day longer

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Derek N
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 18 08:27

Talking about making the school day longer

Talking about making the school day longer and having children in during the summer holidays

What do you all think about this if it was to happen. Not fair on us guys and girls who have worked throughout the lockdowns

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... h-19855751
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 18 09:04

Re: Talking about making the school day longer

The problem is that there is such a wide range of experiences, some children and the majority of staff have studied/worked as hard or even harder than before the pandemic while others, even possibly in the same class have not had access to online learning (or couldn't be bothered in some cases) and so will probably be far behind. Making the pupils who have worked throughout work even more in the evenings and summer holidays is hardly fair and not very productive. Something needs to happen to help those children who have fallen behind but I don't think extending school days/terms for everyone is the solution.

Also is the government going to give out money for overtime for staff or are they expecting them to work for free? If the latter then this idea is not going anywhere as the teachers unions will shut it down - if they haven't already. I suspect the "Children's Tsar" will be lying on a beach on a tropical island somewhere drinking cocktails in the summer holidays while expecting others to give up their time.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 18 10:28

That'll never get past the unions.
Mr H
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 19 07:15

It's not ideal, but surely it makes more sense to offer this kind of work out to out of hours teachers/tutors. Hopefully it's only a handful of kids per school that need thid extra time and this should be allowed for at home.

No need to open a whole building/buildings all that comes with it. It's not really fair on the rest.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Feb 2021 19 08:23

I can't find anything on the interweb about school hours, but I am sure when I was at school in the late 60's, my school day started at 8.45am and finished at 4pm. I'm sure we used to have longer days. But we may have had longer lunch breaks and longer summer holidays. I'm sure I had 7 weeks summer holidays. Maybe some of the 'older' members can remember better than me. -Kiss.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Leatherface
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 19 16:35

I mentioned this when chatting to my deputy head. His view is that the teaching unions will not accept extensions to the day or reductions to the holidays without a fight, and it’s unlikely to happen.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 19 16:52

It sounds like political posturing, so that despite how poorly thought out this seems to be, in a few years and the media/opposition are criticizing the government about the "lost generation" and how levels of attainment have dropped they will go "well we had a plan to solve this but the unions and teachers wouldn't allow it so blame them."
Derek N
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 20 20:19

I agree with you all the unions will not let this happen. Teachers and ourselves needs the rest.
Like Mr H mentioned not all the children will need this so it should be left to the schools to decide and put on during holiday schools and the government pays the overtime to any staff that wants to do it. This can then work around are jobs that needs doing.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 20 22:10

thecaretaker wrote: Fri, 19th Feb 2021, 8:23am I can't find anything on the interweb about school hours, but I am sure when I was at school in the late 60's, my school day started at 8.45am and finished at 4pm. I'm sure we used to have longer days. But we may have had longer lunch breaks and longer summer holidays. I'm sure I had 7 weeks summer holidays. Maybe some of the 'older' members can remember better than me. -Kiss.png-
I remember 8:45am to 3:30pm secondary school daze, not sure about school holidays although I do remember them never being long enough -Zip.png-
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Sgtspite1968
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 20 23:00

It's not practical, school day ends at 15:30 and if you include after school activities then 16:30, cleaning of the school then begins and takes min 3hrs which is 19:30, with enhanced cleaning this can take us up to 20:00. just not enough time on the clock. Its a simple case of opening one's mouth before engaging ones brain.