Out of SLA good or bad?

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Johnsilv1958
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 22 06:10

Out of SLA good or bad?

On second spell at my school. Since my previous employment the school has opted out of the SLA property maintenance agreement with County. We are a small 360 pupil infant school. From my viewpoint it seems to be more work for me now. Anyone else out there gone through this and how is it going?. To me it seems a bad idea just to save a few quid.. But early days.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 22 06:43

Re: Out of SLA good or bad?

The schools that I've been at that had it, seemed a waste of money to me. More work to deal with it in house but not much and equally more control. When frustrated with service it was easier to sort in house.
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 22 07:50

We came out of SLA with county which was £18000 but we chose a different one with Corrigenda for just £4500. They cover all the servicing that county did but you pay for all the breakdowns and callouts. But even then we save thousands. Some things like the fire extinguishers, intruder alarms, glazing and EICR we kept the same companies county used just paid them directly and it was cheaper. Added advantage is you get a quote cost before the job is done unlike county who would for example fix a broken window then just send a bill for what they like.

There is a list of things that would be covered by county automatically like roof problems, drain replacement but also online training which would now have to be paid for if they happen so you have to be aware of this,it was listed in the caretaker manual. I did tell SLT they needed to put some of the saving aside each year to build up a pot but they haven't. So I let them worry about finding the money since they spent it on more Teaching assistants !!!!
timmydog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 22 08:43

hi big bear as you know T/A,s are very good at maintinence ha ha
twiglets
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 22 08:53

The only issue I would see is if there was any major works required. I know we buy in and hope to get big projects completed. We are in the process of replacing all windows and doors, gutters, roof cleaned and some repointing- would county still pick up these or would you need to save for them? I don't know the ins and outs of where the line is drawn for you to pick up the bill? Yes, lots of things are cheaper, but project managing large projects may mot be within your grade?
Johnsilv1958
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 22 11:57

Thanks for all the replies.. It seems to me that they haven't really thought about setting savings aside to pay for repairs etc, I think we, ve been lucky so far... On a wider issue I phoned our county surveyor who whilst helping me as much as he could said That he shouldn't , really be talking to me gratis and we should pay for his advice... Which is fair enough. Sometimes I feel a little bit lost without backup from County. Just suppose we blow all the money on a planned new build (in the planning stage) then the boiler or roof starts leaking who is going to sort it.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 22 12:14

I was in favour of it by & large. But we had a situation where schools who had not bought into the SLA were having H&S information not passed on by County. That was, in my view, out of order.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 22 13:44

Are you a local authority school or an academy?
trout39843
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 22 18:11

For us, it was the best thing. We opted out in '05. Yes, it was a load more work on me but the days of contractors just showing up I ended quick. Also, I took some time to find new and cheaper contracts, managed my budgets and saved some for better tools and such. Then in '10 we became an independent academy. When we opted out, the council did do some things for us but now, it all falls on my shoulders. I made a spreadsheet to keep track of everything, got compliance up to scratch and still manage to save the school some bucks.
https://www.thecaretakers.co.uk/RA3/Mai ... blank.xlsx
Give me a holler if you want any help bro.
"Life is tough, It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Quando Omni Flunkus, Mortiti.
motorr
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 22 22:31

We opt out last year and have saved near £35k. Not to much extra work for me. Now we are also out of ground maintenance as well so will have a better job done when we want it done not when they think fit to pop in and seat in the van for a hour calling it a lunch break at 9 am
Schoolbutler
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 23 10:33

We left our SLA for compliance 2 years ago due to cost but our new temp headteacher has apparently given the company notice and asked our local authority to take back over.Which means I will end up chasing them to keep up to date with everything and they will always turn up during middle of day when I'm off shift .so I'm not happy
Sb
stevegods
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 23 12:20

We came out of the SLA about 10 years ago.

On the one hand it was really good , as we where being charged for jobs that where never completed , jobs that where not wanted and tradesmen that we would never have employed to do the work. But on the other , it opened up a whole other can of worms for unscrupulous an Business Manager to have more and more control over funds / contactors / and maintenance.

On balance i would say it is a really good thing , if you have a good Head and a good team around you.

If you don't , it can prove difficult , so beware what you ask for .