Making classrooms as covid safe as possible

The board to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

hawkwind
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 23 11:47

Making classrooms as covid safe as possible

Hi, apart from the usual open windows, wash and sanitise hands have you done anything that could improve the actual air quality and air flow in classrooms.
We have rooms that only have one small window and a door and the air quality is very poor.
With the now 8th of march reopening of schools and no help whatsoever from the government what can we do to help?
Is there any sort of portable extraction unit, or could a fan help by either blowing either to or from the window or would that only help to blow infection around.
Really struggling to see what we could do without it costing a small fortune.
They can't fire me. Slaves have to be sold.
wjt28
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 23 12:00

Re: Making classrooms as covid safe as possible

In a previous life we needed to improve air movement. The most simple, but effective way is to have an interior door open plus a window. If you can have a door leading outside open too, that improves things. Failing that, just a normal fan in the room helps to move air a lot.
when you've got a minute can you just.......
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 23 15:37

You can get fan units attached to flat plates that can be put in window openings to either extract or pressurise rooms.
This is commonly done to stop dust traveling into other spaces. (put the room under negative pressure and dust cannot escape)

I think machine mart used to do them. they may be suitable?
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
hawkwind
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 23 23:20

-Like.png- thanks I'll look into this tomorrow -Like.png-
They can't fire me. Slaves have to be sold.
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2021 24 09:45

The advice from Government is to ventilate the classes, to do so you have to bring air in from outside to replace the air you are looking to get out or dilute.

You will have to have passive or active extraction to do this, open exterior windows or doors either for the building or each classroom or extractor units.

Either way you will lose building heat which may be more of an issue than any covid virons floating around.

I would say that hygiene is paramount ( since covid rules have applied we have had no illness in school of any sort ) together with enhanced surface cleaning, door handles, horizontal and vertical surfaces, removal of soft furnishings things like that.