Asked to work off site

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Mark 21
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 06:17

Asked to work off site

Morning, following last week's windy weather I have been asked to repair damage to a school neighbours garden.This includes re felting a couple of shed roofs and replacing fence panels.(The wind lifted an acrylic sheet from a structure in the playground). The house is a fair distance from the main school building.
Is this a reasonable request?
Thanks
Sharky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 07:08

Re: Asked to work off site

hhmm. tricky one. are you covered under liability insurance? without knowing your maintenance abilities are you competent to carry out the work to the standard they are going to expect? And can you do it as safely as you would want to be doing something inside school. and most of all. do you really want to do it? you have no obligation to do it. i personally would not do something like that although could quite easily. I would not want the come back and the hassle.
"Can you just?....."
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 07:23

Surely some thing like that is covered under the schools insurance?
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Mark 21
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 07:24

Yes I am competent enough, just not too happy working in someone's garden in a relatively confined space. The person whose garden it is is also a parent who is known to be difficult at times.
Sharky
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 07:34

Mark 21 wrote: Wed, 17th Mar 2021, 7:24am Yes I am competent enough, just not too happy working in someone's garden in a relatively confined space. The person whose garden it is is also a parent who is known to be difficult at times.
Then the Answer would be a No. Im sure you would be in no way insured to do so anyway. as your place of work is a fixed address. who stumping up the payout if you happened to slip or fall and cause Injury?
"Can you just?....."
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 07:35

Just tell the school to get a contractor to sort it.
It isn't part of your job & if the parent is a loon , could say all sorts of things about you or the work that has been carried out.
-Kiss.png- I AM A REALIST NOT A PESSOMIST
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 07:38

Insurance is likely to be an issue. I wouldn't do it.
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 07:39

Vera wrote: Wed, 17th Mar 2021, 7:23am Surely some thing like that is covered under the schools insurance?
School insurance normally has a stupidly high excess like £10,000. Its mainly for flood fire collapse etc. Schools just have to take small things, even break-ins on the chin from budget. Normally ours !!!
Cliff_Promise
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 07:43

Get a contractor in for that bud.
jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 08:07

As already mentioned, insurance would be questionable.

Also not that I'm in any way questioning your competence to do the work, but if the person who's garden it is was not happy with the work done, or any unforeseen problems came up, the comeback would end up being on you not the school! I for one would certainty refuse, and I know we would never dream of putting any of our colleges in the same position.