Asked to work off site

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 08:11

Re: Asked to work off site

Categoriaclly no. Next thing you know you'll be replacing turf as it "damaged the turf", then repainting the house as it's left a mark on the wall that can't be touched up.

The main glaring issue as others have said is the insurance side of things, you won't be covered if something happens like falling off a ladder, or even hitting your hand with a hammer. If the parent is as much of a "loon" as you say, then say you're uncomfortable being that close/alone with them, and aren't prepared to put yourself in a situation that should never be happening in the first place.

The school has 3 options.

1. Insurance. If it's anything like ours they'll have to pay the first £500. I'm guessing they don't want to do the paperwork that goes with it. In my experience the premium won't go up that much/if at all unless they claim left right and centre.

2. Get a qualified contractor in. No offence to yourself, but you're not set up (presumably) to go around to people's houses and do odd jobs. If said parent/neighbour is unhappy at anything you do, then you'll get it in the neck from them, and probably higher up because it "makes them look bad". Contractor will go, do the job, any issues resulting from it can then be referred back to the contractor to sort. Not you. Also possibly cheaper/as cheap as insurance claim

3. Tell the neighbour to claim on their insurance. That could then in turn result in their insurance company getting in touch with the schools, and then returning to point 1 anyway. Perhaps they don't have insurance themselves......

Stand your ground and don't even entertain the thought of doing it. Go around with the head by all means to survey the damage so that you can go to Contractors with what needs to be done, but leave it there.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Mar 2021 17 09:19

No, it is not reasonable. Probably not legal either. Issues over insurance for a start. You are employed to work for either an LEA or a MAT. Either way, you are employed to work on their premises. If you are being asked to work off-site I would suggest you seek a meeting with either the Head or SBM to resolve the matter before it escalates to a grievance.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Proud to be retired
Mar 2021 17 12:33

As others have said, no its not a reasonable request. I understand the school wanting to save money but this action is highly unethical in my opinion.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 15:18

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but, I think the school should claim for any damage caused by the wind/storm IE replacing the acrylic sheets, and the house owners should claim for any damage they sustained (wherever it came from) Its not your fault the wind did what it did and I dont think the school has any responsibility towards the householder. Yes the piece of sheeting may have come from your school and it may have caused some damage but this was out of your control and I would tell them sort it themselves! That is what Insurance is for.
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 16:46

Rockstar wrote: Wed, 17th Mar 2021, 3:18pm I don't know what anyone else thinks, but, I think the school should claim for any damage caused by the wind/storm IE replacing the acrylic sheets, and the house owners should claim for any damage they sustained (wherever it came from) Its not your fault the wind did what it did and I dont think the school has any responsibility towards the householder. Yes the piece of sheeting may have come from your school and it may have caused some damage but this was out of your control and I would tell them sort it themselves! That is what Insurance is for.
Problem is they will say the sheet was not secured correctly (and clearly it wasn't) and as such the school are responsible for the damage caused.

When I first came to this school it was a REALLY windy day and the nursery building called to say there was banging on the roof.
I went over to look and the whole length of multiwall roofing that formed the lean to on the back of the building was doing a really great impression of a wave. -JawDropped.png- The kids were still playing outside!
I confined them all to barracks until the day after when i could safely get a good look.
It turns out all 24 sheets 12 foot by 4 foot were only fastened in with 3 screws at the bottom and 3 at the top.. literally nothing in the middle.
I ordered the bits and spent a full day re fastening the whole roof. Can't believe that the contractor who built it left it like that. -Shock.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
TheTakerofCare
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 17 18:57

Also, has this 1 sheet actually taken out a couple, implies 2, sheds and some, again more than 1 fence panels? Seems to have really done some damage in 1 garden, some way from school!
Mark 21
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mar 2021 18 09:41

Hi, yes the property is a distance from the main building but alongside the playing field. It was a 10mm thick perspex sheet 2400 X 1200 held down with 1 inch screws that had rusted, installed by contractors way before my time. The cracked edges were as sharp as glass.
Anyway many thanks for your replies will get the BM to deal with it and make my position clear.
Sgtspite1968
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 12 22:42

Are you a maintained school, If so this should be down to the LEA through their insurance to sort.
The School could find itself in a tricky situation if the parent who is known to be difficult expects a warranty on the work?
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Sep 2021 13 10:58

Not within the boundry fence of the school, then simply not you job.
As said if the parent isn't happy, it'll fall to you, also you'll be setting a president and making a rod for your own back.

Get a contractor in.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
wjt28
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 13 17:10

eggy wrote: Wed, 17th Mar 2021, 7:35am Just tell the school to get a contractor to sort it.
It isn't part of your job & if the parent is a loon , could say all sorts of things about you or the work that has been carried out.
This. imagine if the parent made a wholly fictitious complaint against you too. There is not end to the trouble this could land you in.
when you've got a minute can you just.......