What Goes In A Boiler Room?

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

FilthyRaider
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 14:28

What Goes In A Boiler Room?

Okay, I have two schools I've taken on, both boiler rooms full of stuff. Old SM clearly not thinking straight. Currently planning a raid on both to clear them up.

So I have answered this question myself BUT space in the schools for storage (particularly for me) is an issue. I can clear stuff out but I have little or nowhere else for it to go.

What can you put in a boiler room?

My answer - The Boiler.

But given I have no other storage:

Now one is fairly tidy, you can get in, I think there is a ladder and trolley in there neatly put away, some bags of salt. Head, however, is on the warpath about it. I'll be over there later to scout it out again.

The other had paint cans in it (not anymore!) but loads of tools scattered about on a concrete shelf. A sun sail. Yes, all these will get sorted and moved, but I'll ask again from you guys, who have done this longer than me, what can you legitimately keep in there as long as it's safely stored and safe (not flammable etc)?

This is all based on the fact I have nowhere to put bags of salt, tools and anything basically non-flammable.
Nigel
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 14:46

Re: What Goes In A Boiler Room?

We all have the same problem, can you just store this? anything flammable a no no.
I try to limit stuff but it`s a losing battle! bear in mind that the "cleaners cupboard" in one of our relatively new buildings is in the boiler room, designed this way by an architect -Shock.png-
Some Days even the baboon misses the branch
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 15:08

I have always been told that nothing combustible.
So things like no wood paper etc.

Salt is fine trolleys (as long as they are tidy) ladders (not on the floor) even tools and workbenches are ok if that's where you have the space.

Just use common sense really, keep it clean, tidy and well lit.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 15:17

A boiler room shouldn't have anything in it that's not related to the boiler. It must not be obstructed of course, but as long as whatever is in there is not combustable, or likely to leak, or affect the fire detection and safety systems, you can probably cover it in a risk assessment.

Storage is always an issue I have found, the cheap metal sheds from Screwfix help out for things that can stored outside in a shed.
TheTusk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 15:20

FilthyRaider wrote: Thu, 10th Jun 2021, 2:28pm some bags of salt.
I was told by our county (Essex) insurance man who comes out every couple of years to inspect our boiler house that salt should never be kept in the boiler house because of its corrosive properties.
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 15:42

We had ours refitted about 9 years ago, and were lucky enough that we had a decent company in who had the foresight to partition it off (concrete block) install fire doors, and that then freed up the rest of the old boiler room for storage.

So in answer to your question ours has the 3 boilers, hot water tank, calorifier, a hose connected to the hot water tank which is wound up and in a mop bucket (for drainage), and a spill kit which I've put on the wall as we have had a few roof leaks around the boilers.

Insurance (Essex) absolutely love it and always comment on how tidy it is.
Keyolder
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 18:44

I remember way back in the dim and distant past when I took over a school. The school had a separate pump room from the boilers with the pumps calorfiers valves plus water storage tanks above. The boiler room was clear but the pump room was full of old school records --- (The word only permitted in December) --- decorations and clothing from school plays. I made myself very unpopular with the ht deputy and office staff by suggesting the pump room be cleared of all the stored items as it is a fire risk. I met with unanimous anger from staff as according to them the stuff has always been stored there. I made a rod for my own back as I was given the job of finding somewhere else to put it plus move it all. I found out a few months later the ht complained to the caretaking supervisor about my actions, the supervisor of course backed me up.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it... -Crazy.png-
FilthyRaider
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 10 21:38

Space is the issue. I noticed the old guy had even fitted a hand sanitizer to the wall in there. Going through the Fire Audits for my other school, they have to move bottles of it from a cupboard on the other side of the corridor to a kitchen as it's a flammable risk apparently....

The salt, we have a tub, just looks like he over ordered.....
Dragonrider
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 10 22:21

Used to have all my tools, racks of timber for repair jobs, then we had to have a new boiler installed and it was decided to have a breeze block enclosure built around the new boiler, so when the computer network was upgraded, I ended up with the server in a corner of the new, small boiler enclosure as I was the only person who knew anything about computers!
After 28 years in one school, moving on to a new start and new lifestyle, Headmistress free! Double Stroke survivor.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 2021 10 23:05

TheTusk wrote: Thu, 10th Jun 2021, 3:20pm I was told by our county (Essex) insurance man who comes out every couple of years to inspect our boiler house that salt should never be kept in the boiler house because of its corrosive properties.
I'd second that. Boilers cost a fortune to install and having salt in the boiler room will cause premature failure of many metal parts, switch gear, relays and even valves. Especially if it gets damp.

I used the ramp of our new special needs minibus to distribute salt one winter to all our roads. Even though I washed the minibus out with a hose afterwards, 18 months later the minibus was almost unusable. The windows were at risk of falling out of their rubbers due to rust and the floor seatbelt bracket things had rusted solid. So I know how corrosive salt can be. Just don't tell the head I told you... -Big grin.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 11 08:01

thecaretaker wrote: Thu, 10th Jun 2021, 11:05pm I'd second that. Boilers cost a fortune to install and having salt in the boiler room will cause premature failure of many metal parts, switch gear, relays and even valves. Especially if it gets damp.

I used the ramp of our new special needs minibus to distribute salt one winter to all our roads. Even though I washed the minibus out with a hose afterwards, 18 months later the minibus was almost unusable. The windows were at risk of falling out of their rubbers due to rust and the floor seatbelt bracket things had rusted solid. So I know how corrosive salt can be. Just don't tell the head I told you... -Big grin.png-
I should have qualified the comments earlier, the salt in question is in a sealed poly bag inside a bin with lid.
Never store open salt in there kids!

It is my emergency supply for when the salt in the bins outside are frozen up or inaccessible. Still there 3 years later -Happy.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
samsmith
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 12 11:19

Hi guys, sorry I have been gone a while, things have been manic here. Our Boiler Room has the boilers, the calorifiers and the controls for the boiler room. The door to the boiler room is kept locked and there are limited numbers of keys. (One in the key box in my office, one on my work key bunch and one in the office key box.)
Sam Smith

"Whenever there a hall that needs a moppin', I'll be there... Whenever there's a urinal mint that needs replacin', I'll be there... Whenever a kid breaks a window or barfs on the floor, I'll be there... All you gotta do is bleep me... You know how to bleep me don't you Muriel? Just press the phone buttons and hit #" - Hank from Disney's Recess

Check out my blog! - http://caretakersam.blog
Jubbs
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jun 2021 12 17:19

Technically nothing or anything that is combustible or could impede Fire crews from access. Even electrical equipment can catch fire and give off toxic fumes.
If it is a big store, then I would invest in highly visible fire/chemical proof cupboard or cupboards that is out of the way and gives good access to the boiler room at all points around the boilers.

Any flammable or corrosive contents should be displayed outside the boiler room and the cupboards must be kept under lock and key.

Make sure your boiler room has adequate ventillation and a second means of escape, aka, at the very least a ground level window that opens enough to allow an adult through it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. Milton Berle
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because they want to do it. D.Eisenhower