Appreciated?

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker, inspector

seedfut
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 07 19:01

Appreciated?

We are at that time of year I love, teachers faces lighting up with joy as baskets of goodies appear etc.
Today our owners have excelled themselves. I work at a private school-trust me not all its cracked up to be. Last night at the staff meeting it was anounnced funding had been given for a "mindfulness" spa day for the staff. We have me and, there will be by the end of next week one other male staff member(who said hes not interested as its not his thing. Its not mine either but not to be approached.....)
I have been informed "mindfullness day" excludes or doesn't include me and my cleaner-she is cross not to be included. To add insult to injury the staff also get a day off in leiu for the day. I am expected to be in school working on that day on my own.
Gosh how valued do i feel. I even did shed a few tears over this-mindfullness its brown and steamy and comes out of a bull.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 07 19:10

Re: Appreciated?

You & your cleaner can practise exactly the same techniques over a couple of pints of Guinness down the pub. Worked for me.
Sgtspite1968
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 07 21:05

Been there so many times, there are ways and means to get your due.
If they are away at the spa, kick back for the day and take your merry time.
-Big grin.png-
Stiggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 07 23:31

As nice as it would be to get something from the top of the ladder I never expect it and would probably die of shock if they did, what always makes me smile is the the many little gifts I get from the kids, I usually end up stood at gate duty in the morning with more bottles of port, biscuits, chocolates and little keepsakes the kids have made me than I can carry alone.
welshhunk
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 08 07:24

As much as I agree with all previous replys , this stinks of discrimination. white collar workers v the rest.
I have experienced this kind of discrimination in the past and leaves such a sour taste. I would certainly let those involved know how you and your cleaner feel -Angry.png- -Angry.png- -Angry.png-
wake me up before you gogo.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 08 08:07

welshhunk wrote: Thu, 8th Jul 2021, 7:24am As much as I agree with all previous replys , this stinks of discrimination. white collar workers v the rest.
I have experienced this kind of discrimination in the past and leaves such a sour taste. I would certainly let those involved know how you and your cleaner feel -Angry.png- -Angry.png- -Angry.png-
I wold echo this..
I have been at a school where the site staff were told we could not use the staff room! -Angry.png-
More so there was a a site map in the staff room showing anyone new where all the departments are in the school, guess what? No site office marked on the map.. -Mad.png-

Being a slightly anarchistic type i carried on using the staff room when i wanted to (not often really) and the map got graffitied with the "wot no site office?" logo in the top right hand corner... -Big grin.png-
Nobody changed it and I was never challenged about staffroom use as the regular staff had no idea we had been banned, I for one would have made quite the scene if I was challenged and made sure other staff overheard the cries of inequality!
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 08 08:13

I can honestly say that both the caretaker and I are always included in whatever is going on.

Maybe we are just lucky.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.----------------------------------------
You reap what you sow!
motorr
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 08 09:18

I feel so lucky at the school I am at. If its a staff do then all staff are invited. apart from the wednesday evening staff meeting ( it's about Teaching) all staff are invited to all meetings. I have been on 1 residential week and 1 day trip.been here 2.5yrs Next week I have a trip on Monday was asked to go on Tuesday (Chessington) not my thing, so 1 of my cleaners to go on.
What a difference a good SLT time makes.
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 2021 08 11:04

Another perspective...

Dare I say, I was always invited to staff do's. Like cheese and wine parties in the staff room.

However, I always suspected an ulterior motive. I always found myself left behind having to clear up the mess afterwards and having to lock up.

I guess for the head it's a case of dammed if I do and dammed if I don't invite the site staff.

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jul 2021 08 13:09

I had better things to do with my time, after the new management team took over, they also had to clear their own mess up after staffroom get to-gethers. I suppose that went against me at the end when I lost my job and home, something in the words as, not being part of the team!!! Still never mind. enjoying the sun, sea, swimming pool in Spain again today, siesta time now, -Cool.png-