Non religious working in religious school.

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Tykethat1+
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 23 20:00

Non religious working in religious school.

I’ve been working at a religious primary school for over 10 years, I’m an atheist but I accept everybody’s right to their own beliefs.
Today we’ve had a staff meeting for all staff which ended (without any prior notification) with prayers, I’m very unhappy (understatement) that this has been in effect forced on me, question is do I make a complaint or am I peeing in the wind ?
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 23 21:06

Re: Non religious working in religious school.

Part and parcel of working in a faith school I've always believed.

I worked at a Catholic school for about 18 months, and I'm not religious at all. Whenever it came to anything like that, I'd just bow my head out of respect, either that or keep an eye out for the kids mucking around.
DanCotton
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Sep 2021 23 22:36

My school is Catholic and I'm not religious really, I was christened as a baby but haven't followed any religious ways ever,
When I'm present and they prey I do the same and bow my head our of respect but I don't cross myself and nobody has ever said anything, it's a mutual respect thing I think and luckily my headteacher and staff aren't pushy or judgey,
After all it's our differences that make us individuals
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 24 07:15

same here. just don't look around,
today I went to a funeral with a whole mass, I didnt say any words hymns or prayers, its for them, just there for the person
wjt28
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 24 07:46

In the past I have just opted to walk out. As much as it is a persons right to pray, it is another persons right to not.
when you've got a minute can you just.......
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 24 08:25

Tykethat1+ wrote: Thu, 23rd Sep 2021, 8:00pm I’ve been working at a religious primary school for over 10 years, I’m an atheist but I accept everybody’s right to their own beliefs.
Today we’ve had a staff meeting for all staff which ended (without any prior notification) with prayers, I’m very unhappy (understatement) that this has been in effect forced on me, question is do I make a complaint or am I peeing in the wind ?
Not really in that situation but if it was me I would just stand silent. However, I wouldn't bow my head as that could be seen as going halfway and I would want it to be clear that I wasn't participating but being respectful of others.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 24 09:20

If you don't believe you can't pray so just stand there observing. Nothing disrespectful in that.

That is my go to, but people have asked me to join in. I have told them I don't believe and not had any issues.

It can be awkward as a minority tho.
UnderPaid
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 24 10:17

As a child, after a school assembly i was told off by a teacher for not singing the hymns or saying the Lords prayer. I tried to explain to him that i was an atheist but all that got me was detention! When i told the deputy head, who was taking the detention why i was there he told me i could go.
At the next assembly it was announced that all "none believers" could leave assembly along with the "other faiths" before the Hymns and prayers started at the end. Half the school walked out!
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Sep 2021 24 10:57

I worked in a C of E voluntary controlled school for over 21 years. Out the three Heads in my time there, two were atheists. I never heard of any act of religious observance among the staff in all the time I was there. None the less, there is freedom of belief in this country. That includes freedom not to espouse any religious beliefs at all. I would suggest that if a full staff meeting is going to end in a prayer meeting, you quietly withdraw at that point, as I would. Any sort of disciplinary action would fall at the first fence when you produce your contract of employment. The fact that the school mission statement might claim that it is run on Christian ethos, does not commit all staff to acceptance of having religious observance forced on them without agreement or consultation.
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sep 2021 24 13:57

I am not a believer.

I wouldn't feel the need to remove myself from the presence of those wishing to pray or say grace for example. Only if there was some compulsion to take part would I see an issue.

My presence I do not feel is religious observance.

It would look odd I think if non believers for example walked away or left a room if praying started or if hymns or carols were being sung.