Secondary school security for events

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

Hedgehog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 06:23

Secondary school security for events

When we have an after school event such as parents evening etc we only have one member of the site staff on duty outside.
We have had a couple of intruder incidents in the last week from the local hoodie brigade and obviously I have a concern now for the safety of the person on duty which sometimes means me.
How many staff do you have outside at events and does it make any difference if there are more outside to keep intruders from entering.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 07:30

Re: Secondary school security for events

Hedgehog wrote: Thu, 14th Oct 2021, 6:23am When we have an after school event such as parents evening etc we only have one member of the site staff on duty outside.
We have had a couple of intruder incidents in the last week from the local hoodie brigade and obviously I have a concern now for the safety of the person on duty which sometimes means me.
How many staff do you have outside at events and does it make any difference if there are more outside to keep intruders from entering.
One would be sufficient if there is genuine backup available in the school.

Otherwise 2 minimum
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Oct 2021 14 09:04

When I was doing evening gate duty at secondary school it used to only be me most of the time with at least one member of SLT on site somewhere with a radio as backup if there were any major issues. Sometimes they would come to join me and it did make a bit of a difference with abusive parents and other drivers.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 09:16

This is a perfect case of showing where a risk assessment needs to take place.

For me, it's low risk and not really relevant to your case. For you, it would seem that it's a higher risk issue so needs an appropriate response.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 10:18

Handyman wrote: Thu, 14th Oct 2021, 9:04am When I was doing evening gate duty at secondary school it used to only be me most of the time with at least one member of SLT on site somewhere with a radio as backup if there were any major issues. Sometimes they would come to join me and it did make a bit of a difference with abusive parents and other drivers.
Don't need it here so much but if you have radios, we have an emergency channel that will transmit to all radios regardless of channel setting. It's the last on the dial so can be selected without looking at it then simply hold onto the "key" button and everyone can hear whatever it is that is going on. no need to call for help they can come to you. You can say a phrase such as "Please move away from the Junior gate" They will know where to find you then. -Thumb_up-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
thecaretaker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Oct 2021 14 12:02

Nail wrote: Thu, 14th Oct 2021, 9:16am This is a perfect case of showing where a risk assessment needs to take place.
I would agree. Have we learnt any lessons for the Manchester Arena attack when an Islamist extremist suicide bomber detonated a shrapnel-laden homemade bomb?

Unlikely as it may be in a school environment, but what checks do you make before, during and after events?

----------------------------

My daughter went to church (Catholic) on Sunday. The church was packed with people. Sitting in front of her was an Islamic looking guy with a back pack on. He had a book open (assumedly a prayer book) with foreign text. She rang me after mass to tell me and asked what should she had done. I said get the hell out of there next time.... What he was doing in a catholic church I don't know. Maybe he was catholic. I don't know. I wouldn't have hung around and probably I would have rang the presbytery door and informed somebody (the presbytery being some distance from the church). -Angry.png-

Vérité Sans Peur
(Truth Without Fear)
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 15 08:37

Nail wrote: Thu, 14th Oct 2021, 9:16am This is a perfect case of showing where a risk assessment needs to take place.

For me, it's low risk and not really relevant to your case. For you, it would seem that it's a higher risk issue so needs an appropriate response.
Probably the best response, as it will show where/what the problem is.

Much like Nail, if I was to do the same, mine would be extremely low risk as we don't really do much after hours.

Risk assess all the way.
Drone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Oct 2021 15 11:12

I have had a few instances of the local hoodies on site during evening lettings. I had to be on site for "A" lettings ["B" lets were open up, tidy up & lock up numbers]. I routinely patrolled the outside of the building during these functions - especially the car park. If people unconnected with the hiring were on site, usually on the playing field, I would ask them, from a safe distance, to leave. If they declined, I would advise them that it was their choice, but that they should make it now as I was about to return to the school office to call the police. I also advised them that their faces had been noted in the event that there was any damage done to school later in the evening after we had all gone home. There is certainly a case for a dynamic risk assessment in these situations. I was careful not to get too close to these lads. And if they had not left the site, I would certainly have called the law, citing potential criminal damage.
jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 15 11:40

When we use to do Parents Evenings (all done via live video chat now), we only had one member of the site team on duty, but all the staff were in too, so there was plenty of back up just in the PE staff alone!!!!

Open Evenings are a different beast, for those we arrange the leave so have all the site staff on duty, and also myself and the SBM as well.