cobwebs on building

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: jay, thecaretaker, inspector, Dragonrider

cilly13
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 08:08

cobwebs on building

Hi All

I don't know if it's me being a (T&C`s) or not happy in my job at the moment but I have now been told I have to clear every doorway, window frame, corner of the building and external light of sticks, twigs, cobwebs and leaves every morning which is a nightmare considering the building is surrounded by trees on all sides as well as the ever-increasing amount of daily checks jobs I have to do every day. when I said that is not a quick job their response was well it's part of your job to keep the site clean so tuff luck get on with it. it's probably just me having a moan as I am not happy here but it just seems like any job they want falls under that site supervisor umbrella.

sorry moan over -Disappointment.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 08:29

Re: cobwebs on building

Never apologise for moaning on here, I actually think it preferable to blowing your top at work..

The only thing i can say is technically the job may fall under your contract but there are only so many hours in a day and as long as you are doing as you are told to do then just carry on until you run out of hours then the rest is not your problem..

Just take your time and do exactly as they ask and make sure they have the list of jobs you didn't complete that day because you were asked to do XXXXX.

Don't stress too much and moan away.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 08:31

Forgot to say always do your statutory checks first before moving on to the other stuff..
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 08:42

Update your CV, and have a look at the local jobs in your area. Apparently there are the most vacancies ever. None of us get paid enough to take any stress home.
They will soon shout when something else doesn't get done, let them decide what.

Have you got a leaf blower/sucker very useful.
cilly13
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 08:57

Always looking on jobs site but as don't drive it narrows my options
it is like you all say do the important stuff then the extras but the head and the higher ups just don't seem to understand, so ill just plod a long doing my thing
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 09:21

I would imagine that they are correct to say that it falls within your job description. Whether it is a good use of your time is where it gets questionable. If you are struggling to get all of the required checks done as well as these new tasks then there is an issue. If you are given 10 hours of tasks (that fall within your job description) but only have 7.5 hours to complete them in, it doesn't make it your issue that they are not all done.
Prioritise what is most important and work out how to achieve those things before any others. If you are using a tick list to record completion of tasks, I would add notes where you simply did not have the time to do things and communicate to above if the issue continues. (I would also record the occasions when you have flagged up issues to those above.)
The above will help to let them know that you are trying to comply (regardless of your thoughts on the latest request) whilst doing your best for the school.
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 09:29

My post is essentially what Vera has said but in a long-winded way!
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 10:06

Dexter wrote: Thu, 14th Oct 2021, 9:29am My post is essentially what Vera has said but in a long-winded way!
The only thing i would do different is to let them do the priority of jobs. when things don't get done you can say that you have done your best in the time allowed.
If you work out the priority of jobs then you will always be wrong.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 10:10

Also to Cilly13,

Union, join one if you haven't got one yet.. also document everything, emails are a good way to do this.

An electric bicycle will extend your range to up to 10 miles easily if you need to get out of there and find a new job.
ash70
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 14 10:13

I've just been asked to do the same sort of thing I'm beginning to feel just like a cleaner as that's all i do most of the time now
my life is like a game of tetris i never get the block i want