Pay

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Hedgehog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 28 19:32

Pay

So now the minimum pay rates are increasing to £9.50 an hour does that mean our wages will be increasing.....somehow I don't think so.

The gap between cleaners and those in a more senior position seems to be getting narrower. Makes me wonder sometimes if it's worth the extra responsibility for very little pay reward
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 28 20:05

Re: Pay

Exactly. There has to be a knock on effect or there will be a level where it’s not worth the extra responsibility for a few shillings
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Oct 2021 29 08:21

It's true, I know (outside of schools) of supervisor jobs that aren't being filled and people that have refused promotions because sometimes it is a lot of extra responsibility and hassle and these days can be only an extra 20-30p an hour which clearly isn't worth it. There have been people on this forum before who switched from caretaker to cleaner and said that they barely noticed the difference in money but were much less stressed.
The Big K
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 29 09:37

Totally agree, it's good the minimum wages increase, but ours isn't increasing at the same rate. I've been in the same role for over a decade now and the cleaners have encroached on my pay by over 30%. In real terms factoring in inflation I've taken a 18.9% pay cut in that same time. If I had kept inline with inflation I would be on an extra 4.5k p.a. I would class myself as working class not middle class. Since we've had children we've gone from disposable income of over £750 p.m. to £440 p.m. over a 7 year period. If this keeps up in a few years I'll be handing the keys back to the bank shortly.

It's like we're sleepwalking into a communist society, one where all workers are paid the same. If that's the case it'll demotivate people. Why take the extra responsibility without remuneration? I'll just go stack shelfs or the like, yes I'll be mind numb but I don't see why WE should do more than most for little or no reward at the end of it all.
eggy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 29 10:16

I raised this at my workplace about 6 years ago when the rate went up about 0.50p an hour which doesn't seem much. But if you are supervising & the difference was a £1 then it becomes 0.50p is it worth it.
We were told that they would increase everyone's money,but they never did
-Kiss.png- I AM A REALIST NOT A PESSOMIST
beagle
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 29 10:42

My previous job has just been advertised at £9.56 per hour, which is over £4.5k less than when I left 4 years ago. -JawDropped.png-
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain".
Skoolkeeper
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Caretaker
Oct 2021 29 10:43

Yes I agree with your comments and I always supported the minimum wage increases and well deserved most are, I personally have never been in that situation and with schools always crying out they have no money its a good thing. I mentioned on another post about general pay rises = 1%, 2% and some years back a pay rise freeze in the public sector! but there is or should be the opportunity for your job to be evaluated, so if you feel like I did I went for additional increments on my pay scale with paperwork/proof in hand of all the extra duties that I have/had to perform, although it took 3 years I did receive my updated pay scales and the good thing was these were back dated with the help of one school guvnor. To me it was well worth it, but at the end of the day I lost my Job and Home, another story. Early retired now living in Torrevieja Spain. -Cool.png-
redfern63
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 29 11:06

I have a theory that a lot of support staff are largely overlooked in school. I applaud the rise in minimum wage but it also needs to flow through the whole of the support structure. People see office staff and TA’s and reachers but very rarely do we get noticed.
One of the things that came out of lockdown was I was asked to guide parents round the one way system in the school and parents commented how nice it was to say hello to me as they didn’t realise there was a full time site manager, even though the bungalow is just in side the gate.
Caretakers/site managers have a lot of responsibility these days and to expect them to do all their roles an supervise cleaning staff for not a lot of money more is a little rough.
I find most of what I do is unseen as it’s done where you are not noticed around the with a lot of jobs completed before anyone else turns up or has gone home.
I’m out just talking about our roles either , a senior cook will only be on about 20p an hour over their assistant cooks.
There is a pay rise of 1.75% in the offering which will only probably cover the rise in national insurance.
There does need to be a clear cut divide in pay for responsibility and the job evaluation that took place should have provided the chance to do that but all it did was reduce a lot of caretakers pay
Hedgehog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 29 14:54

One of my daughters works similar hours to me for a well know large company ,with a name like a large rainforest, and earns 21p an hour less than me for putting goods into boxes -Shock.png-
She is 20 and i am 55 .... might jump ship -Big grin.png-
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Oct 2021 29 16:51

Hedgehog wrote: Fri, 29th Oct 2021, 2:54pm One of my daughters works similar hours to me for a well know large company ,with a name like a large rainforest, and earns 21p an hour less than me for putting goods into boxes -Shock.png-
She is 20 and i am 55 .... might jump ship -Big grin.png-
yeah but does she get the chance to stick her hand round a u bend ? Thought not