Pay

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Bilton
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 01 11:45

Re: Pay

Starting to be a touchy subject at my school. About 7 years ago LEA did a survey on how much a caretaker should be paid and put them in categories G3 here and that's where you stay once you reach the top increment. This school is very good that it has always paid about 50p above NLW. When these categories were worked out the cleaners were on around £6.31 an hour they will now be on over £10.00, which is more than our newest caretaker who is meant to supervise them . Have pointed it out to management, [on 30k and up], and they say that's the rate. If any one leaves replacing on the t's and c's will be difficult, might as well get a couple of cleaning jobs with no stress.
Hedgehog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 07:54

greenjack wrote: Fri, 29th Oct 2021, 4:51pm yeah but does she get the chance to stick her hand round a u bend ? Thought not
Ah yes, forgot about the perks of this job -Gobsmacked.png-
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 09:54

The Big K wrote: Fri, 29th Oct 2021, 9:37am Totally agree, it's good the minimum wages increase, but ours isn't increasing at the same rate. I've been in the same role for over a decade now and the cleaners have encroached on my pay by over 30%. In real terms factoring in inflation I've taken a 18.9% pay cut in that same time. If I had kept inline with inflation I would be on an extra 4.5k p.a. I would class myself as working class not middle class. Since we've had children we've gone from disposable income of over £750 p.m. to £440 p.m. over a 7 year period. If this keeps up in a few years I'll be handing the keys back to the bank shortly.

It's like we're sleepwalking into a communist society, one where all workers are paid the same. If that's the case it'll demotivate people. Why take the extra responsibility without remuneration? I'll just go stack shelfs or the like, yes I'll be mind numb but I don't see why WE should do more than most for little or no reward at the end of it all.
I think that you are right about our support staff pay in he last 10 years. It dates back to 2010 and the then Tory/Lib-Dem coalition government's response to the US sub-prime crisis and their decision to freeze public sector pay. We have had either years of freeze or sub-cost of living rises. It has led to some pay points dropping off the scales as the minimum wage is more than the aggregated national public sector pay award increases!

I think that if it seems that we are moving towards a communist state where everyone is paid similarly, it is by default by design. It is because of the erosion of pay to near very basic subsistence levels from the above repeated government policy on our pay.

If I worked in a private school I would be knocking on my boss' door regarding eroded differentials but our options are limited in the public sector. (I have voted to refuse the current offer of 1.75% as I feel a message needs to be sent. I cannot see too much changing though.)

The £9.50 is payable from April 2022. If a 35 hour week is worked it equates to £17,337. If a 37 hour week is worked it is £18,327. (When calculating salary they use 52.14 weeks per year to build in leap years.)

Here is the government link showing the change in minimum wage changes:
https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 16:56

Today I saw a job for a Trainee fish fryer in a chip shop for the same starting salary as a site manager 19k
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Nov 2021 25 17:07

The other day I saw in the educational jobs advert paper that goes out to all schools in the area they had 2 jobs next to each other. One was for a full-time (but term time only) cleaner in a college, the other was for a full time (52 weeks) site manager in a school with a whole load of abilities and experience wanted. The annual salary was only about £1100 a year more for the site manager position.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 17:29

Handyman wrote: Thu, 25th Nov 2021, 5:07pm The other day I saw in the educational jobs advert paper that goes out to all schools in the area they had 2 jobs next to each other. One was for a full-time (but term time only) cleaner in a college, the other was for a full time (52 weeks) site manager in a school with a whole load of abilities and experience wanted. The annual salary was only about £1100 a year more for the site manager position.
There was an advert locally looking for office cleaners 15.30 to 20.30 5 days a week at £15 per hour -JawDropped.png-

That will be more than i am earning for less hours.. -Cry.png-
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 18:37

Vera wrote: Thu, 25th Nov 2021, 5:29pm There was an advert locally looking for office cleaners 15.30 to 20.30 5 days a week at £15 per hour -JawDropped.png-

That will be more than i am earning for less hours.. -Cry.png-
Makes you think doesn't it? -Shock.png-

If my maths is correct and that office cleaning job is all year round that is £19,500, not bad at all especially for a 25 hour week. Could also have a nice lie-in every day or get a second job etc.
Hedgehog
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2021 01 08:45

Handyman wrote: Thu, 25th Nov 2021, 6:37pm Makes you think doesn't it? -Shock.png-

If my maths is correct and that office cleaning job is all year round that is £19,500, not bad at all especially for a 25 hour week. Could also have a nice lie-in every day or get a second job etc.
Ouch! Same here, so many jobs advertised that pay way more for so much less work!!!
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2021 01 20:01

Just seen quite a weird advert in this week's local education jobs paper - they are looking for a 15hr per week minibus driver/caretaker - the weird thing being the only guaranteed hours are 8:30-9:00 and 15:30-16:00 and for the other 10 hours a week they expect someone to be totally flexible and come in when asked. So the annual salary is £6500 and it would be hard to get a second job to support this as it sounds like they would expect the candidate to be available at all times during the week.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Dec 2021 02 07:54

Handyman wrote: Wed, 1st Dec 2021, 8:01pm Just seen quite a weird advert in this week's local education jobs paper - they are looking for a 15hr per week minibus driver/caretaker - the weird thing being the only guaranteed hours are 8:30-9:00 and 15:30-16:00 and for the other 10 hours a week they expect someone to be totally flexible and come in when asked. So the annual salary is £6500 and it would be hard to get a second job to support this as it sounds like they would expect the candidate to be available at all times during the week.
That is a weird one but you could see it suiting someone who is essentially retired but just wants a bit of something extra coming in.