CO2 Monitors

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 18 15:12

Re: CO2 monitors

Dexter wrote: Thu, 18th Nov 2021, 8:45am Ours have arrived. I've seen that the head has tried one out in his office. Nothing has been said about them yet but, I think, their bad press has arrived before them.

I open a lot of windows first thing each morning and these are still open at the end of the day. I guess that they will only be useful when the cold weather really kicks in and the windows start to close. (I've warned the BM that gas usage is going to be higher this winter.)
Our gas bill went through the roof last year, and that was with making sure it only came on for an hour or so at a time at intervals during the day.

Of course the issue is that when the doors and windows are left open the temperature drops and the frost protection kicks in, so it may as well be set to be on all day!
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 18 15:48

I haven’t put any out yet. Had them a few weeks but been off with covid. I really can’t get my head round this. Firstly, how much is this costing and who’s making shed loads out of it? Second, my schools are all over a hundred years old. Thousands of people have been schooled and worked in them in that time. What are they going to actually achieve?
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 18 16:56

greenjack wrote: Thu, 18th Nov 2021, 3:48pm I haven’t put any out yet. Had them a few weeks but been off with covid. I really can’t get my head round this. Firstly, how much is this costing and who’s making shed loads out of it? Second, my schools are all over a hundred years old. Thousands of people have been schooled and worked in them in that time. What are they going to actually achieve?
To be fair they are proving quite useful.
They act as a reminder to the teachers for when they need to open windows and doors or when it might be safe to close some.
They will also highlight when a particular room has a ventilation issue so this could be looked at specifically.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 18 17:15

In 15 years of working in schools I can honestly say I have never thought it necessary to remind or ask anyone to open a window. Quite the opposite. My schools are all Victorian and they have been ventilating the occupants for over a century. No one has needed a little plastic gadget to tell them the air is not fresh. Give me strength. Really, the dependence and love for gadgets by people today is the reason we are awash with plastic which is imported from half way round the world.
Richard M
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 19 00:22

Re: CO2 Monitors

Having the same issues. Got 12 CEM DT326's. Set them up with batteries and was comparing how each one displayed different CO2 levels!
Came back few hours later and they were all 'dead' or off. Read manual back to back. Nothing.
So would they alarm when 'off'? Do you really have to power them up each time you want a reading? If you mount them on a screw head then you need to remove them each time. This really seems crazy. How can a monitoring device trun itself off ??? Can we contact the suppliers / govt to find out what's going on? I don't want to distribute until I know they work. Any help please?
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 19 08:26

Richard M wrote: Fri, 19th Nov 2021, 12:22am Having the same issues. Got 12 CEM DT326's. Set them up with batteries and was comparing how each one displayed different CO2 levels!
Came back few hours later and they were all 'dead' or off. Read manual back to back. Nothing.
So would they alarm when 'off'? Do you really have to power them up each time you want a reading? If you mount them on a screw head then you need to remove them each time. This really seems crazy. How can a monitoring device trun itself off ??? Can we contact the suppliers / govt to find out what's going on? I don't want to distribute until I know they work. Any help please?
We have the CEM DT326 with 2 aa batteries as backup and USB lead.
If they are just on the batteries then they shut down after 10 minutes but if powered through the USB then they stay on permanently. -Thumb_up-
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 19 08:43

Did anyone with an on site pre school get monitors for them as well?

We got enough for the school but none for the pre school... -Neutral.png-
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 19 08:47

Vera wrote: Fri, 19th Nov 2021, 8:43am Did anyone with an on site pre school get monitors for them as well?

We got enough for the school but none for the pre school... -Neutral.png-
We got enough for the 2 preschool classes here as well. Not sure if that was luck or was intentional, none for any offices or other spaces.
greenjack
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 19 09:05

4 pages of post’s gone! Oh well I have a few more questions. Where are you siting these? As they need to be connected to a power supply you are limited to location. Are they at head height? Do you move them around as clearly there could be areas with less or more air flow?
steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 19 09:27

greenjack wrote: Fri, 19th Nov 2021, 9:05am 4 pages of post’s gone! Oh well I have a few more questions. Where are you siting these? As they need to be connected to a power supply you are limited to location. Are they at head height? Do you move them around as clearly there could be areas with less or more air flow?
Mostly within cable distance of the teachers computer! In most rooms this is fairly central to the room so likely gives a fairly good indication of the room as a whole.