CO2 Monitors

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

steveg
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 16 10:01

Re: CO2 monitors

Not sure if it has been posted on here yet, but the guidance for them is here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... RsSL5d5lpj
Maos
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 16 11:58

Same here, all mine turn off within a day - I tried turning them back on but they are off again in a few hours. Changing batteries has made no difference.
martthetemp
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 16 15:29

Tried one of these things today with a phone charger, and it stayed on. They came with USB cables and are now connected to USB ports on Class computers.

Nothing in the instructions of course, and if the computer is turned off the monitor goes off too. Maybe users will remember how to turn them on!
Lowershum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 16 16:42

Evening Team
We received a box of 14 with some nice cheap batteries

Rang the helpline to get more units, as we have 14 classrooms, 4 breakout rooms, a nurture room, a snug with no windows, five offices and a staff room

Spent 15 minutes on the phone with a lady who collated all sorts of information, then said there are no more you have to create a rota and move the monitors around

"Is there any thing you need help with?" she asked in innocence

Placed them in the classrooms, next day they were dead, changed the batteries in a couple they died too

No direction was supplied with them, certainly no mention of recording the readings

Plus the teachers don't want something else cluttering there rooms
Lowershum
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 16 16:45

steveg wrote: Tue, 16th Nov 2021, 10:01am Not sure if it has been posted on here yet, but the guidance for them is here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... RsSL5d5lpj
The monitors we received were a different model "CEM" was the b rand name, plus there was no charger in the pack
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 16 19:22

Looks like a box just landed on my desk, I will ignore them till somebody says something
Dunroamin
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 17 10:17

I’ve been round with our box full this morning. All staff seemed excited to get one as it’s a new toy, I could see the excitement wearing off as I explained they had to open windows and doors if the alarm sounds (had one as a test in one classroom yesterday, alarm stopped sounding 4 minutes after opening all 4 windows, an external and an internal door). I fully expect to find them later either unplugged or turned off. On a side note, does anybody know if these monitors have to be calibrated/tested by a ‘professional’ periodically
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 17 14:31

Those monitors are just to give an idea of the level of ventilation required to reduce exposure to covid.

They are probably not calibratable or stable enough to get meaningful repeatable measurements.

I think the units are cheaper than the cost of calibration, which is likely to be around 100GBP. That's a typical cost for PAT or meter calibration.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 18 08:36

Ours have been in a day now and all appears good most classrooms are around the 700 to 900 mark and first thing in the morning the are all 400 to 500.

Most teachers seem to be following the instructions to open windows if it gets too high but then we have high Corona numbers at the moment so they are all a bit more vigilant..

Early days yet so they will soon get bored when it is colder and they want to close the windows..
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Dexter
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 18 08:45

Ours have arrived. I've seen that the head has tried one out in his office. Nothing has been said about them yet but, I think, their bad press has arrived before them.

I open a lot of windows first thing each morning and these are still open at the end of the day. I guess that they will only be useful when the cold weather really kicks in and the windows start to close. (I've warned the BM that gas usage is going to be higher this winter.)