CO2 Monitors

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Dunroamin
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 19 10:22

Re: CO2 Monitors

greenjack wrote: Fri, 19th Nov 2021, 9:05am 4 pages of post’s gone! Oh well I have a few more questions. Where are you siting these? As they need to be connected to a power supply you are limited to location. Are they at head height? Do you move them around as clearly there could be areas with less or more air flow?
Due to only receiving batteries and usb cable with ours, in the classrooms that have an interactive touch screen linked to a computer whiteboard thing, I’ve plugged into the USB port on the sidelines the board. For those classrooms still with the projector linked to a computer, I’ve plugged to a USB port on the computer and sited as far away from the computer as possible. In both cases, I’ve situated them at roughly head height to the children when they are sat at their desks. Regarding fixing in place, I’ve used the Velcro command strip things
hammer1978
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Nov 2021 19 11:13

we got ours on Monday and when i checked this morning most of them are sitting in draws or hidden away. What a waste of money!!
-Scared.png- -Shock.png- -Zip.png- -Angry.png-
Elephantpaul63
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 20 14:30

Ours turned up yesterday, the head got as far as section 2 of the instructions then came and found me and said, see what you can do set them up put them where they are needed but don't use the alarm unless you have to.
Dawn67
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 21 10:05

Re: CO2 monitors

Hello
So can I clarify that these monitors turn themselves off and when the level changes they turn themselves back on and an alarm sounds. We’ve a lot of windows in our Victorian school and finding a place that’s not in an draft at head height does not tend to be where a plug socket is. I’m 3 weeks into this job and the head is very fastidious and want to get it right. Thank you
Taz
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 21 22:53

Dawn67 wrote: Sun, 21st Nov 2021, 10:05am Hello
So can I clarify that these monitors turn themselves off and when the level changes they turn themselves back on and an alarm sounds. We’ve a lot of windows in our Victorian school and finding a place that’s not in an draft at head height does not tend to be where a plug socket is. I’m 3 weeks into this job and the head is very fastidious and want to get it right. Thank you
From my limited experience from them, I think the main issue is that they turn themselves off, and then need switching back on.

Another "friend of the government" who was awarded (probably) a contract by his mate in power, for a few quid in return.

The box I have, are still sat in my office, but will be moved this week as it's making the place look untidy and cluttered. Office is small enough as it is.

90% of teachers won't turn off a light. They certainly won't plug in these monitors and make sure they're charged daily.
Aquion551
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Nov 2021 22 09:24

My reading of the instructions is that the frequency that the unit samples the air can be set on the monitor. The screen going blank is just a power saving feature. Whether the monitor is sampling the air continuously is not made clear in the instructions. If it does, and if the CO2 alarm detection levels have been set then I would guess the alarm would sound if CO2 gets too high.

What I do is test each room as and when I can by just turning each monitor on and taking a reading for the room. (Better done with the kids in) .
All my readings have been all good so far.
grumpy1
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Site Manager
Nov 2021 24 10:07

Hi all,
Just been reading through the comments, seems to be a common thing that these monitors switch themselves off. I have plugged them into our schools smart boards/ laptops using the USB cables, but the same thing happens they go off when the staff power everything down.

I have plugged one into a USB mains adapter this morning, just had a TA come to me and say the monitor has gone off. Has anyone else tried mains adapters ? -Mad.png-
Dunroamin
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 24 11:26

grumpy1 wrote: Wed, 24th Nov 2021, 10:07am Hi all,

I have plugged one into a USB mains adapter this morning, just had a TA come to me and say the monitor has gone off. Has anyone else tried mains adapters ? -Mad.png-
I have one from 14 plugged in via a usb mains adaptor. What I’ve found is if the mains is switched off, the monitor will close itself down, however if left on, the monitor will stay on.

All mine except the one mentioned are powered with either smart screen or computer. What I do find annoying is that though all computers and screens are turned off at night, some CO2 monitors will be on when I open up in the mornings. Some will start themselves when the screen / computer is turned on, others won’t. Even more annoying is some of the monitors that have turned themselves off have saved the ‘ I’ll beep at this level of CO2’, whilst others seem to have completely factory resettled themselves.
Handyman
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Nov 2021 24 12:02

We had ours delivered late last week. I set them up, there was interest for about 5 minutes and most of them now seem to have been forgotten about already. It has got a lot colder round here the last few days and I think the teachers don't like the monitors telling them to open even more door and windows.
Snowy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 24 20:57

Hi,
I installed our monitors this week, to get the monitors to read 1000ppm or below in a classroom of 30 ish children is extremely difficult without the majority of windows open. Also we don't have any heating on at all as the heat goes straight out the window!! Children are shivering.....

somethings got to give.