CO2 Monitors

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 06:32

Re: CO2 monitors

Snowy wrote: Wed, 24th Nov 2021, 8:57pm Hi,
I installed our monitors this week, to get the monitors to read 1000ppm or below in a classroom of 30 ish children is extremely difficult without the majority of windows open. Also we don't have any heating on at all as the heat goes straight out the window!! Children are shivering.....

somethings got to give.
Why are you aiming for 1000? I thought the cause for 'concern' was consistently over 1500.
Bigbear69
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 06:58

Snowy wrote: Wed, 24th Nov 2021, 8:57pm Hi,
I installed our monitors this week, to get the monitors to read 1000ppm or below in a classroom of 30 ish children is extremely difficult without the majority of windows open. Also we don't have any heating on at all as the heat goes straight out the window!! Children are shivering.....

somethings got to give.
I would have the heating on anyway, your not paying the bill so dont worry about it.
MWCracker
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 07:02

Re: CO2 Monitors

I was given 13 of the Rexel ones and they turn themselves off after a couple of hours even with the USB plugged in a socket and PC. I have created a readings sheet but I told the HT and she said just take them down and we will email the Government and the manufacturer.

Waste of our tax payer money if you ask me!

Never needed these before why now?? Because of COVID. In our school they ventilate all the time before the pandemic as the teachers get hot with our heating. The only thing thing thats changed is I have to open more communal windows to ventilate when I come in at 6am, I used to open a few to airate the place because our place gets a funny odour when the heating is on.
The power of the hour maketh you stronger for longer. -Success.png-
DinoD
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 07:42

Glad I found this site not only for CO2 monitors power supply issues but so many other things as well.
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 08:06

I have not had any problems with mine switching off but i made sure they were all plugged in to USB power adaptors not into PC's or laptops as these will go into power save and turn off the USB sockets which in turn will lead to the co2 monitors to shutdown after a period of time.

They are useful as a reminder to those teachers who will not open windows we use 1000 ppm as the time they should be opening more windows to ventilate better.
The heating is of course on and yes it is mostly going out the windows but you have to provide some heat for the children to keep the rooms reasonable.

I actually think that this is one of the better ideas even if the DFE have accidentally done as a reaction to COVID, Air quality can have huge benefits to children's concentration in classrooms.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! -JawDropped.png-
Jomell
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 08:50

Fortunately, our KS2 classrooms were built with CO2 monitors in each classroom. When the CO2 level gets too high, a baffle in the heater opens and cool air is drawn into the classroom.

Government-issued CO2 monitors - what of waste of time and money! -Angry.png-
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 08:55

Nail wrote: Thu, 25th Nov 2021, 6:32am Why are you aiming for 1000? I thought the cause for 'concern' was consistently over 1500.
I wouldn't be aiming for the worst acceptable air quality, but something closer to good. You might not get it of course but surely you'd aim for it.
AndyCornwall
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 08:58

Jomell wrote: Thu, 25th Nov 2021, 8:50am Fortunately, our KS2 classrooms were built with CO2 monitors in each classroom. When the CO2 level gets too high, a baffle in the heater opens and cool air is drawn into the classroom.

Government-issued CO2 monitors - what of waste of time and money! -Angry.png-
Half our school has this type of ventilation, off the top of my head I don't know the level of co2 required to switch the fans on. I like it but the teachers having been told the system is in place and that there is an override button, would rather have the windows open all day.
Nail
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2021 25 09:32

AndyCornwall wrote: Thu, 25th Nov 2021, 8:55am I wouldn't be aiming for the worst acceptable air quality, but something closer to good. You might not get it of course but surely you'd aim for it.
The guidance says:

"You should take action to improve ventilation where CO2 readings are consistently higher than 1500ppm. There is no
need to stop using the room."

Why arbitrarily decide the level should be 1000 instead? Why not 1010? Why not 900?
Redone
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Caretaker
Nov 2021 25 14:27

Hi i was having the same problem with the DT-326 air monitor's that we received in that they kept tuning off even when using the USB cable. Untill i removed the batteries that i had installed in them first. Now they seem to stay on.