Trampolines

The forum to discuss work issues, Health and Safety, COSHH, Risk Assessments, Security...

Moderators: inspector, Dragonrider, jay, thecaretaker

strider
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 26 09:51

Trampolines

I apologise if this has been a subject in the past.
How many caretakers on here have to put up trampolines and end decks as part of their job. we have to here but are not overly happy with it not only the extra job, there being one caretaker on duty ( occasionally two ) but seven pe staff. but also what happens if something went wrong and god forbid someone got hurt.
We have not had any official training just been shown how to but them up, but even with training im not sure I would be happy with the responsibility if a child got injured
Vera
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 26 14:27

Re: Trampolines

Not currently but in a previous job we were told that trampolines were one of the few bits of equipment we must never setup or repair.
It was the PE staff who would set it up (as per their risk assessment) and a contractor would come to do repairs.
i'm going to need a bigger bucket! [JawDropped.png]
There's no such thing as bad weather, Only the wrong clothes [Like.png]
jholden
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 26 14:52

Very brave. It should be the PE staff who set them up, as they will (hopefully) be qualified to do so. We got rid of all our trampolines many many years ago, and we even have an ex UK national champion and qualified coach on our staff.
Ash
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jan 2022 26 16:41

Might be wrong but I believe you need to be trained, but either way if I was you I wouldn't do it especially if your by yourself as most require several people to safely assemble.
jay
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jan 2022 26 21:41

PE staff set up and dismantle PE kit.
I would only visually check PE kit for loose screws, anything other, then professional repair.
N=R* x Fp x Ne x Fl x Fi x Fc x (1+Nr) x Fm x L
(If you and I were in the staffroom, it would be the only even prime number.)

Come the revolution, I won't be able to afford the petrol to get there.
magpie
Registered Member
Registered Member
Job Status: Retired Site Manager
Jan 2022 26 22:23

Refer your PE staff to the BALPE book that all PE staff have to adhere to and should have in their department. Trampolines should never be set up by a single person and specific training has to be given to any member of staff putting them up. We would occasionally help if there was only 1 member of the PE staff available but it was very much doing everything at their instruction. I think under H&S grounds you should approach your SLT and explain the situation but also make sure that your PE staff do have a copy of the BALPE book.
You are only as young as your knees let you feel.
Longbroom
Registered Member
Registered Member
Feb 2022 09 18:41

We had a Trampoline delivered 4 month ago and it has not been used yet as The PE staff have just come back from training. We have been informed that the trampoline is the PE staff responsibility and not to be touched as we are not trained.
strider
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 15 08:12

it that time of year again only different being i am now being told i have to put the trampolines up or else
i am really not happy i am not comfortable or even confident in doing this even though i know if someone gets hurt it is the problem of the teacher and not mine i still feel i would partially blame myself.
i have explained this to the powers that be adding that all other schools i come across the pe staff put the trampolines up and the British trampolining association say that it should be done by 2 trained pe staff or the children under striked instruction from pe staff and many other sites i have searched say much the same but it has done no good.
The question is if i refuse point blank can i loose my job and house?
Sorry for the rant but i know you guys will listen ha ha
Rockstar
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 15 08:47

Sounds like a call to your union rep is in order at this stage. Good luck. I hope you get the issue sorted.
You see, Rock and Roll isn't a career or hobby - it's a life force. It's something very essential. - The Edge.
Eddy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Nov 2022 15 09:07

If you have trampolines on site, then there should also be relevent risk Assessments and Policies.

One of these should state that only suitably trained personnel should be erecting said trampoline.
Instead of being bullish, and saying a straight no, you could, meet them halfway, and agree to do it if you are given the proper training.

You cannot be made to do something that you believe to be an inherent H&S risk to you (in this case manual handling) or others (risk of incorrect setup).
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the road with a bald head and beer gut, and still think they look good.
You reap what you sow!